Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
:facepalm:

What risks? The only risk is to OP's wallet if the police get involved. These girls are better off smoking a joint once in a while than they are drinking, heath and safety wise.
Facepalm? Grow up. The OP didn't indicate it was "once in a while". Per the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
My daughter's counselor has been aware of my 16 year old daughter's occasional smoking for some time, but a couple days ago called me in to tell me it had reached a risky and dangerous level. I know she's smoking with the neighbor girl. She's told me.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My comment was in response to someone accusing the neighbor of giving them money for pot and said where else would 16 years olds get money for weed.
Too true!

Old 06-21-2014, 02:28 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
Pass the Prozac, I agree with Hopes on something!
You (O.P.) worry about your daughter. I would call the neighbor and in a friendly, but all-business manner, tell them that her kids are off-limits due to this undesirable situation, and ask that they(parents) respect that and act accordingly if they see the kids are together. But, you need to worry about your child first and foremost.
Im a child of the 70's and grew up in a place where pot and alcohol were OK by everybody. 16 year olds drank with parental ok and pot was "bad" *wink* *wink*. I saw what the results of that philosophy was, nd it wasn't pretty. I feel bad for any child whose parents dont take this stuff seriously. Im as open-minded and liberal as one can be, but the dangers of dope cannot be overstated.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:42 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
16 year old girls who smoke pot usually end up being strippers and prostitutes.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
At the risk of sounding crass I am going to point out the simplest factor in these girls getting marijuana. They have vaginas . That's not to say anything is done in exchange for the weed, but it's pretty easy for a girl to get her hands on free drugs if she wants to.
Yes -- which is all the more reason to intervene and get the girl to rehab, whatever it takes. That's why many girls turn to prostitution -- anything to feed the habit.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:32 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OP, I think it's very irresponsible parenting to blame others instead of holding children accountable for their own actions.

I'm aware she's recently widowed. That doesn't change that she needs to stop blaming other people for her daughter's behavior. I never recommended she kick her daughter out of the house. Did someone recommend she do that? It would be a tragedy. I agree that it's likely her daughter is acting out because she's grieving the loss of her father. It's a shame her daughter is now refusing to go to counseling.
No where in her posts did she blame the neighbor's daughter for the pot smoking. Rightfully so she is angry that the neighbor is permitting her daughter to sneak into the home in the middle of the night. The neighbor is an adult and contributing to the delinquency of the minor child and interfering with the OP's efforts to get her D back on track.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
:facepalm:

What risks? The only risk is to OP's wallet if the police get involved. These girls are better off smoking a joint once in a while than they are drinking, heath and safety wise.
I don't know about that! I'm no teetotaler, and I'm not totally opposed to marijuana, but just like anything, it can get away from your control.

For marijuana-addicted teens, one Colorado school is trying a groundbreaking approach | CPR
Addicted teen struggles to break marijuana habit | CPR

The OP might find this helpful, too.
"Many teens use the argument that because marijuana is legal in Colorado, it must be harmless." - See more at: http://www.cpr.org/news/story/7-ways-talk-your-teens-about-marijuana#.dpuf"

Old 06-21-2014, 05:12 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
If you knew your daughter and neighbor's daughter were sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night to smoke weed, would you tell your neighbor? We have a cordial relationship - certainly not friends.

My daughter's counselor has been aware of my 16 year old daughter's occasional smoking for some time, but a couple days ago called me in to tell me it had reached a risky and dangerous level. I know she's smoking with the neighbor girl. She's told me.

Should I tell the mom? Or mind my own business?

I also know my daughter sneaks into their house in the middle of the night. I have tightened our security system to stop that.

Advice?
I'd tell the mom in a self-deprecating way... "I know my daughter has been <blahblahblah> and she's seeing a counselor about it... but I wanted to let you know, as Girl's mother, that they've been doing it together. I don't know what or if you want to do anything about it... but I just thought I'd let you know, in case you didn't."

That said, I'd not think smoking weed occasionally was a huge deal unless she wasn't fulfilling her obligations to her schoolwork/job/your family's household chores. The sneaking in and out of each other's houses, NO.

But I wouldn't die on this hill; it's not worth it.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:18 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Call the cops on the neighbor NOW! - Contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Report the pot smoking to the police.

Go to a counselor and seek professional advice.

Pot smoking WILL ruin a person's adult life if they become dependent on it as a teenager. It becomes the MOST important thing in their adult lives. Needless to say they will not be able to get most jobs due to drug testing. Driving will be a problem (DUI), etc.

I would clamp down HARD on this situation. And that is because I would be seeing my daughter about to throw her entire life away.
Here in NY, it's a fine. And a small one, at that. My mother called the cops on my 20 year-old brother for having weed AND a scale (selling it, no doubt) and the state troopers found nothing (of course he tossed it ASAP), the rooms they searched were torn apart, and my siblings were terrified about it. And EVEN IF they found the weed, it would be a $40 fine... which my parents would need to pay because it's on THEIR property. And he can't be kicked out until he's 21, unless he commits a real crime. Possession of a small amount of weed isn't a crime, it's a violation.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
16 year old girls who smoke pot usually end up being strippers and prostitutes.

This guy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting