U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:40 AM

667 posts, read 2,097,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
I definitely feel you! My son, 5 years old, got a lot of new toys and the next day he was asking (before my moring coffee) "Mom, will you play with me?" Now isn't that cute, but when I am his main entertainment 24/7, this can get a bit tiresome. I took him to the aquarium today (amongst other stops) and the first thing he says when we get in the house, "Mom, will you play with me?" We haven't even eaten our lunch. I'll tell you that if your child doesn't play (AT ALL) by themselves their mothers have a job that's neverending. There is no coffee break, there is no lunch breaks, there are no breaks whatsoever! Don't judge this woman IF her child can be turned on by something other than her entertainment for some well needed break. My son will not watch t.v. nor play video games and I, despite other's opinions, would welcome a t.v. or video game break. I would welcome a little independent play break too, but he just isn't doing it. If I let him become bored he usually tries to gain attention by doing something he shouldn't. In other words, bad attention is better than no attention. I REALLY DO FEEL FOR YOU and I know we will win in the long run because I believe we are being taught patience, patience, patience and perserverence! Good luck and know you have a sister that will pray for you.
Ahhhhhhh!! You are a breath of fresh air!
Obviously everyone's children are different & to find someone who "feels yah," it is so incredibly relieving!

Thank you & I "feel yah" TOO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
im sorry you find this post rude. it wasnt my intention at all. children want to be like their parents so that is why i said he might want to be just like mom.
p.s. i think it's rude for you to call me rude when all i was doing was trying to help you.
My apologies nicolepsy.
Considering that we are typing here & I cannot hear your tone of voice nor see your face, it's hard to tell how someone is intending their message to sound.
I guess that why the Smilies are so widely used.

So, with that said, thanks for the advice.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:36 AM

12,620 posts, read 17,684,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
I definitely feel you! My son, 5 years old, got a lot of new toys and the next day he was asking (before my moring coffee) "Mom, will you play with me?" Now isn't that cute, but when I am his main entertainment 24/7, this can get a bit tiresome. I took him to the aquarium today (amongst other stops) and the first thing he says when we get in the house, "Mom, will you play with me?" We haven't even eaten our lunch. I'll tell you that if your child doesn't play (AT ALL) by themselves their mothers have a job that's neverending. There is no coffee break, there is no lunch breaks, there are no breaks whatsoever! Don't judge this woman IF her child can be turned on by something other than her entertainment for some well needed break. My son will not watch t.v. nor play video games and I, despite other's opinions, would welcome a t.v. or video game break. I would welcome a little independent play break too, but he just isn't doing it. If I let him become bored he usually tries to gain attention by doing something he shouldn't. In other words, bad attention is better than no attention. I REALLY DO FEEL FOR YOU and I know we will win in the long run because I believe we are being taught patience, patience, patience and perserverence! Good luck and know you have a sister that will pray for you.
My youngest had a hard time playing alone too..... Wanted mommie to play with him all day. He too was a helper kid still is at 15 yrs. but now he does have other interests. Ha ha thank goodness....
My youngest loved Barney and would watch it over and over and over. Oh and at 1 1/2 yrs old he decided he no longer needed naps..... LOL what fun that made in my day as well.....
My suggestion is turn on the tv get done what you need to.... Don't feel bad about it either.
But maybe a play group would be good for him? Or day care for a day a week so he could interact with kids his age? Maybe?
Good luck on this one I have been there. Not a moment alone is trying.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:39 PM

308 posts, read 1,443,087 times
Just another thought--but perhaps your child is mildly obsessed with the video games (Nintendo) because he's not allowed much time with it (if I understood your posts correctly)?

When I was much younger, I remember constantly harrassing my friends to play their games when I visited because it was something I didn't get to do at home. It was something new for me, so I was interested in it more than my friends who typically had no interest because they did have constant access to them.

My own kiddo also used to want and ask to play the X-box constantly. If we let him play it once in a blue moon, then he would start asking to play every chance he could, in the hopes that we might say 'yes'. We would tell him no, and he would go find something else to do, only to return and ask again later. It was something novel for him, something he had minimal experience with, so he wanted it more. We finally started scheduling him "game time" during the weekends. He knew when he was allowed to play, for how long, and what he had to do in order to keep it (or lose it). He no longer pesters us about video games because he knows he'll have it at some point as long as he behaves. It's no longer new & quite so intriguing so he's also not quite so entranced by it. He spends most of his time with playing, board games, going outside, or reading his books, without any complaints about lack of video game time because he's well aware that he will have access to it at some point.

G'luck!

(And don't worry too much about the TV in the bedroom. My child also has one in his room and he does not spend an excessive amount of time with it on. If we want quiet or alone time for ourselves, we typically have to "ask" him to go to his room to watch a movie since he prefers being in the front room playing by himself, reading, or harrassing the pets.)

Old 01-02-2008, 08:18 AM

Default now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
Just another thought--but perhaps your child is mildly obsessed with the video games (Nintendo) because he's not allowed much time with it (if I understood your posts correctly)?

(And don't worry too much about the TV in the bedroom. My child also has one in his room and he does not spend an excessive amount of time with it on. If we want quiet or alone time for ourselves, we typically have to "ask" him to go to his room to watch a movie since he prefers being in the front room playing by himself, reading, or harrassing the pets.)
Hmm...I never thought of that!
This very well could be true.
And the only reason I don't let him have much time with it is because I don't want him to become one of those "gamer kids" that are always in front of some sort of screen.
But, if I did give him some scheduled time with it, then maybe it would tame his eager, ambitious urge to play.
Maybe I am just too paranoid. I mean, some people were kinda' nasty in this post about me letting my child have a TV in his room & play Nintendo.
But then again, sometimes it hard to grasp what someone is trying to explain in a fairly short story!

But your advice is great! Thanks for the help! Eve

Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 AM

3,099 posts, read 1,912,002 times
Quote:
maybe he's a bit ocd and has an obsession with all things electronic.
i also mentioned that he may be a bit ocd (obsessive compulsive disorder).

Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
i also mentioned that he may be a bit ocd (obsessive compulsive disorder).
Fortunately, I seriously doubt that this is the issue.
If I had any feeling that my son is OCD, I'm sure I would have other concerns & posts.

Thanks anyway.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:19 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,912,002 times
oh, i thought that you were agreeing with the this quoted post (possibility of an obsession with electronics). sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post

When I was much younger, I remember constantly harrassing my friends to play their games when I visited because it was something I didn't get to do at home. It was something new for me, so I was interested in it more than my friends who typically had no interest because they did have constant access to them.

My own kiddo also used to want and ask to play the X-box constantly. If we let him play it once in a blue moon, then he would start asking to play every chance he could, in the hopes that we might say 'yes'. We would tell him no, and he would go find something else to do, only to return and ask again later. It was something novel for him, something he had minimal experience with, so he wanted it more. We finally started scheduling him "game time" during the weekends. He knew when he was allowed to play, for how long, and what he had to do in order to keep it (or lose it). He no longer pesters us about video games because he knows he'll have it at some point as long as he behaves. It's no longer new & quite so intriguing so he's also not quite so entranced by it. He spends most of his time with playing, board games, going outside, or reading his books, without any complaints about lack of video game time because he's well aware that he will have access to it at some point.

G'luck!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
oh, i thought that you were agreeing with the this quoted post (possibility of an obsession with electronics). sorry.
All is good nicolepsy

Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,004,541 times
You need to teach your child to entertain himself. Help him tap into his creative side. Ask him to paint a picture for you. Build something for you. Why would he need to play with toys if he has you, who is willing to entertain him all day? He needs to know that you are the adult, your role in life is not to play games all day. He also needs to interact with other children who play with toys. Is he an only child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting