U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:06 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,995,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
oh, i thought that you were agreeing with the this quoted post (possibility of an obsession with electronics). sorry.
OCD is a lot more dangerous then just being obsessed with electronics. I'm obsessed with chocolate, but I hardly think I'm OCD... I just think the wording that you picked was a little strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 02:21 PM

3,099 posts, read 1,917,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
OCD is a lot more dangerous then just being obsessed with electronics. I'm obsessed with chocolate, but I hardly think I'm OCD... I just think the wording that you picked was a little strong.
yes i see what youre saying. i tend to throw the term "ocd" around quite casually (along with others that i know) but also believe that there are different degrees of ocd. i was speaking of a less severe form of course.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:26 PM

324 posts, read 1,155,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
When I was much younger, I remember constantly harrassing my friends to play their games when I visited because it was something I didn't get to do at home. It was something new for me, so I was interested in it more than my friends who typically had no interest because they did have constant access to them.
I just wanted to comment on this - I was exactly the same way! I was in second grade and my friend had a nintendo and ms. pacman. Ooooh I wanted to play all the time and she just wasn't interested. I did pester her often. I'm not a parent yet I I like what you said about scheduling time and not taking it away completely. I don't want my kids doing what I did to my best friend. She probably thought I was only friends because she had nintendo but in fact that was not the case. It was just such a novelty to me and so fun.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:06 PM

667 posts, read 2,098,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
He also needs to interact with other children who play with toys. Is he an only child?
Yes, he's my first & only so far.
I've been looking into different parent/child groups like MOPS, because I don't have any friends where I live now.
Or, at least none with children around my son's age.

Playdates are an excellent suggestion & this is something that is in our near future!
And yes, I have way too many other things to do than sit & entertain my kid!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 PM

371 posts, read 1,785,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Yes, he's my first & only so far.
I've been looking into different parent/child groups like MOPS, because I don't have any friends where I live now.
Or, at least none with children around my son's age.

Playdates are an excellent suggestion & this is something that is in our near future!
And yes, I have way too many other things to do than sit & entertain my kid!
Hey Eve,

Your in Arizona and I'm a short - hop and skip away. We live in New Mexico. LOL! Wish we were closer.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:42 PM
jco

2,120 posts, read 5,864,825 times
My son is nearing two, so there's a bit of an age gap. We cut the cable so that he doesn't really get to watch tv, and we don't play video games. Still, he LOVES electronics and hardly plays with his toys. I have a little tin box that I put small, but very interactive things in, including: finger paints, construction paper rolled up, markers, crayons, playdoh and cutters, stamps, bubbles, small cardboard puzzles, a toddler photo book of all his relatives, etc. Whenever I pull this out, he and I both know that we have enough activities to last an hour. He now becomes excited about playing together whenever he sees me take out the tin box (usually after he's trying to turn on the DVD player).

I guess my suggestion would be to pull him away from it with other "special" activities for just you and him.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:02 PM

667 posts, read 2,098,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
Hey Eve,

Your in Arizona and I'm a short - hop and skip away. We live in New Mexico. LOL! Wish we were closer.

Yeah, me too!

I'm a bit lonely out here, left all my good friends with kids the same age as my son, back in Missouri.
Thank goodness for parent/child groups, though. I attended MOPS when I first had my son. They were GREAT support.

I love NM, too! So beautiful, though I cannot wait to get back to MO. That's where my heart is! And everyone that I love (besides my hubby & son)!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 AM

371 posts, read 1,785,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Yeah, me too!

I'm a bit lonely out here, left all my good friends with kids the same age as my son, back in Missouri.
Thank goodness for parent/child groups, though. I attended MOPS when I first had my son. They were GREAT support.

I love NM, too! So beautiful, though I cannot wait to get back to MO. That's where my heart is! And everyone that I love (besides my hubby & son)!

I hear you. We moved here from Illinois this past May, but most of our family lives in New York. That's where I'm from. I do belong to a MOPS group here. Can you find one there or maybe a YMCA. I met a few moms through the Y in Illinois. I miss that most of all, but the nearest one is a 40 minute drive one way. Its a little too far for now. Good luck Eve!!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:21 PM

12,491 posts, read 13,112,445 times
i make the distinction between TV (which is very passive) and computer games (which are interactive and actually engage a kid and require participation). I was very distrubed when my 3 kids got glued to computer games. i didn't have TV in the house except for movies. I was worried they would turn into violent weapon-crazed zombies. I watched them intently for signs of maladjustment and sociopathic tendencies. I am not joking.

I always read to them, we all go through stacks of books, both reading to them by me (yes even when they were teens, they loved it) and reading on their own.

In our case it all turned out well and I have to say in retrospect the skills have served them well, both in high school, university, and career. Each have chosen careers and fields of study that use and require a high degree of skill with technology. Their what I saw as a mom as "computer game attachment to the exclusion of other activities" has gone into computer animation, computer aided drafting, computer science studies, programming in multiple computer languages, mechanical engineering, the list of postive benefits I have seen them reap goes on and on.

Part of it as a parent is we simply did not grow up with this, and our kids do and have. It is part of their life and while an extreme in any activity that leads to unbalanced living is of concern to a parent, I think it feels foreign to us because we have no touchstone.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:10 AM

24,736 posts, read 59,671,842 times
Throw the nintendo away and never buy another. he will be addicted to it in a year or two and never do anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting