U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:11 AM

751 posts, read 800,813 times

Advertisements

Anatomically correct boy doll with penis shocks some parents | CTV News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:59 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,952,246 times
I certainly don't have any problem with the fact that the doll is anatomically correct. But I can see the point that it could have mentioned it on the box, since that is not the norm for most dolls.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:17 PM

16,466 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I certainly don't have any problem with the fact that the doll is anatomically correct. But I can see the point that it could have mentioned it on the box, since that is not the norm for most dolls.
I also am not upset with an anatomically correct doll but agree that it should have been mentioned on the box.

I remember once purchasing multiple layer boy and girl wooden puzzles for my classroom 25 years ago. They were really cute. The puzzles started out with them wearing winter coats, scarves and boots and the next layer down were school clothes and the next layer down was underwear and surprise, surprise, the bottom layer was anatomically correct nude drawings of the children without anything on.

I wrote to the foreign company (which made educational materials for schools) and found out that this type of puzzle was very common in Europe and they were surprised that I was surprised about the puzzle.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
How very silly. I say, "it's about time". But, for the record, the packaging has been changed to indicate the doll is anatomically correct.

Doll with penis shocks some parents - Parents - TODAY.com

Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 PM

970 posts, read 1,743,712 times
It clearly says in the description on Amazon that the boy doll is anatomically correct; I can't imagine it not saying that on the box.

I can't believe some people are still shocked by a baby doll with male (or female) parts. What the heck do they think real babies have in their diapers?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:34 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I also am not upset with an anatomically correct doll but agree that it should have been mentioned on the box.

I remember once purchasing multiple layer boy and girl wooden puzzles for my classroom 25 years ago. They were really cute. The puzzles started out with them wearing winter coats, scarves and boots and the next layer down were school clothes and the next layer down was underwear and surprise, surprise, the bottom layer was anatomically correct nude drawings of the children without anything on.

I wrote to the foreign company (which made educational materials for schools) and found out that this type of puzzle was very common in Europe and they were surprised that I was surprised about the puzzle.
I had those puzzles when I was a kid. I think they were German. I'm not sure my mom ever knew what was under the clothes. Didn't warp me in any way that I'm aware of

Old 08-01-2014, 11:23 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
Laughing at the lady quoted in the article who's daughter was excited to find a "boy" doll then got mad when they saw the penis. I mean, a "boy" doll without a penis is just a "doll" dressed in blue right?

I guess we should only have one "generic doll" with boy and girl clothing for those who don't think their kids should know the difference But I also don't think there was really as much SHOCK as headlines try to claim. Maybe surprise and some giggling. News has to be manufactured to feed the beast.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
About 15 years ago I had a successful doll and teddy bear shop in the suburbs of Atlanta. I carried mostly collectible items. I had a Down Syndrome baby, anatomically correct babies, several different ethnicities as well as beautiful one of a kind artist lifelike babies. These were very popular at the time and may well be today.

One day a rather uptight elderly woman came in and told me she was looking for a "special doll for my extremely intelligent 6 year old granddaughter". I showed her around the shop and left her alone to decide. About 10 minutes later I heard her exclaim "OH MY GOD. I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'M SEEING". I had already been criticized for carrying "such filth" earlier in the week and I just knew I was going to get yelled out again. To my delight this woman was a retired physician and she was so excited to find my boy and girl babies. She bought one of each and became a regular customer as well as a friend.

Some people are happy to find these dolls and use them to help children learn about differences early on.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:20 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,703,785 times
I remember having a boy doll when I was little - that was over 30 years ago! I was very happy to have a boy! Never was shocked or traumatized by his anatomy, I knew boys were not like girls " down there". (FYI I was born and raised in France, and yes, in Europe we don't make a big deal out of these things).

Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 AM

541 posts, read 942,539 times
Before my brother was born, my dad and step-mom bought me an "anatomically correct" boy doll. I'm 43, and the doll was bought in USA.

They have been around for awhile, you just had to know where to find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or