U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:30 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,173,683 times

Advertisements

My apologies, your original post made it sound as though he was constantly plugged in.

If it is just a case of him asking to watch TV or play video games, then just keep saying no, eventually he will give up. Unfortunately, they are both designed to suck us in.
Then again maybe he wants someone to play WITH him, the contrast between a noisy TV, interactive video and quiet toy can be vast. As a parent, it is impossible to entertain all day, so maybe a playdate would help, invite a similar aged kid over to hang out so they can play with his toys together.

Best advice I can give is just to let him get bored, eventually he will go and entertain himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,381,409 times
Have you sat on the floor with him and the toys and sortof modeled playing? I had to do that with my son at first and then he took it from there.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:15 AM

2,484 posts, read 7,900,413 times
It sounds like you might have a smartie on your hands, OP. A lot of times, children show a lack of interest in toys because it is below their level of intelligent stimulation. It's sort of like us learning Kindergarten material over and over...not going to be very stimulating or interesting. Might want to offer him more books and perhaps higher level toys?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:28 AM

667 posts, read 2,097,804 times
Default Merry Christmas!

OK, now some good advice is coming in! And since I don't know how to "multi-quote" yet:

Inthesierras: I guess I'm not a big toy guru myself, but the ones you named off sound great! I'll most definately be looking into that, thank you so much!!

AnthonyB: Thank you as well, for coming back with strong advice! Now that you say it, I don't feel so bad about letting him get bored before he takes off on some imaginational jouney on his own!

FarNorthDallas: His dad plays with him on the floor more than I do. I'm the book, clean & cook person more than anything & my son helps with those things weekly. I play outside with him & we do various outside activites together. Thanks lots!

SmerkyGrl: You very well may be right! This is my first time raising a young man & I'm always trying to figure something out. He does have alot of old toys & some sports things, but I think I may need to get him more hands-on educational toys that are a bit higher level. He figures things out really quickly, I was so amazed when he had a 30 or more piece puzzle all figured out!! I really do appreciate it!

nicolepsy: I am beginning to think that you are a bit rude. I had a question & was looking for advice. These nice people above were genuinely helping with kind words. You were thinking of a way to say something borderline mean. And do you have kids?

I have a newfound approach to my situation & I thank you all!

Last edited by collected_eve; 12-21-2007 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: going bold!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:32 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,626,844 times
I hope you find something that he will enjoy. The Discovery Store (by the discovery channel) has some wonderful toys. They can be a bit pricey, but well worth it. If there is a Discovery Toy store in a mall near you, take your son there. My son is in heaven at that store, lol.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
Some kids are just more attracted to video games then others. We have 3 kids, one LOVES video games and it is a content battle over playing time. The other 2 will play them on occasion but would be fine without them too. I have just resigned myself to the fact that this is just the way it is. He is a sophomore in high school and this is just what he likes. He has never been a real social kid as much as we would like that to be different he just isn't--and not because of the video games, just his personality. His future career plans are to be a video game designer so if he can turn that into a job, great.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:18 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,802,899 times
I agree with golfgal... not all children are into toys, especially boys. I have wasted thousand of dollars over the years on toys when my children would rather take a sheet and make a tent or the gool ol' empty box. They also love going outside and riding bikes or going to the park. Toys are great for expanding their imaginations but there are also other ways of doing this. As long as he is using his imagination and being a little boy and is happy then not much else matters I think.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:29 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,421,488 times
Now I'm confused. If he doesn't watch TV that much why would it even be a consideration to put one in his room?

Old 12-22-2007, 06:17 PM

3,226 posts, read 12,663,099 times
Good point.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:14 AM

667 posts, read 2,097,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Now I'm confused. If he doesn't watch TV that much why would it even be a consideration to put one in his room?
Now I did mention that he gets a max of 30 min. of TV per day, that's IF he had good behavior at school. It is a luxury. And a luxury that he only gets if he's been very well.
He also gets to jump on his bed if he had a good day at school. Which is more often than not, but he has his moods with his teachers sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting