U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:11 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,016,469 times

Advertisements

Well, at this point, since you already made a decision to put a TV in his room and introduced him to Nintendo, you battle is lost. It will be a cruel undeserving punishment to take all those things away from him now that you gave it to him. Certainly it is the fault of a parent to introduce him to those things early on and your child does not deserve this punishment especially since in his eyes he didn't do anything wrong. I cannot whatsoever blame him for not want ting to play with toys. Who would?...when they have such high tech exciting things going on. Quiet honestly, I don't even know why you want him to play toys, majority of toys don't stimulate creativity. At this point I think the best you can do is take him OUTSIDE. Let him run around even in the cold weather. Introduce him to other kids, have play dates. Take him AWAY from his room. Let him play with objects that are other then toys, like paint or rocks...
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 12:23 PM

2,584 posts, read 9,377,081 times
I would vote for taking the tv out of the room. Not as a punishment, but mom/dad made a mistake. A 4 year old may not like it but they can understand someone saying they made a mistake. I think both TV and computer (with internet) in a child's room are big mistakes. I would vote that even thru teen years they don't get them (I have a 17 and 19 year old). Its already easy enough for the kids to isolate themselves, these two things in their room just encourage that additional isolation too much.

The computers with internet are in very public areas of the house. TVs are also in generally public areas.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:33 PM

667 posts, read 2,100,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Well, at this point, since you already made a decision to put a TV in his room and introduced him to Nintendo, you battle is lost. It will be a cruel undeserving punishment to take all those things away from him now that you gave it to him. Certainly it is the fault of a parent to introduce him to those things early on and your child does not deserve this punishment especially since in his eyes he didn't do anything wrong. I cannot whatsoever blame him for not want ting to play with toys. Who would?...when they have such high tech exciting things going on. Quiet honestly, I don't even know why you want him to play toys, majority of toys don't stimulate creativity. At this point I think the best you can do is take him OUTSIDE. Let him run around even in the cold weather. Introduce him to other kids, have play dates. Take him AWAY from his room. Let him play with objects that are other then toys, like paint or rocks...
Good luck.
Have you read my last few posts?

I don't mind that my son knows that Nintendo exists or that he watches Nemo or Monsters Inc. before he goes to bed.
When my husband & I are winding down at night or on down time on Saturdays, we pull out the ol' Mario World. It's fun & when he has had a good week at school we'll all get a turn playing the game. This usually goes on for less than an hour. We have a great time playing together.
Your words "cruel & undeserving" are VERY wrong. I never took anything away from him. I simply am trying to get him to not constatly talk & think & ask about the game. And he's not getting punished.
We play PLENTY outside, I even walk to pick him up from school so that we can talk & look at things together & we usually stop at the park & play for a bit.
I don't know why I'm repeating myself, read my previous posts & maybe you will get a better understanding of my situation.
Which by the way, has changed a bit over the last few days. My son received some Christmas gifts from his grandparents & got to open those early.
He got an original Memory game & some activity books. And hasn't asked about the Nintendo in days. He has been redirected to something that is keeping him stimulated & occupied.
I have come to believe that the toys that he has had since last Christmas have become boring to him. He has grown alot in a year. The toys & games that he has are no longer of any interest & do not stimulate his growing mind.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:45 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,429,577 times
My teen son is a gamer from a young age and does other stuff, too. It's not either/or so I have no beef with the Nintendo. I tell you what though, he wouldn't care one iota about activity books and a memory game. He can smell Educational Toy from a mile away and wants no part of it. You may be on to something that he just needs some new toys. Mine never cared for board games, Yatze (he got 3 one birthday), hot wheels, trucks, trains. He *did* like card games like Uno, and Lego's, Bionicles, Transformers and the plastic "guys" like superheros and plastic animals and bugs and he liked to make forts with tables and blankets. Can you host some playdates with other kids? That may help him learn how to play with toys.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
My teen son is a gamer from a young age and does other stuff, too. It's not either/or so I have no beef with the Nintendo. I tell you what though, he wouldn't care one iota about activity books and a memory game. He can smell Educational Toy from a mile away and wants no part of it. You may be on to something that he just needs some new toys. Mine never cared for board games, Yatze (he got 3 one birthday), hot wheels, trucks, trains. He *did* like card games like Uno, and Lego's, Bionicles, Transformers and the plastic "guys" like superheros and plastic animals and bugs and he liked to make forts with tables and blankets. Can you host some playdates with other kids? That may help him learn how to play with toys.
Yes, after Santa makes his rounds he will have lots of new things. Out with the old & boring, in with the new & interesting.
My son is very attracted to educational books & activities, by the way. Like I said before, he will pick up a book or coloring book over a toy any day of the week.
Having a playdate would be helpful, too. I haven't lived in my area long, no friends yet & have been looking into MOPS & different groups of that sort.
Thanks to all for advice.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Have you read my last few posts?

I don't mind that my son knows that Nintendo exists or that he watches Nemo or Monsters Inc. before he goes to bed.
When my husband & I are winding down at night or on down time on Saturdays, we pull out the ol' Mario World. It's fun & when he has had a good week at school we'll all get a turn playing the game. This usually goes on for less than an hour. We have a great time playing together.
Your words "cruel & undeserving" are VERY wrong. I never took anything away from him. I simply am trying to get him to not constatly talk & think & ask about the game. And he's not getting punished.
We play PLENTY outside, I even walk to pick him up from school so that we can talk & look at things together & we usually stop at the park & play for a bit.
I don't know why I'm repeating myself, read my previous posts & maybe you will get a better understanding of my situation.
Which by the way, has changed a bit over the last few days. My son received some Christmas gifts from his grandparents & got to open those early.
He got an original Memory game & some activity books. And hasn't asked about the Nintendo in days. He has been redirected to something that is keeping him stimulated & occupied.
I have come to believe that the toys that he has had since last Christmas have become boring to him. He has grown alot in a year. The toys & games that he has are no longer of any interest & do not stimulate his growing mind.
Admittedly I didn't read your previous posts, sorry, I just jumped into replying since I was short on time and didn't have time to read entire thread. I have more understanding of your situation. I absolutely however stand by my words that IF you did take TV from his room (I don't mean not allowing to watch, I MEANT TAKING IT AWAY FROM HIS ROOM) will be undeserving and cruel. You put that TV there and taking it away will make him think he did something wrong.

At this moment then I don't really understand the point of your thread. Seems like watching too much TV or playing too much Nintendo wasn't a problem and you just analyzed yourself saying that perhaps he just outgrew his toys.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
At this moment then I don't really understand the point of your thread. Seems like watching too much TV or playing too much Nintendo wasn't a problem and you just analyzed yourself saying that perhaps he just outgrew his toys.
My original problem was that my son was constantly asking to play Nintendo, after only playing it less than 5 times in a 2 month period. CONSTANTLY asking.
Then when we said 'no' to Nintendo & redirected him to something else (playing downstairs, helping cook, playing with the cat). And after 2-3 min. he would then ask for TV. Now he knows when TV is allowed, but tryed anyways. Never did he want to play in his room with his things. This has been going on for about 6 months. Oh, and the TV will not be coming out of his room. That was someone else's advice that I will not be taking.
People gave me good advice with this post.
And one person suggested that I just let him get bored. That was a good idea, instead of always trying to keep my son entertained, let him entertain himself. Imagination will spark during boredom, I suppose.
And I didn't just analyze my problem on my own, if I would have, I wouldn't have posted this. Like I said, good advice from these kind people.
That's what these forums are for, right?
So, yes, especially after Christmas now, my son has new things & is moving on from asking about games.
I got him toys that he would have to think about, plus just some new ones to play with. These will probably be boring in another 6 months.
My first kid, I will have strange questions, just like most others.

Last edited by collected_eve; 12-26-2007 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: oops

Old 12-26-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
My original problem was that my son was constantly asking to play Nintendo, after only playing it less than 5 times in a 2 month period. CONSTANTLY asking.
Then when we said 'no' to Nintendo & redirected him to something else (playing downstairs, helping cook, playing with the cat). And after 2-3 min. he would then ask for TV. Now he knows when TV is allowed, but tryed anyways. Never did he want to play in his room with his things. This has been going on for about 6 months. Oh, and the TV will not be coming out of his room. That was someone else's advice that I will not be taking.
And one person suggested that I just let him get bored. That was a good idea, instead of always trying to keep my son entertained, let him entertain himself. Imagination will spark during boredom, I suppose.
And I didn't just analyze my problem on my own, if I would have, I wouldn't have posted this. Like I said, good advice from these kind people.
So, yes, especially after Christmas now, my son has new things & is moving on from asking about games.
I got him toys that he would have to think about, plus just some new ones to play with. These will probably be boring in another 6 months.
Seems like you have a good handle on things. I always ask strange questions myself. Good luck, mama

Old 12-27-2007, 06:51 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,924,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i think you started him out on the video games too early. if he didnt know about them then he would be playing with more simple things. sorry, it's too late! p.s. he also might want to be just like you since he sees you play nintendo.
im sorry you find this post rude. it wasnt my intention at all. children want to be like their parents so that is why i said he might want to be just like mom.
p.s. i think it's rude for you to call me rude when all i was doing was trying to help you.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 PM

371 posts, read 1,788,429 times
Quote:

I definitely feel you! My son, 5 years old, got a lot of new toys and the next day he was asking (before my moring coffee) "Mom, will you play with me?" Now isn't that cute, but when I am his main entertainment 24/7, this can get a bit tiresome. I took him to the aquarium today (amongst other stops) and the first thing he says when we get in the house, "Mom, will you play with me?" We haven't even eaten our lunch. I'll tell you that if your child doesn't play (AT ALL) by themselves their mothers have a job that's neverending. There is no coffee break, there is no lunch breaks, there are no breaks whatsoever! Don't judge this woman IF her child can be turned on by something other than her entertainment for some well needed break. My son will not watch t.v. nor play video games and I, despite other's opinions, would welcome a t.v. or video game break. I would welcome a little independent play break too, but he just isn't doing it. If I let him become bored he usually tries to gain attention by doing something he shouldn't. In other words, bad attention is better than no attention. I REALLY DO FEEL FOR YOU and I know we will win in the long run because I believe we are being taught patience, patience, patience and perserverence! Good luck and know you have a sister that will pray for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting