Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I found this very interesting. I personally think most parents are too quick to give kids aspirin or cough syrup in the first place. I kept liquid baby aspirin on hand but rarely gave it cause my pediatrician told me not to unless the fever got over 102. I found things like honey and tea and vicks on the chest worked well for coughs too.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ttom-well&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
You don't use ml for medicines there? Surely they do in hospitals. Here you get a syringe with baby medicines that have markers showing the ml on one side and the weight of the baby/child on the other side so you can always give the right amount according to their weight.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 AM

Metric is used in science and medicine universally. But America tried for a brief period to convert to metric and it just didn't take. I don't know metric. I should. Tablespoon and teaspoon are easy to get mixed up as the article said so we all should be using metric but it's not gonna happen.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:13 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
I know a homeopathic remedy for that but it doesn't always work.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Metric is used in science and medicine universally. But America tried for a brief period to convert to metric and it just didn't take. I don't know metric. I should. Tablespoon and teaspoon are easy to get mixed up as the article said so we all should be using metric but it's not gonna happen.
Why won't it happen? The UK switched (in the 70s I think) and managed ok. I can understand switching completely would be too difficult but just switching for medicine should be really easy, just make pharmacies give out a dosage syringe or cup and proper information.

But learning ml isn't hard, a teaspoon is 5ml, a tablespoon is 15ml, use cooking measures instead of household spoons and they should be correct.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM

I think the American public is too resistant to make the change. They tried it in public schools for awhile. Haven't heard much about it lately. But starting out with medicine would be a good place but I just don't anticipate a wholesale switch.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:53 PM

Yeah I think they are too resistant to make the complete change, its a lot to change really, but people might be more open to changing for medicine, especially parents knowing it would be safer for their children. I think they learn metric as well as American Imperial in schools now don't they? So won't be difficult for the next generation at least.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
What's weird is that the metric system is much easier than the English system of measures. You only have multiples of 10.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
I found this very interesting. I personally think most parents are too quick to give kids aspirin or cough syrup in the first place. I kept liquid baby aspirin on hand but rarely gave it cause my pediatrician told me not to unless the fever got over 102. I found things like honey and tea and vicks on the chest worked well for coughs too.

I wish more people would use this. I prefer natural medicines, but I have badgered my daughter into learning "medical math", so that she's able to more accurately administer the medicine, based on my granson's weight, rather than age. I've taught her to go onto drug sites, find the correct dosage per lb/age and frankly, it's been really good for her AND him. It is simple!

Old 07-16-2014, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:

NEVER give aspirin to a child under 18. It can cause Reye Syndrome.
Reye Syndrome

If you want to use a fever-reducer, use Tylenol, or if the child is >6 months, Ibuprofen. Vick's is kind of sketchy too.
The Vicks VapoRub Debate - Cold and Flu Center - EverydayHealth.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting