U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:10 PM

12,922 posts, read 19,812,959 times

Advertisements

Of course I did. And, they were very good at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 AM

1,210 posts, read 852,620 times
the 70s had a lot of academic writing & papers on "Game Theory". I think you're starting from a weird place if you think you can teach a kid bluffing is somehow a moral failing. It's a GAME, we agree to a limited set of rules in an unreal place, and the random outcome is "fun" for most people.

SO MANY games, even CHESS have elements of strategy, deception, bluffing, and hoping your opponent is not fully aware of all possible moves.
Tennis or volleyball involves plenty of "feints" which is a form of bluffing, where you smash that ball into a corner when you bluffed your opponent on your intent of how you were gonna return the serve. Even a baseball bunt when you noticed all the fools went too far in the outfield. Blackjack - another card game where one can't see the other cards until it's too late.

I'm just not onboard with your premise.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:55 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,672,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
Some boardgames are based around the concept of bluffing (using deception to advance your position). Poker is one well known game that bluffing is part of, and there are many others as well.

Would you play bluffing games with your kids?

Personally, this would make me uncomfortable. Being truthful and honest is very important to me, and I would like my children to be honest. I would not want to role model decepection, nor want to encourage them to be deceptive with others.

Curious for your thoughts.
Wow....good question! No, I didn't play "bluffing" games with my kids, for the same reasons that you listed in your post. BTW...I didn't like playing them when I was a child, either. Living in a family who seemed to get off on deceiving others kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, when it came to deception and lies.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,758,561 times
So chess and blackjack are never played in some households, because bluffing is involved?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 AM

15,203 posts, read 16,061,842 times
Definitely. My daughter loved to play a card game called "BS" when she was younger, which involves a lot of bluffing. It did not turn her into a liar. It was just a lot of fun.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:40 AM

3,372 posts, read 2,502,112 times
Quote:
Would you play bluffing games with your kids?
I can think of no reason why not.

Quote:
Personally, this would make me uncomfortable. Being truthful and honest is very important to me, and I would like my children to be honest. I would not want to role model decepection, nor want to encourage them to be deceptive with others.
Yet they will be decieved by others and bluffing games assist in the development of the skill of spotting it. Not that such a skill is ever 100% by even any close means - but development of the skill all the same is useful.

Plus bluffing and lying is contextual. In the context of a game where you _know_ the other person is bluffing and lying - this is not "real" bluffing and lying.

Are magicians and masters of illusion liars? They are tricking you - making you see "magic" when everything is just trickery and lights and mirrors and sleight of hand and distraction.

They are NOT liars because everyone goes into the context knowing it is trickery and illusion and misdirection. They know they are tricking you - you know they are tricking you - but we enjoy the act all the same.

The liars are the Uri Gellers of the world who take common parlour tricks and trick you - but claim they are NOT tricking you.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,824,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So chess and blackjack are never played in some households, because bluffing is involved?
I really find it hard to believe that there are families that don't allow their children to play chess or any other game for that matter.

Really, when playing Monopoly, does everyone announce to the other players what properties they are trying to collect? No, you keep it quiet and hope no one notices....sprinkling in other purchases to help hide the trail.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:58 AM

11,095 posts, read 6,596,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I really find it hard to believe that there are families that don't allow their children to play chess or any other game for that matter.
Even though I don't understand the reason, I can believe that there are parents that don't let their children play bluffing games.

Growing up, my SO wasn't allowed to play any game that involved dice because his parents thought it might lead to a gambling addiction (no, I don't understand the logic). So a game like Monopoly wasn't allowed since you had to role dice to move. Of course now one of his favorite games to play is Yahtzee, which is nothing but rolling dice.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:32 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Even though I don't understand the reason, I can believe that there are parents that don't let their children play bluffing games.

Growing up, my SO wasn't allowed to play any game that involved dice because his parents thought it might lead to a gambling addiction (no, I don't understand the logic). So a game like Monopoly wasn't allowed since you had to role dice to move. Of course now one of his favorite games to play is Yahtzee, which is nothing but rolling dice.

My grandma wouldn't let us play poker with matchsticks because she viewed it as gambling

Old 07-23-2014, 01:47 PM

179 posts, read 190,620 times
I'm not so sure why simply the exposure to bluffing games would be, in and of itself, dangerous. I suppose one could make and argument that deceit has a role in innocent interaction. Afterall the oldest trick in the book is "lookest thou over there." If we take such a strong view that all deceit is dangerous, then would we practice never having surprise parties. To some extent I'm thinking playing such games may actually model the difference between harmless. well-intentioned deceit and harmful lies. Not a fully developed theory or anything and the OP has made me think, so that's just my initial thoughts on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or