Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 PM

35 posts, read 40,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So what? Knowing how and actually doing it are two different things. (Backwoods Maine gets how many feet of snow during the school year?)

He's got opinions. Whoop dee doo. So does everyone else on the planet. Does he get to have them? Of course. Does he get to state his opinion that Grandma and Grandpa are retards? Apparently he does. Because he has a mother who is oddly quick to give herself an excuse for not being...... a parent.
He will not listen to me no matter what. To him I'm a dumb housewife and nothing more. He's smarter than me and is not afraid of me.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This actually can work wonders with smart boys who have forgotten just where they rank.

It can actually be especially effective coming from Mom, because they aren't used to you talking to them like a dude. In each of the examples you gave in your OP, you should have taken him to another room at that very moment and told him to stop being an *sshole.
I dunno. I feel like a more distant relative who is a sort of hero to the kid would be more effective. If my favorite uncle had said "Jeez, you're turning into a jerk," I would have probably keeled over in horror. If my mother or father had said that to me, I'd have said "Look who's talking." Of course, my parents are kind of *******s themselves. I've modeled my adult self on being as little like them as possible.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina545 View Post
He will not listen to me no matter what. To him I'm a dumb housewife and nothing more. He's smarter than me and is not afraid of me.
More excuses.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
What does it accomplish then?
Seriously? He learns that people won't do things for him unless he develops manners!!!!! You are cooking and cleaning for someone who treats you disrespectfully and thinks you are stupid. What does that say about your self worth? What person in the real world would do that for him?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I dunno. I feel like a more distant relative who is a sort of hero to the kid would be more effective. If my favorite uncle had said "Jeez, you're turning into a jerk," I would have probably keeled over in horror. If my mother or father had said that to me, I'd have said "Look who's talking." Of course, my parents are kind of *******s themselves. I've modeled my adult self on being as little like them as possible.
Yes, that's true. It all depends on the person and how he is motivated. It doesn't sound like he admires/respects anyone.

I have known plenty of smart teenagers who think they're better than EVERYone. But this guy sounds off the scale.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
More excuses.
What should I do then? I can't win. What would you do?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Seriously? He learns that people won't do things for him unless he develops manners!!!!! You are cooking and cleaning for someone who treats you disrespectfully and thinks you are stupid. What does that say about your self worth? What person in the real world would do that for him?
He is very good with people outside the family.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
That's why you should stop doing things for him. Let him do the stupid housewife stuff for himself.

Your doing things for him while he walks all over you just validates his belief you are stupid.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
What should I do then? I can't win. What would you do?
Dew told you what she would do.

Quote:
He is very good with people outside the family.
Then let people outside the family cook his food and wash his laundry.

He needs to learn that it's not acceptable to treat you or anyone the way he treats you. The way you teach him that is to stop doing anything for him as long as he's treating you badly.

He isn't good with people outside the family by treating them the way he treats family. They won't tolerate it. He gets away with treating his family this way because his family lets him.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's why you should stop doing things for him. Let him do the stupid housewife stuff for himself.

Your doing things for him while he walks all over you just validates his belief you are stupid.
He will do it himself he refuses to lose no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting