Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

What do parents have against bread crusts? In my world, parents wanted kids to eat crusts because it was wasteful not to eat them.

My father told me there was a county official, with the title of taxidermist, who gathered all of the dead animals off of the side of the roads and gave them proper burial. In his defense, I was exclaiming about the dead animals on the side of the road not having anyone love them enough to give them a proper burial. He told me a county official does that. Like any inquisitive kid, I asked what was the job called. What else could he say?

YEARS later, I was driving with friends in a rural part of the state. There was an abundance of dead animals, and I said, "Look at all of these dead animals! That taxidermist isn't doing his job!" My friends were perplexed and said, "Huh?" When I explained it to them, they all burst out laughing! I wasn't embarrassed. I was loving my dad even more. He was super funny, and I appreciated his trying to make me feel better about dead animals when I was younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Mine told me the Easter Bunny stole my baby bottle. I guess I was getting a little too old to be wanting one and they weaned me off of it by telling me that story. Years later I was mowing the lawn and found this baby bottle under a pine tree !
You must have been getting too old if you remembered! I took my kids off the bottle on their first birthdays. Funny about finding a bottle under a pine tree!

My babysitter told my son his binky and blanket were run over by a truck. When I went to pick him up, she told me and I had no choice but to back her up on that lie.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:53 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
If I ate my bread crusts, my hair would become curly. Really, I didn't want curly hair, so that didn't work!
LOL....I had wavy hair that I wanted to be curly (around age 4)....and they told me this! So yeah, for about a year I ate the crusts....and by the time I figured out the lie, I was used to them!.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:56 PM

I admit, I lied to my daughter about diapers. She was so ready to be potty trained...but wasn't too interested. I told her that they didn't make diapers in her size any more...and the last pack was it.

It worked...she's laughed about the lie years later. (And yes, I've suggested this to other parents and a few have tried it....and it's worked for them...lol!)

Old 06-18-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You must have been getting too old if you remembered! I took my kids off the bottle on their first birthdays. Funny about finding a bottle under a pine tree!

My babysitter told my son his binky and blanket were run over by a truck. When I went to pick him up, she told me and I had no choice but to back her up on that lie.
Why his blanket? I understand getting rid of the pacifier...but nothing wrong with a blanket. (Or so says the mother with a college freshman that still has her 'blankie' and sleeps with it nightly....though her father and I have taken to call it 'rancid blankie' at this point. It's looking rough!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Why his blanket? I understand getting rid of the pacifier...but nothing wrong with a blanket. (Or so says the mother with a college freshman that still has her 'blankie' and sleeps with it nightly....though her father and I have taken to call it 'rancid blankie' at this point. It's looking rough!
He was like Linus! It was that bad. He took it EVERYWHERE.

I replaced it with a different blanket that he slept with for a few years, but he didn't carry it around everywhere like the Linus blanket.

I still have the original binky and blanket in a shoebox in the attic.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:15 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
No, you can't have it. We're broke.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:35 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
I used to tell my daughter that there was a weekend camp for bad kids and that all I had to do was pick up the phone and call them and they would keep her the whole weekend: no phones, no toys or TV, only bread and water, no books, only other bad kids to play with and they would only want to fight you. They brought you back home Sunday night in time for school on Monday morning. For some reason, she told a little boy at school what I said, and he told her: "yes, its true, my brother went there and came home with a black eye." All I had to do when she was doing something wrong and refusing to obey, was to reach for the phone and say, "You know what? I'm not going to put up with this, I'm calling the weekend camp van to come and pick you up little missy." This worked for 3 years! Now, she said when she has children she would consider telling them about "weekend camp."

When she was 13 and MySpace was the big thing for all of the kids, she tried to get away with inappropriate posts and even added a couple of pictures. I called my local police department and spoke to a female officer and explained what I wanted her to do and why. She called my daughter later that day and said, "You may not know this but the police department randomly monitors posts on MySpace if your mom and dad ask us to. I notice you posted a couple of pictures and I know your mom asked you not to. If you don't remove them, we'll have no choice but to take your PC, okay?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:52 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
if you keep making that face your face will stick in that position

if you are a good girl everything will be alright
if you wait till you are a virgin to get married you will attract a quality man
what goes around comes around
if you clean your plate you will be healthy

Old 06-18-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He was like Linus! It was that bad. He took it EVERYWHERE.

I replaced it with a different blanket that he slept with for a few years, but he didn't carry it around everywhere like the Linus blanket.

I still have the original binky and blanket in a shoebox in the attic.
We set the rule when very young that the blanket couldn't leave the car if we were going to public places (because we'd lose it) but other than that....Linus it is.

She's in the sitting room right now, playing video games....snuggling with the rancid thing....lol. She often doesn't watch TV without it....and yes, we are quite sure that that it will going going on her honey moon if she ever gets married (thankfully her current boyfriend finds it funny). She's taken it on her exchange trip to France (it has also been to Canada, Mexico, England and Switzerland), it went to summer camp and it certainly went to college with her.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting