U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 12:53 AM

50 posts, read 166,786 times

Advertisements

Last week, I went to the University of Hawaii at Manoa to attend a lecture. The lecture was held in the Pacific Ocean Science and Technology (POST) building of the university campus. When the lecture was over, I witnessed kids running around wild in the building. I couldn't help but laugh. I was wondering what the parents were thinking bringing their little children onto a university campus in the first place. IMHO parents who are going to college should take their children to a babysitter instead of bringing them onto a college or university campus. Running around wild and screaming have no place on a college or university campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 04:29 AM

11,399 posts, read 16,006,908 times
I don't mind kids screaming and playing on a college campus. Many alumni bring their kids back to walk around campus, especially because local alumni often attend services here. You often see toddlers in the Kosher cafeteria which I think is good- they're learning to behave in an adult setting.

Classes, on the other hand, are problematic. Last year I took a large lecture class with 4 TAs. All were young mothers, 2 single mothers. While their kids were all school aged, when there were school closings they would bring them in. I'll never forget the one class where we were talking about female genital mutilation with this 5 year old boy sitting in the front coloring! The kids obviously got so bored (even though the class was fascinating to ANYONE over 10 years old!) and while they didn't misbehave, you could see them getting cranky. While I would have preferred they got sitters or daycare, grad school at my college is over $50,000 a year. Now, no one goes there if they don't get grant funding for research or scholarships or anything, but that's a huge financial burden for a single parent and daycares and babysitters are expensive. If their kids can behave themselves during the lectures that I pay for, I'm fine with them sitting in class once in awhile.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:21 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,122,913 times
I taught at Loyola University in Chicago. Right across the hall on the nights I taught were wild 7-9 year olds that the education department were tutoring/doing activities with. It's quite possible that the little ones were there for something like this! They were often pretty loud, but I found it funny.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:12 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,151,232 times
Now, could it be that these parents can't afford a daycare or babysitter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting