Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:10 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,223,092 times

Advertisements

Kids are fascinating.
My son (2) can climb up into his crib.
He can climb just about anything. He can climb up the back of a flat high-backed couch.
He jumps down the stairs (and rolls).
But not once has he ever gotten out of his crib or even tried.
He merely sits up, yells, "Mommy!" and waits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 PM

758 posts, read 1,869,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Kids are fascinating.
He can climb just about anything. He can climb up the back of a flat high-backed couch.

They sure are! Out of 4 children I had only one crib escaper. He started at 11mos, so that was a real bummer. The one child that was always trying to escape the house, climb every object, and basically thought every baby proof thing was a puzzle to be figured out never tried to get out of the crib. He slept in it until nearly 3yo.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:54 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,218,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Kids are fascinating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
They sure are! Out of 4 children I had only one crib escaper. He started at 11mos, so that was a real bummer. The one child that was always trying to escape the house, climb every object, and basically thought every baby proof thing was a puzzle to be figured out never tried to get out of the crib. He slept in it until nearly 3yo.
Same here, my escape artists would climb into his crib but he never once tried to climb out. DH had a theory that he had in fact attempted to climb out, scared himself enough that he never tried it again

Old 07-02-2014, 06:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,465,079 times
All these tricks are a waste of time, IMO. Put him in bed and cuddle up next to him and read him a story. Then say good night, kiss him, tuck him in and if he gets up and follows you, let him come cuddle until he falls asleep in your bed, then move him. Eventually, he'll be more comfortable in his bed (when he's distanced himself from all the stress and fighting associated with it) and just fall asleep there. It seems to me that the more stress I put everyone under trying to make little kids do what I want, the harder it is for all involved. Kids do eventually sleep fine on their own. Just enjoy him being so cute and little. He'll be a big kid before you know it.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,465,079 times
Another little thing I think is worth pointing out. Separation anxiety often starts in kids just when they are old enough to get themselves into trouble. The idea that little kids should be kept close to mom and dad isn't so far fetched when reading about kids falling out of windows, into swimming pools, and getting out of the house while parents sleep. When he is ready to separate, he will. No "training' necessary. That's what instinct and hormones are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting