Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, that settles it. Dude's got cred. He's on TV and he takes his shirt off for money in the Old Spice ads. We'll put him in the "expert" category because his opinion is obviously worth more than any of those feminists who can't be rational because they're too into their emotions.

Has Whoopie taken her shirt off? (I'll admit I don't keep up on these things.) Maybe if she did that people would pay attention to her opinions on fatherhood.
I'm sorry I stated a simple fact. kill me why don't you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:26 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It qualifies him to talk about HIS kids, but it doesn't make him an expert on anything except his own personal experience.
I mean that would apply to anyone who has kids. What would make someone more qualified in your opinion? I don't understand why this matters.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0waystogo View Post
I'm sorry I stated a simple fact. kill me why don't you...
Ummmmm..... You supplied info I was wondering about. (I had zero idea who Terry Crews is much less why anyone should care about his opinion.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-03-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yep...it was a discussion. I do think that fathers are important, and different than mothers, and yes, two parents is an ideal situation. But in reality, very few situations are ideal. And just because one HAS two parents (even a mother and father, married, living in the same home) doesn't guarantee a great situation. So what happens is, just as Zimbochick said, parents generally do the best they can in the circumstances they are in.
Again that goes without saying. Anything can go wrong in situations like that, but that's not really the point. You aren't trying to look for a perfect or an ideal situation as a parent, you are just trying to do your best and the point that was made is that having two parents gives the best opportunity to do so. It doesn't mean that it will be better.

Quote:
Still waiting to hear what the OP thinks Terry Crews is "qualified" for.....
Why are you hung up on that? He has kids, he's a father and a grandfather. I think how he relates to his kids is important given that he is a father. You have someone like Whoopi Goldberg who had children without the father in their life and a childhood where she did not have a father, not to mention that she said that she never loved the men that she married (3 of them). Is that your idea of being qualified to talk about fatherhood? I'm not sure what you are looking for, if anything at all. Who in your opinion is qualified to talk about this topic?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 PM

A lot of personal attacks are being made about Terry Crews the person instead of just arguing if his opinion is agreeable or not. That usually is a sign of people who don't agree with him but have no way of disputing his point. Please if you are not going to discuss what he said, then don't even bother posting. Thank you.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
A lot of personal attacks are being made about Terry Crews the person instead of just arguing if his opinion is agreeable or not. That usually is a sign of people who don't agree with him but have no way of disputing his point. Please if you are not going to discuss what he said, then don't even bother posting. Thank you.
Personal attacks? Most of us have no idea who he is or why his opinion is any more important than any other parent.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Personal attacks? Most of us have no idea who he is or why his opinion is any more important than any other parent.
WHO CARES???????????????? I am not asking you to analyze if his opinion is more important or not. I am just asking you if you agree or not. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
It isn't the single parent household that is the problem, it is the usually under-performance economically of the single parent household. By the numbers there are more single parent households where the single mother is white but economically advantaged. America's divorce rate is astronomical. You cannot make a statement like most households are not single parent households. A significant percent are. And they are not all headed up by single black women.

It is a persistent meme on City-Data that all the ills affecting the black community would be solved in a stroke if black men would but marry their baby mamma's. Recently, there have been a number of economically advantaged black men using themselves as examples of why and how it is important for children to have two parents. It is not. The nuclear family is a Western innovation. It succeeds where there is economic stability. In parts of the world that do not have Western affluence a "village" model is more prevalent. Children need nurture and it can be anything, from a number of women sharing in the nurture of children together to a single father performing the task himself. In America, black men are behind ex-convicts as to employment opportunity. And it doesn't get much worse for ones employment chances if you have a criminal history.

Fix that. I don't care how, but fix that first before getting righteous about anything pertaining to two parent households and how important they are. Chances are you won't have much opportunity to talk smack about brothers and matrimony if they are getting adequately compensated in the world of work.

Another poster was very right. This should go to P&OC but for different reasons.

H

Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
I mean that would apply to anyone who has kids. What would make someone more qualified in your opinion? I don't understand why this matters.
Correct parents can talk about their experiences but the only people who are "experts" are those who have professional training in the field. Which is not terry crews. Who btw, is the only making these sweeping generalizations, meanwhile look at the ladies rebuttals, they talk about their personal experiences with their kids. It is a commonality that occurs frequently when men and women speak. Men give their opinions as fact, women preface their opinions by stating them as such or by talking about their personal experiences.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
No one is attacking him personally, but rather the premise you gave that he is an expert. He is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting