Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

There was never anything my parents locked up that I could not get to (either by picking the lock, finding the key, etc).

Nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 08:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
There are fingerprint gun safes that only open with the proper fingerprint.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:51 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
And then there are the idiots who own guns here:

Who does this - I mean really. How does one protect kids from stupid people like this one?

Man accidentally shoots self in leg while driving, airlifted to hospital for surgery | abc13.com

Quote:
An Ames man returning home from a trip to Galveston ended up in the hospital after accidentally shooting himself in the leg.

The Liberty County Sheriff's Department says the 49-year-old man was returning home from a fishing trip with his wife and two young children. During the drive home, he attempted to unload his 9mm semi-automatic pistol while behind the wheel. The pistol then accidently discharged, striking the driver in the upper left leg.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There are fingerprint gun safes that only open with the proper fingerprint.
Those safes are a joke, come with a key bc of failure, and can be pried open easily.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:10 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
This. I would never confirm or deny the presence of firearms in my home. The most I would say is that IF we have them, they are secured.
I would interpret that as a yes, and probably wouldn't feel comfortable sending my kid to your house, since you weren't even able to talk openly about it. If it has to be a secret, I have to wonder why.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
and then there is this kind of mental giant

Georgia man accidentally shoots his own penis while trying to holster gun

http://jezebel.com/5978828/man-shoot...nce-icon-to-me

Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, it is research not a personal opinion.

Did you read the fact that she did several studies, that they did observations of kids who had been taught gun safety and the kids still played with the guns?
Unfortunately, we don't know what or how they were supposedly 'taught'.

One of the best ways to impress upon a young mind just exactly how powerful a weapon can be is to fill a gallon milk jug with water (add red food coloring if desired) and then shoot it with a hollowpoint bullet. The results are guaranteed to be impressive. Then ask them to call the bullet back, and put the water back in the jug.

Of course, it can't be done and all but the dumbest of kids will look at you like you're crazy and tell you so. At that point, you explain that they are completely correct, and that once they have pulled the trigger, whether accidentally or on purpose, there is no way to call the bullet back and undo the damage.

They should be taught to NEVER point a gun at something unless they INTEND to kill it (even if they think, or even know, that it isn't loaded, and that any/every gun they might see *might* be loaded. (In Basic Training in the Army, another recruit who thought he was being 'funny' pointed his M-16 at me. I didn't think that it was particularly amusing. I took it away and butt-stroked him upside the head with it. He whined "What did you do that for? It wasn't loaded..." My response- "How could I know that? You could have swiped some rounds from the range." Naturally, there was an investigation of my 'assault' of another soldier. Of course, the charges were dropped and the idiot was told to consider himself lucky that I hadn't hurt him worse than I had (fractured jaw). It's too bad he wasn't taught better when he was younger.)

Around here, there are dangerous animals including bear, coyotes, and fishers (the fact that we have no 'police department' and Sheriff/State Police response can't be expected in less than 30-90 minutes is secondary). Many keep guns freely to hand, and often loaded. Most children are taught from a very young age about the proper handling and use of weapons. I learned when I was five years old.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
And then there are the idiots who own guns here:

Who does this - I mean really. How does one protect kids from stupid people like this one?

Man accidentally shoots self in leg while driving, airlifted to hospital for surgery | abc13.com
Sure, and we even have "trained professionals", like Bangor's new police chief who just a year ago (less than 3 months after being hired) managed to shoot himself. How do we protect the public from [stupid] people like this? Maybe we should take the guns away from the cops. I've seen a lot of reports lately, about cops using weapons improperly and injuring or killing members of the public when they shouldn't have.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:26 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
I learned the hard way

that some parents will drive too many children in a vehicle - some riding without seat belts. Didn't know I needed to ask that.

that some parents will leave a child (new to the area, too) alone at a restaurant before that child's parents arrive to pick them up (a group of tweens were taken to a restaurant after church). Didn't know I needed to ask that. I would have waited with all the children until everyone was picked up.

that some parents will arrange a group activity and then decide not to bring the kids home, telling them to walk home on a very busy highway. (My kid, high schooler not yet driving, called and asked if I'd come get the whole group. The mom who was in charge of the activity decided she needed a soak in the tub instead of picking up the kids after a meal at a taco shop.)

asking if there are guns in the house is just the tip of the iceberg.
Yes, I had a parent drive with my 5 year old unbuckled, no car seat or even regular belt.I had even previously buckled in her car seat, but she thought it was irrelevant. The only reason I found out was that she started to refuse to be buckled in, and I asked her why she thought that.

I also had another parent who left the kids aged 5,5,and 2 home alone for an hour while she ran errands. I figured that out by coming to pick up my child early.

These were educated upper middle class parents, and one was a teacher. I have learned to have conversations with a parent that are a bit awkward but necessary.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:34 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I would interpret that as a yes, and probably wouldn't feel comfortable sending my kid to your house, since you weren't even able to talk openly about it. If it has to be a secret, I have to wonder why.
Not a secret, private. There's a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting