Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that some people confuse spanking with beating. Those are two very different things. But whenever someone is against spanking, they inevitably equate it with beating.

Beating a child is not only unconscionable but useless. But it's not the same thing as spanking.

The other confusion that inevitably occurs in these discussions is that some people seem to think that all children are identical, like little robots that come out of the factory just alike and you can maintain them all identically. Again, a fallacy - every child is different, and disciplines that work well with one child will not work well with every child. One example is from our own family. Our son, born an easy-going sort, at two, would throw the occasional tantrum at not getting his way over something. Our response was not to spank him, but to say, "It's clear that you need to get this out of your system. However, we have things that we need to do, as well. So you just go in your room and close the door, and when you're finished, come on out." He'd be bored and out in two minutes. His sister came along some years later, and we tried the same thing. She would then lie down with her mouth at the crack under the door and continue to scream for long periods of time - in one case, I timed her at 45 minutes. That method simply didn't work with her and we had to come up with something different. (Even as adults, he's easy-going, she's a force of nature who will gets things done no matter what.)

Not to mention that parents are just as different one from another.

These discussions are always looking for the easy, one-size-fits-all answer (there isn't one) and/or promoting an agenda which depends more on emotion than on fact.

lkb0714, thanks for pointing out that the link to the actual study is in that article. Somehow I missed it; I will go back and read it.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:52 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I've seen kids, who are never spanked, become unruly out-of-control BRATS! They don't follow rules... When they grow up, they speed/tailgate in their car or text while driving (break rules which are there for their own protection), then wind up at the mortuary.

Some kids need a good spanking. It is for their own good they learn to follow rules.
How does one look at a kid and determine if they are spanked or not? And, then you follow them through their lives? You drive with them? How many of these people do you actually know?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:02 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Any form of hitting a child is abuse...why some dont see this is beyond me.... all this does is show how much the parent is out of control and harming a child..

Old 07-06-2014, 06:18 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I find it interesting that some people confuse spanking with beating..
No one is confused except those that think there is a difference. Tell me. .. how exactly do you spank a child without breathing them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting