Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:35 PM

911 posts, read 2,154,685 times

Advertisements

My 11 year old daughter drives me crazy... My other kids are pretty well adjusted. (Although, my 13 and 15 year old boys are of course testing boundaries)

Here's a list of some of the issues we are having..

Is mean to others , and nitpicks about very minor things.. Also refers to the offending things they do as "always", or alternately, "never".
Sample: Chloe ALWAYS calls me names! (or) He NEVER lets me play with that!
While she nitpicks on others, she routinely does worse things to them in retribution. Example- if her little sister, say, colors on a page of her "favorite" coloring book, she will maybe rip up a book of her sister's, or break her markers.
Even though her revenge is way worse (purposefully) than whatever someone else did to her, she still thinks of *everyone* else being very unfair and mean to her, and that everyone else is the bad guy.
She tries to argue when I attempt to have conversations with her about these behaviors.
If I'm not around to oversee, she will sit and do nothing while the other kids do her chores, even though they confront her about it, she'll just argue or say something snotty back. But if my son is late to do his dishes, she'll rip him apart over it and tell on him.
She is very uncomfortable looking people in the eye.
She's very soft spoken
She seems very polite and sweet to everyone outside of the family (no one believes me when I tell them about her attitude ) lol

To me, she seems like emotionally, she's maybe half her age. She's smart and pretty and artistic and a very neat kid, but her attitude towards others and towards her chores has always been off. She has always blamed others for anything wrong she does, and she won't be reasoned with. She acts like she has low self esteem, but she receives plenty of praise when praise is due.. But most of the time her behavior makes it impossible to do so.

Anyone have any ideas on what might change her perception of others? Everything is a big conspiracy from her point of view, and I think that's where the problem is coming from. Either that, or she's using that as an excuse, because I just don't see how she could see so much fault in everyone else, when her behavior is worse.

Thanks for any ideas. I hate posting this kind of thing on a forum because of the amount of criticism and assumption these posts tend to generate, but I thought id fish for ideas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 02:38 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
Sounds like she's an intense and perfectionistic kid. It's temperament. Sorry I don't think you can change it! Some people are always going to be intense.

I have a couple of "it's never my fault" kids, and I agree, it's annoying!

Old 06-07-2014, 02:38 PM

I said she's very soft spoken. But she's not soft spoken at all when she's being confrontational or angry. That's the only time she speaks at an audible volume.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Thanks Shay, at least I'm not alone. Hehe

Old 06-07-2014, 02:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
So where is she in the birth order?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:43 PM

Number 3 out of 8.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Number 3 out of 8.
Seriously?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:47 PM

Yes?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:52 PM

Well, I'm going to go with the easy option: This is her way of getting attention, being kind of in the middle of a pack.

Is there a generally antagonistic environment with most of the kids, or does this attitude from her stick out as REALLY different from the other kids? How do the siblings react when she does this?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:56 PM

It REALLY stands out. Her sister (9) is starting to emulate it though. (Sigh) honestly, Dh works from home and I stay at home, I'm not sure how to give her anymore attention... I mean, the kids usually all play together so it's not like I'm always under a pile of kids... Id have plenty of time for her if she needed. I can see why that would be a thought with so many kids here, but I think we are together more that most families.... Could that be the issue? Too much togetherness?? Haha

The siblings don't even bother arguing with her anymore because she gets so bent out of shape. Usually one of the older boys will let me know what she's doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting