Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 10:04 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,664,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? You are dead?

figuratively vs. literally : Choose Your Words : Vocabulary.com

"Figuratively means metaphorically, and literally describes something that actually happened. If you say that a guitar solo literally blew your head off, your head should not be attached to your body."

Sorry to use you as an example, but it is horrifying how often "literally" is misused lately. It's much worse than a kid taking too long a shower, IMO.

My own mother does this. The other day she told me she literally died. Really? Can we sell the house now and divvy up your belongings?

OK, back to our regularly scheduled arguments.
As long as something is understandable, when one is in a casual setting, such as a message board, it really comes across as pompous to tear someone apart over word choice. Now, if this was a formal essay or presentation to an employer, then you might have a call for this....but really, in this context, this is quite horrifying, to you use your own words.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:04 AM

88,057 posts, read 83,895,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Nothing screams "I have nothing important to say" more than picking on someone's spelling, grammar or choice of words.
Probably not, but it releases some of the frustration on my end. I usually don't point it out, because those of us who actually care about the written word have a place on this site to go and release those frustrations. This "literally" thing is just happening far too often and spreading like a virus, and someone has to speak up before we turn into a nation of morons.

You, and the poster to whom I was pointing out the error, are free to ignore me.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
As long as something is understandable, when one is in a casual setting, such as a message board, it really comes across as pompous to tear someone apart over word choice. Now, if this was a formal essay or presentation to an employer, then you might have a call for this....but really, in this context, this is quite horrifying, to you use your own words.
LOL. I usually resist, as I said above. But for someone to type a post and then claim in that post that they are DEAD...well, that was too much to resist!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:15 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,045,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. I usually resist, as I said above. But for someone to type a post and then claim in that post that they are DEAD...well, that was too much to resist!
Well thanks for adding to the topic at hand and not making yourself look classless.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Well thanks for adding to the topic at hand and not making yourself look classless.
My pleasure. Anytime.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:32 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,195,139 times
I think if you don't give a damn about how precious potable water is, let her shower all damn day.

The main reason to shower and clean yourself completely in less than ten minutes, an easily doable task, is because any more is a pointless waste of water. Water may not be rare where you live, but in large parts of the world 12 year old girls don't go to school. They walk a couple hours to fill a container with three gallons of water, then walk a ouple of hours back home where the water is used to cook food for her family.

Let's not even mention the amount of coal burning or gas drilling it takes to heat that water that touches your body for about a second before it goes down the drain.

If you like the way water feels on your body, take a bath.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:11 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,847,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
She has short hair and doesn't shave her legs yet. We have a wonderful rain shower head which, I admit, is conducive to longer showers than the typical shower head. But I've watched her a few times and she stands under it having dreams of being a fairy dancing under a waterfall and the time gets away from her. We bought a special timer for her and I think 7 minutes is plenty long. Suggestions?

When I was her age my father would bang on the water pipes outside with a wrench to let me know I was taking too long. he would yell "You either have the cleanest hair in town or the dirtiest hair in town".

Do like commercial places near national parks. Make the shower coin operated. Make her pay for her showers.
She will definitely brag to her friends about how cool her mom is and might add in the fact you sit and watch her shower.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:32 AM

231 posts, read 573,338 times
My daughter is 9 and has very long thick hair. She also like to sing in the shower lol. She usually takes about 20-25 minutes. I only rush her if her 7 year old brother needs to take a shower and she needs to save some hot water for him. Otherwise it's her time to relax and unwind.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,898,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think if you don't give a damn about how precious potable water is, let her shower all damn day.

The main reason to shower and clean yourself completely in less than ten minutes, an easily doable task, is because any more is a pointless waste of water. Water may not be rare where you live, but in large parts of the world 12 year old girls don't go to school. They walk a couple hours to fill a container with three gallons of water, then walk a ouple of hours back home where the water is used to cook food for her family.

Let's not even mention the amount of coal burning or gas drilling it takes to heat that water that touches your body for about a second before it goes down the drain.

If you like the way water feels on your body, take a bath.
Baths waste much more water than showers. Just sayin'.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:04 PM

579 posts, read 517,413 times
I grew up in a summer house that had a septic system, 4 kids, two adults. One bathroom. A half an hour shower?

No way. Never. The toilet would be over flowing every day, all day if we had done this. This was a house one block from the beach. Water use was carefully monitored. We had to stagger showers to accommodate the system. Even when we replaced the older system we still had to be prudent.

My father had been in the Navy so he knew how to "lather up" and finally rinse off, limited water on ships and subs. Taught us the same. To this day I still use this method. If I want to spend longer I'll take a weekly bath. You are just not that dirty folks.

Oh and the "lather, rinse, repeat" system is to encourage you to buy more shampoo and conditioner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting