Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:12 AM

246 posts, read 1,073,317 times

Advertisements

There are also services available through Social Services in a lot of states. If finances don't allow for you to pay for it yourself, you should check there. The internet is a great resources for finding what's available in your area. In CA we had a local program that you could take your child for counseling for free or a small sliding fee depending on your income (used to help keep the program running) and it topped off at I think $10 a session. The counselors/psychologists volunteered their time for this and specialized in children. Maybe your area has something like that. Very worth checking into. Some school districts also offer something like this.

I'm so sorry for your loss! I really pray you are able to find a way to help your sister. I think it's wonderful that you are reaching out on her behalf. You're definitely a very strong person and that shines through to your younger siblings for sure.

God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 PM

708 posts, read 688,005 times
i bless you all for all the responses! we can't offord all of us to do consuling but my grandma is putting me braison anthony and deborah in conusling not Madeline since shes only 9 months, she said you guys are more important. im very thankful for all your responses.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:33 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Cali,

I'm so sorry to hear that your little sister is depressed. It's normal to feel this way and as others have suggested, counseling will do wonders. She's really lucky to have a big sister like you; you are a good person.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:27 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
[SIZE=2]I'm glad to hear your Grandma is getting you all in counseling. I agree it is better for your sister to all go together. Here are some other phone numbers you might call for more help with your little sis:

Grief Support Group: 7 p.m. the third Thursday each month. Norman Regional Hospital Education Center, 901 N. Porter. Call Mike Bumgarner, 307-1037.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
Reach-Out Hotline: (24 hour referral) toll-free statewide 1(800) 522-9054.

Teen 2 Teen: Oklahoma City, (405) 271-TEEN for local Oklahoma City calls or 1(800) 522-9054 toll-free statewide.
[/SIZE]
http://www.ucok.edu/student_counseling/counseling/images/spacer.gif (broken link)

Old 12-16-2007, 10:51 AM

919 posts, read 3,184,408 times
I would get into counseling ASAP..she lost her parents, that is a very serious matter for a seven year old...I hope and pray she gets the help she so much very much needs...

Old 12-16-2007, 03:52 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
I would get into counseling ASAP..she lost her parents, that is a very serious matter for a seven year old...I hope and pray she gets the help she so much very much needs...

I don't doubt the poster also needs it.. she's probably still in shock. She's the oldest and her "role" has probably changed some.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:12 PM

429 posts, read 684,787 times
It Would Be A Big Help If You Found Someone To Talk To That Has Gone Through The Same Thing .

Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Check out your local hospice. Some have camps for kids who have lost their parents and ongoing groups for kids.

I can't imagine what you all are going through. If you are a person of faith, get connected to a church/temple that works for you....my church has become a second family to ours.

Sending thoughts of strength your way.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:23 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Okie_Girl View Post
i bless you all for all the responses! we can't offord all of us to do consuling but my grandma is putting me braison anthony and deborah in conusling not Madeline since shes only 9 months, she said you guys are more important. im very thankful for all your responses.
Check with your county, most have programs that you would pay little to nothing to get counseling. I think you and your siblings need to talk to someone. You all have been through something so tragic let alone life changing as far as moving in with your grandparents and I assume new schools and surroundings. Don't forget that your grandparents have been through changes also and could probally benefit from talking to someone as well.

I am so sorry that you have to deal with all this at such a young age. It really shows your maturity looking after the mental well being of your sister but you must remember not to shut yourself off as well.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:05 PM

46 posts, read 93,432 times
Cali,
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your parents, not even adults are prepared for such a loss, so I can't image what you are feeling. I'm not a counselor, but I have a BA in Psychology and have taken a course in counseling. The grieving process is normal and very important. Dealing with grief as a child can be very difficult and confusing, and a grief conselor can help guide them through the process. This is one organization that works with children experiencing grief and loss. They are a non-profit organization. They appear to offer group sessions as part of their program. This seems like a great way to get support from other kids who have gone through the same experience. I'm glad to hear you are in counseling. One way to help your sister would be to go through counseling yourself and to talk about how you are feeling. Then, she will learn that its ok for her to talk about. All the best-Sara

CALM WATERS CENTER FOR CHILDREN AND FAMILIES

405-841-4800 Lisa Kibblewhite

Northwest Office Center

4334 NW Expressway, Suite 101

Oklahoma City, OK 73116

P: 405.841.4800

www.calmwaters.org

Description: Calm Waters Center for Children and Families, a local non-profit agency that helps children grieving through death or divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting