Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:57 PM

188 posts, read 250,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Yes youre overreacting.

Not every parent is a hover parent. I am not. Id say watch your own kids next time and dont worry about others.

Ummm I don't know, I may be a hovercraft(tm) but babies in that age range tend to pick up a lot of stuff and "test" it out. I don't know how safe or clean the ground is in a public park/playground? Let's hope this kid doesn't get neglected when he gets older all because you know, the parents "have the right to their own happiness too" . Those type of parents are some of the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I'm with you. I always feel very uneasy when I feel that a mom has "checked out" and even if I can't describe it to others so that they fully understand what I saw and why it bothered me, I know it when I see it.

I don't really agree with it being nobody's business either. What ever happened to "It takes a village to raise a child," you guys? This is a baby we're talking about, not a teenager, and bad things can happen quickly to a little one, especially if the baby is in an area that is designated for older kids.
Agreed. Plus, she said *50 feet* away. She was paying attention, but that's too far for a baby under one year to be sitting without someone nearby, especially without a wall or anything around him/her limiting what or who can come up from behind or from the sides of the mom's line of sight- the baby is just out in the open. Too many angles from where something can go wrong. Maybe I'm paranoid too but that to me spells trouble.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Quote:
What ever happened to "It takes a village to raise a child," you guys? This is a baby we're talking about, not a teenager, and bad things can happen quickly to a little one, especially if the baby is in an area that is designated for older kids.
It doesn't take a village to raise a child, there are plenty of single parents who do a fine job.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretomove2014 View Post
Ummm I don't know, I may be a hovercraft(tm) but babies in that age range tend to pick up a lot of stuff and "test" it out. I don't know how safe or clean the ground is in a public park/playground? Let's hope this kid doesn't get neglected when he gets older all because you know, the parents "have the right to their own happiness too" . Those type of parents are some of the worst.
God forbid babies put dirty items in their mouths.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I don't think you're overreacting. I hate parents who don't watch their kids on the playground. Those are the kids who are usually throwing sand in other kids' faces, bullying all the other kids, and just all around acting like heathens, because there is no one watching them.

I will never forget being at a party once, some woman's child came up and hit my kid in the head with a tennis racket. My daughter starts screaming, the whole party stopped to look at my daughter. The whole time I'm thinking WHERE IS THIS CHILD'S MOTHER??? The little girl was probably 4 or so, my own daughter was 3. After I calmed my daughter down I realized this child's mom was sitting like 10 feet away! Never made any effort to admonish her child, or make her apologize.
I've been shocked at a lot of this neglect as well. This is how you know some parents are just NOT cut out to be parents. Knowing what I know now, I'm absolutely certain that some of these kids who bullied me when I was younger are now sociopaths and in jail. As a society, we really need to start having requiring licenses to breed.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Call CPS! The child might have a future as a sand thrower. Be sure not to let them out of your sight until they turn 18.
lol I can tell you have no kids... Things like throwing sand in another's face can actually scratch the cornea. It is also morally wrong and the beginning of not NOT becoming the kind of person we want in society...if a small child/baby regularly engages in bullying behavior at this age and is not reprimanded or urged subtly to be more respectful to others, this can indeed have lasting, negative consequences on personality.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
...What ever happened to "It takes a village to raise a child,"...
Hopefully, that idiotic notion has gone the way of the dinosaurs. I don't want a "village" deciding how I should raise my child, thank you very much.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 06-16-2014 at 07:15 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
God forbid babies put dirty items in their mouths.
You're right...Let's all start a new parenting trend: let's break out of the Hovercraft(tm) mold and allow our babies to put random objects from the ground in public parks in their mouths while unsupervised. Yes, this is pure genius. Thanks, city-data!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretomove2014 View Post
Agreed. Plus, she said *50 feet* away. She was paying attention, but that's too far for a baby under one year to be sitting without someone nearby, especially without a wall or anything around him/her limiting what or who can come up from behind or from the sides of the mom's line of sight- the baby is just out in the open. Too many angles from where something can go wrong. Maybe I'm paranoid too but that to me spells trouble.
Maybe I'm paranoid too, but if one parent notices the baby is "alone," then there are other, not so nice people, who might also notice. Sure, it's not that likely - but I guess not everyone agrees on what is acceptable risk and what isn't.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Maybe I'm paranoid too, but if one parent notices the baby is "alone," then there are other, not so nice people, who might also notice. Sure, it's not that likely - but I guess not everyone agrees on what is acceptable risk and what isn't.
I don't see where the baby was actually alone...the mother was there, when the child moved out where she thought it should be....she moved the kiddo back. She just didn't hover over the child and let the baby explore independently a bit.

More parents should let their kids play by themselves more often. Some people are acting like this mother dropped the kid off and at the park and drove away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting