Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,747,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
And you see, sometimes a duck IS just a duck....and then, you have people who may be genetically predisposed to certain behaviors. In such cases, GOOD parents are quite capable of finding plenty of alternative games and activities which do not include these less than desirable activities.

Seriously, this is just another one of those threads where parents get all up in each others' faces with their self-righteous BS. If some parents choose to raise their kids without playing "bluffing" games, whose business is it? It is those parents' choice, their decision, and their right to do so. They certainly don't and shouldn't have to explain their choices to you or anyone else, anymore than you should be expected to have to explain your decision to do so.

Frankly, I could give 2 sh*ts HOW you or anyone else raise their kids, as long as they don't grow up to be monsters who prey on other people and animals. Perhaps all of the other perfect parents out there should have the same consideration. I

f I say I don't want my kid doing something, I don't care what it is, you or anyone else, do not have the right to veto or even question my decision. It's none of your business and it's not your kid. Should things go haywire, because of your decision to veto my decision, it's me and my kid who have to muddle through.

A parent who is paying attention to and knows their child, knows what they need to steer their child toward or away from. Why? ...because that parent shares genes with that child and that child's relatives. That parent lives with and observes their child's tendencies...their personality. They've seen it before.

There are inherited gifts and (mental or physical) defects which may be present in my child, yet completely different than in your child. We're talking physical and mental/emotional gifts and defects. Why in the world would I even begin to assume what types of activities are most appropriate for your child?...and why would you or anyone else ever presume to know which activities are the most appropriate for mine?

It's silly of course. People can throw ideas and opinions all over the place, but in the end, that's all they are....ideas and opinions. Quite often, it's not until it's far too late, that we realize that a harmless activity....wasn't really so harmless after all. That's tragic.
I believe the OP asked if people would play bluffing games with their kids.

I think you need to lighten up. I was explaining MY opinion on the subject and not attacking yours.

There's no excuse for this little rant of yours and this topic has nothing to do with perfect or imperfect parents. It has to do with opinions and not attacks.

If you don't want people to disagree with you then maybe not posting in a forum loaded with opinions from every surface of a coin.

My opinion on this topic remains.

I don't think the OP said anything about predisposed traits in a kid. Obviously there are children that may not be able to handle such play and be able to differentiate play from reality.
I didn't realize we were talking about those predisposed to that inability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:24 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Fascinating. You think you know the people on this forum a little bit and then you find that one button.

Beach, I agree with your statement about not worrying what people don't let their kids do as long as they grow up to be moral and productive.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,683,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Fascinating. You think you know the people on this forum a little bit and then you find that one button.

Beach, I agree with your statement about not worrying what people don't let their kids do as long as they grow up to be moral and productive.
But according to these folks...they consider everyone that has ever played a game to be deceitful! It's also a very odd way of raising a child.

The lack of logic is just amazing....there is no way a game of hide and seek, chess or monopoly is going to turn anyone into a liar.

While I am sure most every deceitful person has played a game at some point, or read a work of fiction - that does not mean the games caused or even reinforced that behavior. That is like saying ice cream causes murder, because most murderers have eaten ice cream.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:13 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
I am not sure that is what beachie is saying.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:23 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,703,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not sure that is what beachie is saying.
LOL...exactly right, stan4. That's not what I'm saying at all. Thank you for understanding.

As far as this family went, we preferred physically active activities. Our "board games", when they got a bit older, were Scrabble, Upwards, then Bananagram, Rumicube (sp?), Backgammon, Cribbage, card games like Rummy, Kings Corner, Speed. it's not like we didn't play, but given our families' deceitful natures, we simply didn't enjoy certain games and saw no "need" to include them in our game cabinet, for various reasons.

Not one time, did I see games in others' collections and think anything negative or bad about them, simply because we didn't play them. If I had any opinions at all....about Life or Monopoly, it was this......OMG!!! Games that never END!!!!!!!!!

We were active, busy, crafty, creative people. Sitting down and playing the SAME game, for that length of time, was simply not a comfortable thing for ANY of us to do. Thirty minutes TOPS, and we were all ready for a change of pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting