U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:48 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post

Would you play bluffing games with your kids?
Of course! In fact my mother, who could be dealt three queens and look like she was bored with the whole thing, was a card counter. She's the one who taught us to never, ever pull to an inside straight.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-23-2014 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Sure - my grandmother taught all of us how to play poker. That was of course, after we were adept at Hearts and Sorry

Old 07-23-2014, 05:41 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Yes.
Totally.

He is 2.5 and we already play a game where one of us pretends to not know what an object/color/number/letter/math answer is...then the other person guesses wrong on purpose.

Boy: This is a blue truck! ( He is actually holding a yellow excavator.)
Me: Noooooooo...it's a red tree!
Boy: No! It's a yellow excavator!! (Then he laughs triumphantly.)

Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Card games are culturally a family past time for us, so we will teach him that, too.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 AM

8,004 posts, read 9,653,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
the 70s had a lot of academic writing & papers on "Game Theory". I think you're starting from a weird place if you think you can teach a kid bluffing is somehow a moral failing. It's a GAME, we agree to a limited set of rules in an unreal place, and the random outcome is "fun" for most people.

SO MANY games, even CHESS have elements of strategy, deception, bluffing, and hoping your opponent is not fully aware of all possible moves.
Tennis or volleyball involves plenty of "feints" which is a form of bluffing, where you smash that ball into a corner when you bluffed your opponent on your intent of how you were gonna return the serve. Even a baseball bunt when you noticed all the fools went too far in the outfield. Blackjack - another card game where one can't see the other cards until it's too late.

I'm just not onboard with your premise.
What makes you think the OP, or anyone else, needs for you to be "onboard" with their parenting choices? There is a huge difference between playing games and teaching them strategy, as opposed to playing games which expose a person's "gift" for manipulation adn deceit. To you, it might seem like harmless play...to some, it's more like playing with fire.

Sorry......but personally, I come from a family where many of the members were EXPERTS in manipulation and there was nothing "moral" about it! Encouraging that gift in my children was the last thing on earth I was ever going to do.

You don't understand. That's good. The difference is, I DO understand the logic behind those decisions.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:47 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,245,272 times
There's a difference between playing games and outright deceit.

With games, it's part of the game. You do not carry it over into life. Sometimes it's as simple as knowing how someone thinks in order to strategize your next move in a board or card game.

I think people need to lighten up. No one is advocating teaching kids to go out in the world and apply game strategy to life's journey.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
There's a difference between playing games and outright deceit.

With games, it's part of the game. You do not carry it over into life. Sometimes it's as simple as knowing how someone thinks in order to strategize your next move in a board or card game.

I think people need to lighten up. No one is advocating teaching kids to go out in the world and apply game strategy to life's journey.
Perhaps some people need to lighten up....and some need to open their eyes a little further.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:27 PM

5,079 posts, read 7,245,272 times
I just think sometimes a duck is a duck. There's nothing more to it than that.

Just like when kids play cops and robbers, we aren't sending a message that it's ok to be a robber.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:46 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,814,499 times
Quote:

Just like when kids play cops and robbers, we aren't sending a message that it's ok to be a robber.
You bring up a very good point... do those that ban games as being deceitful also ban make believe and all fiction books and movies as well?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:

And you see, sometimes a duck IS just a duck....and then, you have people who may be genetically predisposed to certain behaviors. In such cases, GOOD parents are quite capable of finding plenty of alternative games and activities which do not include these less than desirable activities.

Seriously, this is just another one of those threads where parents get all up in each others' faces with their self-righteous BS. If some parents choose to raise their kids without playing "bluffing" games, whose business is it? It is those parents' choice, their decision, and their right to do so. They certainly don't and shouldn't have to explain their choices to you or anyone else, anymore than you should be expected to have to explain your decision to do so.

Frankly, I could give 2 sh*ts HOW you or anyone else raise their kids, as long as they don't grow up to be monsters who prey on other people and animals. Perhaps all of the other perfect parents out there should have the same consideration. I

f I say I don't want my kid doing something, I don't care what it is, you or anyone else, do not have the right to veto or even question my decision. It's none of your business and it's not your kid. Should things go haywire, because of your decision to veto my decision, it's me and my kid who have to muddle through.

A parent who is paying attention to and knows their child, knows what they need to steer their child toward or away from. Why? ...because that parent shares genes with that child and that child's relatives. That parent lives with and observes their child's tendencies...their personality. They've seen it before.

There are inherited gifts and (mental or physical) defects which may be present in my child, yet completely different than in your child. We're talking physical and mental/emotional gifts and defects. Why in the world would I even begin to assume what types of activities are most appropriate for your child?...and why would you or anyone else ever presume to know which activities are the most appropriate for mine?

It's silly of course. People can throw ideas and opinions all over the place, but in the end, that's all they are....ideas and opinions. Quite often, it's not until it's far too late, that we realize that a harmless activity....wasn't really so harmless after all. That's tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or