U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 05:07 PM

35 posts, read 34,914 times

Advertisements

My son is going into senior year and has developed a very callous attitude. This got worse after he took AP Biology and started applying the ideas to human life. For example, he makes jokes about my sister's fertility issues. He has called adoption an institution that allows for gays and steriles to live out their delusions of having kids. Also, he has called religious people including his own grandparents retards. He also said that he only cares about people when he benefits. There seems to be no compassion left in him and it breaks my heart that he sees the world through lens of Social Darwinism. He used to be such a happy go lucky child but that faded as he got exposed to the news and the world around him What should I do?

Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 PM

39,026 posts, read 37,656,456 times
So he was a totally normal, loving, happy kid until he took AP Biology?

Well, I guess you'd better schedule a parent-teacher conference.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So he was a totally normal, loving, happy kid until he took AP Biology?

Well, I guess you'd better schedule a parent=teacher conference!
no it escalated after he took it. He started developing a pessimistic and cynical attitude in middle school.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:14 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
How did he get to be a senior in high school and "all of a sudden" develop into someone rude enough to call anyone (let alone his own grandparents) "retards" and lacking compassion to the extent of making fun of people with personal struggles. My guess is either you are exaggerating due to some hurt feelings ot this did not happen as suddenly as you'd like to believe.

I do think that kids that age do tend to be a bit more self-centered than they have been in the past but not to the extent you are describing

Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How did he get to be a senior in high school and "all of a sudden" develop into someone rude enough to call anyone (let alone his own grandparents) "retards" and lacking compassion to the extent of making fun of people with personal struggles. My guess us either you are exaggerating due to some hurt feelings ot this did not happen as suddenly as you'd like to believe.

I do think that kids that age do tend to be a bit more self-centered than they have been in the past but not to the extent you are describing
I used to think it was a phase that would pass but it has just escalated.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:18 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina545 View Post
no it escalated after he took it. He started developing a pessimistic and cynical attitude in middle school.

and you are just now concerned with his attitude?
Where have you and your concern been the last few years?
Apparently someone with more influence over him than you
has been teaching him this behavior and attitude is fine.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
and you are just now concerned with his attitude?
Where have you and your concern been the last few years?
Apparently someone with more influence over him than you
has been teaching him this behavior and attitude is fine.
I thought he was just being silly. Whenever I talk to him it goes in one ear and come out of the other. His friends are more or less partiers who don't have the brain capacity for this kind of thought. I think he has developed this way on his own. He has always been an independent thinker.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:27 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Obviously this has nothing to do with biology class. You're not doing him any favors by blaming his behavior on outside influences.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Obviously this has nothing to do with biology class. You're not doing him any favors by blaming his behavior on outside influences.
I think he reacts to what he's exposed by analyzing it and drawing his own conclusions.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:43 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina545 View Post
I think he reacts to what he's exposed by analyzing it and drawing his own conclusions.
That's what intelligent adults are supposed to do with new information. The conclusions he draws are the result of his personality, not society. By blaming outside influences, you are not requiring him to be responsible for his own behavior and manners. Manners is what he's lacking when he jokes about his aunt's fertility issues and calls his religious grandparents retards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting