Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:51 PM

36 posts, read 49,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am not following you. You want a casual conversation and you want it to stay on topic? She is a teenager right? Let the conversation flow with her and let her talk. She does want to talk and have you listen to her. We have 3 teenagers in the house. All boys. They like to talk to. My thought is to let them talk and take an active part in the conversation. Who cares where it goes. If you want to switch gears and have a conversation that is "on track" then let her know you want to discuss a specific topic for now.

When I say "casual", I mean "not antagonistic". "Off-topic" is a poor word choice but it's the best I could come up with to type here. Our conversations have no specific topic (very random most days), but when they start spiraling downhill because she's intentionally wants me to debate her, which always leads with her sulking and getting hyper-defensive (she loves arguing topics, but hates when another view is introduced that could be right)....that's what I consider off-topic, especially when the debate points aren't anything remotely related to anything we're talking about, they're seemingly created to stir up drama and they effectively shut our conversations down.

Teenage boys aren't the same, sorry. There's just no comparison there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
This is why I told my mom don't talk to my sister until she hits college lol. They still butt heads and my sister is 25 now

Old 06-06-2014, 02:26 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallturtle View Post
When I say "casual", I mean "not antagonistic". "Off-topic" is a poor word choice but it's the best I could come up with to type here. Our conversations have no specific topic (very random most days), but when they start spiraling downhill because she's intentionally wants me to debate her, which always leads with her sulking and getting hyper-defensive (she loves arguing topics, but hates when another view is introduced that could be right)....that's what I consider off-topic, especially when the debate points aren't anything remotely related to anything we're talking about, they're seemingly created to stir up drama and they effectively shut our conversations down.

Teenage boys aren't the same, sorry. There's just no comparison there.
We went through this. My teen would come home with some debate topic in mind (something that she had come across in the course of her day) and would want to expound on her point of view but wasn't really interested in my thoughts. She just wanted some feedback and validation about HER point of view that she didn't necessarily get from the earlier conversation.

I tried to make positive comments such as: You have really put a lot of thought into this. or I like that you are so passionate about this. or You have some pretty creative solutions to this problem.

I also think they do want to feel in control of the conversation. If things veer from something I want or need to talk to her about, I just bring it up again later. Mostly these days we just talk about her scheduling needs because she is ridiculously overscheduled. The other day I asked her to drop a babysitting job (Two weeks in advance) so we could have ONE DAY to go to the beach as a family) She bit my head off!

Old 06-06-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Don't take it personally. I think almost all teenage girls go though this. I simply don't react to most of it (if it won't lead to life long consequences - or is completely disrespectful - it's not worth the argument).

However, I will caution against keeping all conversations 'causal' and happy. That just isn't how it is. Teenagers are working out lots of things for themselves....they are moody. Let her use you to hone those ideas and weed out the ones that really won't work. Let her have that safe place to be herself in your home.

One of the funniest examples I have is one Thursday I picked up my daughter after school and she was nothing but a major grump. Just horrid. She was arguing with me that Thursday as a day of the week was completely unneeded. I kept challenging her logic (not hard with this one but it was everything I could do to not laugh at her earnest, if impractical - logic!) and finally she admitted that Thursday would always happen even if it was called something else. Found at that for the last 3 Thursdays in a row, she had had something pretty bad happen...and she was frustrated and tired of it and a bit stressed at it building up. I would have never known that from her attitude when I picked her up.

I definitely don't try to keep all conversations casual and happy. And when I pick her up and she's in a grumpy mood, I'm okay with it....I know school is hard. I don't expect her to be all smiles every day.

What happened with yours on Thursday, that's exactly my daughter's logic. But she would tell me at the beginning of the conversation why she didn't want Thursday to exist. For the most part, she tells me her issues and I listen, I don't judge, I'm sympathetic. If she doesn't want to talk, I don't push. I revisit it later.

About 90% of the time I don't react. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Teenagers suck!! Especially girls!! At least mine did! I did learn one thing - Don't engage. Other than that, pray!
Haha, thanks.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
Drop your end of the rope, Mom. If your girl starts to get grumpy, either ask her what is really bothering her (in a non-snarky way) or say that she is welcome to discuss anything with you at any time but that you'd appreciate it if she didn't get mad at you for expressing an opinion. But don't jump to the conclusion that she is being purposefully difficult.

You know, the way you'd approach a friend or a co-worker or any other relative.

Sometimes, too, people just want a sounding board, not a 'debate'. Ask her open-ended questions -- what did you do? How did you feel? What do you think you could have done differently? -- to spark more conversation. Unless she asks what you think, don't volunteer too much. Above all, never say 'when I was your age...' (G)

Old 06-06-2014, 03:05 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
No, teenagers do not 'suck'.....and especially not girls. Teens are challenging, you can't parent them like you would a younger child...but they certainly do not suck and can be quite delightful and fun to be around.

Most are great young adults just trying to figure out their place.....parents should be embracing that.
You didn't/don't know mine...

Old 06-06-2014, 03:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Most of them go through a difficult stage, yes, and there's little you can do but hold on for the ride.
Agreed! There's no magic formula. If there were, we'd all use it!

Old 06-06-2014, 03:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallturtle View Post
I'm going to start by saying my daughter is a good, albeit very lazy, kid. She doesn't do drugs, does well in school (because she wants to, not because I tell her she has to get good grades), keeps her room clean and for the most part picks up after herself. She helps with chores when asked but "she forgets" unless reminded. The "forgetting" and laziness is a whole different topic though.

But...omfg she is SO IRRITATING. I can't have a casual conversation without her turning it into some kind of completely unrelated discussion, which I engage until it becomes a challenge (like she's trying to prove something).
Congratulations. You have a healthy daughter.

Many moms don't have that. The ones that don't would love to have a daughter who does well in school, doesn't do drugs, and has the intelligence to debate.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:42 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
Quote:
No, teenagers do not 'suck'.....and especially not girls. Teens are challenging, you can't parent them like you would a younger child...but they certainly do not suck and can be quite delightful and fun to be around.

Most are great young adults just trying to figure out their place.....parents should be embracing that.
Lighten up. The poster was being humorous.

And yes, at times teens do suck!!! Mine exhausts me at times and gives me grey hairs!!

In response to the OP...I can relate. I told my daughter that she should be a lawyer since many things turn into a huge debate. Obviously my comment rubbed off because at her 8th grade graduation ceremony, her career goal was to be a lawyer, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting