Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:33 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times

Advertisements

HELP! My DD wants a pink elephant Vera Bradley backpack and I haven't been able to find one from Christmas. Could only find the black background and all the girls have a pink background.

I am hoping that someone out there will have a teenge girl who knows what the next best Vera Bradley pattern is for backpacks.

I remember when I wanted a certain coat for school and for Christmas I got one that was much better quality, but it wasn't what the others all had and I was really unhappy with it.

She wears uniforms to school, so backpacks are the one thing they can do to show their individuality, which, as a teen, means conformity with the cool kids- LOL!

Also, any good online sites? I don't do E-bay. Vera Bradley has a good site. Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:54 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,567 times
if she wants to show individuality then maybe she would be happy with the black one since all the other girls have the same boring pink ones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
HELP! My DD wants a pink elephant Vera Bradley backpack and I haven't been able to find one from Christmas. Could only find the black background and all the girls have a pink background.

I am hoping that someone out there will have a teenge girl who knows what the next best Vera Bradley pattern is for backpacks.

I remember when I wanted a certain coat for school and for Christmas I got one that was much better quality, but it wasn't what the others all had and I was really unhappy with it.

She wears uniforms to school, so backpacks are the one thing they can do to show their individuality, which, as a teen, means conformity with the cool kids- LOL!

Also, any good online sites? I don't do E-bay. Vera Bradley has a good site. Any others?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:04 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,146 times
I got a great Vera Bradley bag for a deep discount on Ebay- if you won't use that would you consider bidz?

Old 12-14-2007, 07:44 AM

Nic- no, individuality has a different def. at her age. She is not a conformist and normally isn't into labels. That's what is so weird about this. This summer a relative gave her a knock-off Bradley handbag and she wouldn't use it. She didn't want a real one, just didn't want to use the knock-off. Since this is important to her, I know she will love getting the backpack. If she was jumping through all kinds of hoops to suck up to the in-crowd, I would feel that I needed to handle it differently, but since this is the only thing she is doing/wanting, I am not so concerned.

Pirate- thank you for the DMs.... and I have never heard of bidz....will check it out, too.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:20 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
The next best one is any... in a bonfire. I never understood the fascination with Vera Bradley bags and neither did most of my friends who owned them after a few months!

For something trendy like that, maybe you should make her earn it for herself? I just say that because they come and go so fast that in a few months, she may think the bags are as hideous as the rest of the world does! :P

Old 12-14-2007, 09:34 AM

i never thought vera bradley bags were attractive either. if your daughter gets a pink one like everyone else then wouldnt she eventually end up going home with someone else's out of confusion? could you mark it somehow so she knows it is hers? check out jungle jim's website. they are an international market in ohio and carry vera bradley bags.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,146 times
I think it's great that HIF wants to get her daughter what she asked for. She didn't ask for a critique in her daughter's tastes, she just asked for help finding one.

Anyone who's a mom understands that when a child has their heart set on one thing for Christmas, you do what you can to get it.

HIF, I'm sure you're sorry you asked. But I sent you a DM..

Last edited by pirate girl; 12-14-2007 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 12-14-2007, 09:45 AM

i am sorry. i was only insulting vera bradley bags and agreeing with another poster. i didnt mean to sound as if i was insulting the mother or the child. (if you meant my post of course). yes, i too will try to get my children what they want (within reason).

Old 12-14-2007, 01:38 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
I didn't mean to insult the poster or her daughter either... but I'm less than 2 years out of high school so I know how fast what a girl is into changes, especially something trendy like those bags. My mom would never buy me something so expensive knowing that I might not want to use it 6 months later.... that's not a value judgment on the OP but just something to think about. My mom never gave me something I wanted in the heat of my teenage wants but rather things that I would enjoy for years and remember.

To the OP- why don't you use Ebay? You could certainly find things for quite a bit off.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:22 PM

No problem, I'm not offended in the least. And I agree, they are not all that. If there weren't a gazillion everwhere, a purse might look nice with a particular summer outfit or two if it tied it together with all the colors in the print. But the patterns are too busy and colorful to use everyday, IMHO.

I saw her tonight at a game and when a girl passed with one with the elephants, I aksed if that was the one she liked so much and it was......

Yes, Pirate Girl, I remember standing in line or going store to store for the hot game system, the transformers, the zip zaps....a specific Elmo.....for my sons.

Charo- I guess I should try E-bay again. I had a bad experience with it once and never went back. She's wanted this for four months, so I'm sure she will use it for the rest of the year. And we can use it when we travel after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting