Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well yeah! There are all sorts of parenting tactics I wouldn't employ with my own children, that doesn't mean I should call the police just because I disagree with what a parent is doing...
And just WHO in this thread said that was a good idea? List.

It bugs the H*double hockey-stick out of me that someone quotes a post, and then goes on to lambaste the person quoted for something s/he did not say!

It is possible to discuss the parenting without agreeing that the police should have been called. It's ridiculous to think that if the police were called, they shouldn't have investigated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
^This is the way I see it. This ''it takes a village to raise a child'' thing (crap) is getting out of control. The kid did nothing wrong. When an stranger confronted him and made him nervous, he ran away. It's not like the kid robbed someone at gun point or was abducted. It is a parents responsibility to raise their (our) children, not our government. The best way to get under my skin is to tell me how to raise my kid!

The number one accidental death for children is cars, try not to drive your kid somewhere.

If you want to keep children safe, have a curfew for little kids and juveniles. Mom always said ''there are no good phone calls for parents after 10 o'clock.''

How about these moms of 12 year-olds who shoot, steal, and beat up kids (and adults), are we gonna arrest them?
The kid was not arrested, his mom was.

As for cars, it's not that simple:

Leading causes of death in children:
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pd...oup_2011-a.pdf

Causes of non-fatal injuries:
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pd...ury_2012-a.pdf

Causes of injury deaths:
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pd...ury_2011-a.pdf

This thread has nothing to do with a need for curfews, nor with 12 year olds who are committing crimes.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-03-2014 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 11:25 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
^This is the way I see it. This ''it takes a village to raise a child'' thing (crap) is getting out of control. The kid did nothing wrong. When an stranger confronted him and made him nervous, he ran away. It's not like the kid robbed someone at gun point or was abducted. It is a parents responsibility to raise their (our) children, not our government. The best way to get under my skin is to tell me how to raise my kid!

The number one accidental death for children is cars, try not to drive your kid somewhere.

If you want to keep children safe, have a curfew for little kids and juveniles. Mom always said ''there are no good phone calls for parents after 10 o'clock.''

How about these moms of 12 year-olds who shoot, steal, and beat up kids (and adults), are we gonna arrest them?
Apparently moms only get arrested when their children are playing alone.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:39 AM

452 posts, read 897,999 times
The child did the right thing. The person whom called the police did not bottom line. It does take a lot of people to raise children and in this case the person that got involved did not help this family. Children should be able to go to a park by themselves if they are mature enough. I would question sending my children at that age to the park but there are some 7 yr olds that are mature at that age, it is not for me to decide any other child's maturity level. It is sad that we cannot let our children enjoy freedom from their parents without someone questioning it that does not have good intentions for the family. Ps my children are told to run away from adults when alone there is no reason why an adult needs to speak with a child when the child is by themselves.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:40 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

It bugs the H*double hockey-stick out of me that someone quotes a post, and then goes on to lambaste the person quoted for something s/he did not say!

It is possible to discuss the parenting without agreeing that the police should have been called. It's ridiculous to think that if the police were called, they shouldn't have investigated.

The kid was not arrested, his mom was.

As for cars, it's not that simple:

Leading causes of death in children:
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pd...oup_2011-a.pdf

Causes of non-fatal injuries:
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pd...ury_2012-a.pdf

Causes of injury deaths:
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pd...ury_2011-a.pdf

This thread has nothing to do with a need for curfews, nor with 12 year olds who are committing crimes.
Although this is not what happened here, what is a parent supposed to do if they have a troublemaker 7 year old who runs away and knows how to open locks, etc. Are we going to arrest the parent and make them felons for life because they have a bad child? What is a parent supposed to do in this case? Some kids that age have medical behavioral disorders that cause them to behave in antisocial ways. Are we going to arrest the parents because of this? The parents lives are already probably he'll to begin with due to the challenges of raising a kid with behavioral disorder.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Although this is not what happened here, what is a parent supposed to do if they have a troublemaker 7 year old who runs away and knows how to open locks, etc. Are we going to arrest the parent and make them felons for life because they have a bad child? What is a parent supposed to do in this case? Some kids that age have medical behavioral disorders that cause them to behave in antisocial ways. Are we going to arrest the parents because of this? The parents lives are already probably he'll to begin with due to the challenges of raising a kid with behavioral disorder.
Why are you asking me specifically?

As to the bold, I suspect this is why the police may have been called in the first place, ie, someone suspected this kid shouldn't have been out by himself, something many people on this forum cannot understand.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:03 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

B]
Huh? Lambaste? You said you thought it was ironic that people wouldn't send their kids to the park alone at age seven, but are still defending the mom for doing so. (If I misunderstood, I apologize.) I thought that was strange, and like I said just because I disagree with the choice she made doesn't mean the police should have been called, and therefore I am "defending" the mom.

I agree the police should have investigated; that's their job, regardless of how silly the claim may be. I disagree they should have been called in the first place.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:09 PM

477 posts, read 508,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I googled my childhood home address and elementary school. It is .7 miles.
You know, I just did the same thing. It is .8 miles to the middle school from my childhood address. I walked to school starting from kindergarten and nobody batted an eye lash. In fact you were not eligible for the bus unless you lived more than 2 miles from school. And yes, I did walk to school through the snow, though it wasn't uphill both ways, LOL! That's what boots, scarves, mittens, and winter coats are for.

They are getting crazy with the restrictions on kids and parents these days. There is so much out there that NEEDS fixing, can't we concentrate on that? And jailing this mother isn't fixing a thing - it is breaking things even more.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:13 PM

477 posts, read 508,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Although this is not what happened here, what is a parent supposed to do if they have a troublemaker 7 year old who runs away and knows how to open locks, etc. Are we going to arrest the parent and make them felons for life because they have a bad child?
I wouldn't call that "bad". I'd call it mischievous or adventurous. One of my brothers did something like this when he was about 3 years old. The police brought him home from a park about a half mile away because they thought it was somewhat suspicious that he was padding down the sidewalk in his footy-sleepers.

He had gotten up early in the morning, decided he wanted to go play at the playground, opened his window, CLIMBED DOWN THE TV TOWER, and happily pattered off towards the slides and swings.

We nailed his window shut. They did NOT put anybody in jail over it.

EDIT: BTW, we had to put slide locks on all the doors trying to keep him in. It didn't work, he figured them out. So we had to alarm the doors.

He just had the wanderlust, and he was way too little to understand why he couldn't just go pattering off anywhere he felt like any time he felt like it. If he had waited until he was 7 years old to go to a park by himself, it would have been a HUGE relief, LOL!

Last edited by NeonGecko; 08-03-2014 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 05:19 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
I wouldn't call that "bad". I'd call it mischievous or adventurous. One of my brothers did something like this when he was about 3 years old. The police brought him home from a park about a half mile away because they thought it was somewhat suspicious that he was padding down the sidewalk in his footy-sleepers...
This is a good example of the problem. We are criminalizing everything about life in America. Plenty of kids got "brought-home" by police when I was a kid. Not because they were criminals, but because they got into mischief, or accidentally broke something or were out a little past curfew.

Soon, almost everyone will have a juvenile record, or a parent who goes to jail because they belive their children deserve some freedom. I morn for modern childhood.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
This is a good example of the problem. We are criminalizing everything about life in America. Plenty of kids got "brought-home" by police when I was a kid. Not because they were criminals, but because they got into mischief, or accidentally broke something or were out a little past curfew.

Soon, almost everyone will have a juvenile record, or a parent who goes to jail because they belive their children deserve some freedom. I morn for modern childhood.
Bingo. This is what I wanted to say but unable to properly articulate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting