Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Why we need to be very diligent when hiring others for anything but especially for child care. I bet you this crazy lady has pulled this before. And I'm even older than this woman but it was very risky to hire a 64 year old woman they did not know to care for small children. Nightmare indeed.

Nightmare nanny won't leave home, family says - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:48 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I am continually amazed at how readily some people will allow people they found on Craigslist to move into their homes and/or be in charge of their children.

Like this lady:

Two Week guest on trial refuses to leave, refuses to pay rent

Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 AM

OMG what a nightmare this poor woman let into her life. I hope she gets some recourse. I've been seeing stories about people going on vacation or having a vacation home and discover somebody has moved in and refuses to leave. The gall of these low lifes doing something like this to innocent folks. I thought the law was for the protection of the innocent and not to coddle criminals and law breakers.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:10 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Tenancy laws apply no matter what, especially tenant-friendly CA. Its an unfortunate situation but this family lacked due diligence too.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:30 AM

506 posts, read 326,501 times
Those ugly squatters!!

But Wmsn4Life did make a good point about Craiglist offers.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:59 AM

I've heard so many bad stories about CL but I have to admit we found the most wonderful woman to help in our gardening chores through CL. She has been with us for 2.5 years, loves working in the heat, is considerate for letting us know if times and days need to change and has full access to our house even when we are gone. She has been a life saver. Plus she knows the difference between a weed and a perennial.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:18 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
Regardless of whether the family showed bad judgment using CL, the reality is that this is a deplorable situation. I can't fathom having a stranger living under my roof, around my KIDS, eating my food, etc.

As to getting her out of the house, wonder what would happen if the family locked up the food for a period of time. If you can't eat, at some point she would need to leave the house (unless she orders food through a grocery store). Or simply turn off the electricity/water? First thing the family should do is rekey the house with new locks and look for every opportunity to get her out of there.

Having this wacko living under my roof wouldn't be an option.

As to CL: Our current landlord actually had the gall to list our rental on CL and expect us to show the house to any prospective tenant. Fortunately, he finally went with a realtor who is just as bad. Gives us one hour notice and we've had several realtors just barge in without knocking. I was on the toilet during one showing. So glad that we are out of here soon and into our new place.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:22 AM

I think I would make arrangements to bathe and eat in other places and turn off all the utilities so as to make it so uncomfortable for the squatters they would have to look for other suckers to leach off. But still why should anybody have to go to such lengths to reclaim their own property? Seems like somebody could help.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think I would make arrangements to bathe and eat in other places and turn off all the utilities so as to make it so uncomfortable for the squatters they would have to look for other suckers to leach off. But still why should anybody have to go to such lengths to reclaim their own property? Seems like somebody could help.
I agree. I wonder if they could call 911 if she was acting up in the house and tell the police that she threatened one of them or the children. The woman sounds like a wacko anyway. If they hauled her off, problem solved. Find a storage unit for her belongings and viola!

Old 06-27-2014, 11:17 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I believe that if you review the FB page for the mother, find out that her sister works for Clear Channel Communications, and see that her linkedin account shows her to be into multi-level marketing, you may come to the same conclusion that I did. The entire story is a Scam, IMHO. At the very least, mommy is totally into the media attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting