Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I did suggest to him tonight that whichever parent is with her at the time makes the final decision on the issue at hand but he wasn't happy about that suggestion. I'm not eligible for legal aid any more so want to leave court as a last resort but I guess he wouldn't willingly give up that right if I try and get it done through the child welfare officer (as that doesn't cost)
If CPS determines that he's putting the child at harm, can't he lose the power to make medical decisions that way? He opened this can of worms by calling CPS so I'd ride it as far as you can take it.

If CPS can't/won't make that determination, I don't see how you will resolve this without going back to court. Start saving money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 12:50 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If CPS determines that he's putting the child at harm, can't he lose the power to make medical decisions that way? He opened this can of worms by calling CPS so I'd ride it as far as you can take it.

If CPS can't/won't make that determination, I don't see how you will resolve this without going back to court. Start saving money.
All they said to him was that we need to figure out a way of making these decisions without endless arguing and calling CPS (this isn't the first time, they have a big file on us ), although maybe he didn't tell them exactly what the issue was. I guess I will have to go back to court.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:51 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
You are completely missing that the father doesn't want to leave the decisions to the professionals. That's why she's posting here. They can't even agree on which medical professional to use. Based on my extensive experience caring for a family that has had many medical situations---my children and husband---nobody should blindly follow a doctor's advice. You take it into consideration, consult other professionals, do your own research, and make the decision yourself.
Reread what I posted.
Never once did I say or advocate blind obedience.
I in fact said the exact opposite.

Their problem is not a medical one.
It is s typical divorced couple cannot/will not agree one.

See it all the time.
It is about putting the kid in the middle of a perpetual tug of war.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
All they said to him was that we need to figure out a way of making these decisions without endless arguing and calling CPS (this isn't the first time, they have a big file on us ), although maybe he didn't tell them exactly what the issue was. I guess I will have to go back to court.
Yes.

There should be one person in charge of medical care.

Decision by consensus is terrible in matters of medicine.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes.

There should be one person in charge of medical care.

Decision by consensus is terrible in matters of medicine.
It really seems to be that way, just doesn't work trying to compromise as it always ends up me giving in and doing what he says which isn't always best for her.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:47 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
What is your visitation schedule?

I'm wondering if you can just take her to the doctor and give her the antibiotics without discussing it with him.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I'm wondering if you can just take her to the doctor and give her the antibiotics without discussing it with him.
Not advisable. If she winds up needing care while with him, the docs would be better off knowing which meds she has been on lately.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
nobody should blindly follow a doctor's advice. You take it into consideration, consult other professionals, do your own research, and make the decision yourself.
While the child gets sicker and sicker? I can see doing that when there are different treatment options available, and advocates for both. But, for a simple case of strep throat and other common childhood ailments, all that double checking is bound to drive a parent, and the health care provider, nuts.

OP, I understand where your child's father is coming from. Antibiotics have been over-prescribed for years, and I'm pretty sure my own pediatrician resorted to them more often than necessary. But, your little girl feels awful, and a couple of days on antibiotics will make all the difference in the world (but make sure she finishes the bottle!). Strep, not suspected strep, needs to be dealt with.

Last edited by Jaded; 05-31-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I was going to do that if it was only a 7 day course but its a ten day course and she goes to his next weekend so she'll still be on the course. I've told him I'm going to wait til the morning and discuss again then but I'm probably going to lie and tell him that her fever spiked in the night or something (as he was telling me to just wait and see if she gets worse or not) and start it in the morning. He knows well enough that the course has to be finished once its started so I can trust him to continue giving her the antibiotics.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
my husband and i dont see eye to eye on not vaccinating. So the compromise is " If you want them vaccinated, then you take the time off work and get it done"-- its been 9yrs and 2 of the 3 have never had a shot in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting