U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:54 AM

27,252 posts, read 15,040,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Wow, a stranger approaches the kid, and he wisely gets away from this possible predator, and the cops arrest the mother?

While it would have been better for Dominic to go to the park with her or another friend, I think her arrest was overboard.
Agree 100% with this statement. Certainly, he would have been better off with a friend and her arrest was absolutely stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It's not insane. A 7 year old should not be playing in a park by himself. It doesn't sound like they live in such a great neighborhood, either. I grew up in a small, rural town, very safe, and still wouldn't have walked a half mile to a park by myself. I'd say maybe 100-200 yards to a friend's house (whose parents were home) was as far as I went. My mom and dad used to walk outside and call my name to come home and I was always close enough to hear them. And this was in the 70's. Anyone who thinks a 7 year old in a public park alone is OK has some strange ideas about taking care of their children.
Well, I wouldn't have wanted mine alone like that - but we had a neighborhood park and plenty of kids so it wasn't something I had to deal with. So I agree with you there.

Where I disagree is that this woman should have been arrested. That was just plain overboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why should a 7 year old answer a random women's questions? The more she asked questions, the more he realized he was uncomfortable. He was mature enough to act on his instincts and run the hell away from that women. He did what most parents teach their children to do when someone makes them feel uncomfortable.
I actually thought his response was impressive. I'm sure he's been told many times to run if he was approached by a stranger and didn't feel right. After that, though, he should have called his Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Someone called the police. They had an obligation to respond. If they had told the caller "MYOB" and something had happened to the child, there would be H*ll to pay for the police.
It's one thing for the police to respond and show up and another thing to actually go so far as to arrest the mother. Waay out of line, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 08:08 AM

84,967 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
It's one thing for the police to respond and show up and another thing to actually go so far as to arrest the mother. Waay out of line, IMO.
As I said in post #15! I was responding to someone who asked why the police got involved. They got involved b/c it's their job to respond to reports.

I find it ironic that so many say they wouldn't have done the same themselves, but defend this mom for doing so.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 AM

1,435 posts, read 2,214,041 times
My parents wouldn't let me go to a park by myself at 7, but definitely yes by 9 or 10. We rode bikes by ourselves around neighborhood at 9 or 10, and would bike the 2 miles to my grandparents house. It seems nowadays my parents would be considered hardened felons for giving us room to grow, preventing them from providing for us or themselves for the rest of their lives, not to mention breaking up a family. People make honest mistakes, but to call that criminal, break up a family, and ruin the rest of their lives is asinine.

How old do kids have to be too be able to play by themselves? How old before kids can be dropped off at the mall or watch a movie with their friends? I did all this around 10 or so. It seems that parents today are forced to be stressed out helicopter parents because of this nonsense. No wonder kids these days are ill equipped for the real world.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 AM

84,967 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
My parents wouldn't let me go to a park by myself at 7, but definitely yes by 9 or 10. We rode bikes by ourselves around neighborhood at 9 or 10, and would bike the 2 miles to my grandparents house. It seems nowadays my parents would be considered hardened felons for giving us room to grow, preventing them from providing for us or themselves for the rest of their lives, not to mention breaking up a family. People make honest mistakes, but to call that criminal, break up a family, and ruin the rest of their lives is asinine.

How old do kids have to be too be able to play by themselves? How old before kids can be dropped off at the mall or watch a movie with their friends? I did all this around 10 or so. It seems that parents today are forced to be stressed out helicopter parents because of this nonsense. No wonder kids these days are ill equipped for the real world.
I think 9 or 10 is a better age for that. We're not talking about a parent of a 10 year old being arrested; we're talking about a parent of a 7 year old.

All of your questions can be answered "it depends". Playing outside unsupervised depends a great deal on streets to cross, is the child with a friend, are there any other adults around, etc. Most parents seem comfortable dropping off kids at a movie or at the mall by 11-12.

I don't think kids "these days" are ill equipped for the real world, and I don't think not being allowed to go to the park alone, even at 10, is a portent of being ill-equipped for the world.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:22 AM

21,139 posts, read 22,112,687 times
Quote:

I find it ironic that so many say they wouldn't have done the same themselves, but defend this mom for doing so.
Why would you find that ironic? There are all kinds of things I might not choose to do that I would defend other's right to do.

I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to use my parenting choices as a benchmark of what is not only proper but legal.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:25 AM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Experience makes no difference if he comes upon actual danger on his way. He may know he has to be careful crossing the street, but someone could run the red light whether it's his first time or his 100th time. A kidnapper could grab him whether it's his 1st time or his 100th time. A stray dog could bite him whether it's his first time or his 100th time. How well is a 7 year old really going to be able to understand the potential hazards, and avoid them?
I'm not surprised you feel that way.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:27 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not surprised you feel that way.
I'm not surprised you feel that your word is gospel.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:08 AM

721 posts, read 1,253,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I'm feeling increasingly resentful about being forced to be a helicopter parent against my will. My 10 year old is begging me to walk to school by himself with his 8 year old brother. It is about .8 of a mile to their school. I know they would be fine but I will be driving them or walking with them because I am worried about being reported to the school or the cops. This is how I have to parent so my family is not subjected to unwanted involvement from all those well meaning "good Samaritans".

Honestly, I feel the same way. The other day I was at the playground with my kids and the kids moved from the playground structure to the tennis courts and another parent suggested we move to sit closer to them. My kids are Kindy and 2nd grade! They can't be 20 feet away from me? The kids are constantly running to me with their little squabbles and disagreements and I think they need to work at problem solving on their own. How are they going to learn to be independent with all of this over-parenting?

Old 08-03-2014, 09:35 AM

2,820 posts, read 3,063,551 times
Quote:
As I said in post #15! I was responding to someone who asked why the police got involved. They got involved b/c it's their job to respond to reports.

Well yeah! There are all sorts of parenting tactics I wouldn't employ with my own children, that doesn't mean I should call the police just because I disagree with what a parent is doing...

Old 08-03-2014, 10:11 AM

5,200 posts, read 4,108,387 times
Default Florida mom arrested after letting 7-year-old walk to the park alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well yeah! There are all sorts of parenting tactics I wouldn't employ with my own children, that doesn't mean I should call the police just because I disagree with what a parent is doing...
^This is the way I see it. This ''it takes a village to raise a child'' thing (crap) is getting out of control. The kid did nothing wrong. When an stranger confronted him and made him nervous, he ran away. It's not like the kid robbed someone at gun point or was abducted. It is a parents responsibility to raise their (our) children, not our government. The best way to get under my skin is to tell me how to raise my kid!

The number one accidental death for children is cars, try not to drive your kid somewhere.

If you want to keep children safe, have a curfew for little kids and juveniles. Mom always said ''there are no good phone calls for parents after 10 o'clock.''

How about these moms of 12 year-olds who shoot, steal, and beat up kids (and adults), are we gonna arrest them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or