Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times

Advertisements

Before the advent of TV, internet, and console gaming, how on earth did our ancestors keep their kids from nagging them every constanst second.

When I look at myself, if I had no TV when I was kid, I dont know what I would have done for a large portion of the day. Maybe I would have been outside more playing.

What did kids in the 60s, 50s, civil war era, and before do to keep their ADHD occupied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
I grew up in the late 80s and early 90s, so we did have TV, video games, and a computer. However, we didn't play/watch them all that often and still ddn't nag our parents. We were way too busy playing to have time to bug our parents.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:19 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
In the 80's and 90's children still played outside. We had tvs, and video games, and a family computer, but when the weather was nice, who wanted to sit inside when they could see kids running around having fun? Nobody I knew.

I think there is a lot less nagging when the tv is off. No commercials, right?

Most kids I know today (not the OP obviously), would still rather be active than passively staring at a screen.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
I think much of what the OP could be talking about can very easily be seen in parents who think they constantly have to entertain their children. It's something I've noticed a huge uptick in, but that could just be my own experience. Many kids don't learn how to play on their own and grow dependent on playing with their parents. Full disclosure: I'm not a parent, but this is something I've seen and something other parents I know have talked about.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Mom would simply tell the kids to go outside and don't come back until lunch. Then, after lunch, she'd tell the kids to go outside and don't come back until dinner.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Before the advent of TV, internet, and console gaming, how on earth did our ancestors keep their kids from nagging them every constanst second.

When I look at myself, if I had no TV when I was kid, I dont know what I would have done for a large portion of the day. Maybe I would have been outside more playing.

What did kids in the 60s, 50s, civil war era, and before do to keep their ADHD occupied?
We went outside. Disappeared for hours on end until we got hungry or it got too hot. If we complained that we were bored, our moms would tell us we had the option to clean our rooms. Right back out the door!

Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,839,321 times
We limit our childrens Media time to 30 minutes a day. The rest of the time they do homeschool, play in their room, play outside, music, just be kids.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:50 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
As a child in the late 1950's, early 1960's during the summer months I was outdoors all day & into the evening hours. Only inside to have lunch & dinner.

Even so, my Mom still said that I drove her crazy.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Before the advent of TV, internet, and console gaming, how on earth did our ancestors keep their kids from nagging them every constanst second[?]
They shoved 'em out the door and said "go play with your friends and be home by dinnertime (preferably no sooner)." Nowadays parents panic at the thought of their kids being out of their immediate control for more than 2 minutes unless they're in some other supervised place like school or soccer practice; and most any kid who is told to "go outside and play with your friends" will find nobody outside play with because their peers are either hunkered down at home or away at some scheduled, supervised activity.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:22 AM

513 posts, read 798,782 times
I grew up in the 90s and we had the brand new original Nintendo (and eventually sega genesis) but we spent most of our time playing in the neighborhood. We had a gold course behind us with tons of woods, caves, creeks, etc. It was amazing to a child who thought they were discovering stuff no one saw before.

We only played video games when it was rainy or dark out. Otherwise, we went to each other's homes and played board games, rode our bikes, went exploring the woods, etc. It was fun. My dad would take us to a new park every week and we would pack our bikes and find a new place to play. It was one of my favorite childhood memories. Especially when we found a creek that was extremely deep and a huge hallowed out rock next to it. You could go to the top of the rock (about 10. Ft) and jump in, then climb up into the hallow part and sit with your feet in the water and relax as others jumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting