U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:50 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,583,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You couldn't just have said that in the OP?
and bias the conservation?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 04:55 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Bulldogs View Post
I agree that it depends on the kid. This was a fun movie and I'm sure many of the adult jokes go over their heads. Yes, there's death but I remember crying my eyes out at Disney movies, the whole "losing the mom" theme is the same.

I was horrified that there was a 7 year old at Kick-Ass, though.
yeah, my kid can't see Kick-Ass (as much as I love it) until . . at least 13! I mean its a great movie, but way too much. . .going on.

My personal cut off is the level of human violence. . .blood/etc. Cursing level. . . and sex. Not so much naked, but just sex. . .as an act. . .isn't one I want to explain in detail yet.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:20 PM

7,168 posts, read 7,612,929 times
I never gave PG13 a thought when it came to allowing my daughter.

Quote:
PG-13 – Parents Strongly Cautioned
Parents are urged to be cautious as the motion picture contains some material that parents might consider inappropriate for children under 13 years.
I dont think there is anything that says "OMG never let your kid see this if they are under 13!!". To each their own I suppose but I dont have an issue with PG13.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:32 PM

3,653 posts, read 7,277,191 times
Took my 12 year old yesterday and saw several younger kids as young 4 -5. The movie was more aggressive in nature than sexually suggestive.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 9,079,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I never gave PG13 a thought when it came to allowing my daughter.

I dont think there is anything that says "OMG never let your kid see this if they are under 13!!". To each their own I suppose but I dont have an issue with PG13.
I would agree with this. It's not like they have a rating of NC-13(No one under 13) Each child is different. If the parents/guardian thinks the child can handle it, it's none of your business. Do your job as a parent. If you don't want your kids to see that movie, don't let them, but how other people parent is none of your concern.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 PM

11,136 posts, read 6,626,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
So I went to the 7pm showing of Guardians of the galaxy. I couldn't help but notice how many young kids were there. I saw children as low as 5. . and i'm pretty sure I heard lower (maybe babies) crying at one point.
Quote:
Spoiler
and for that matter, I brought my 5 year old and he loved it
Wait, what? You couldn't help but notice that your own five year old child was at the movies with you?

I feel like the point of this thread was only for you to toot your own horn and show how "cool" of a parent you are to bring your young child to a PG-13 movie. But the truth is, it happens all the time and really isn't a big deal. As long as the parents know that their child is able to handle the movie.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 PM

15,128 posts, read 19,769,195 times
Quote:
. . .any plans to see Guardians with a 5-13 year old?
My kids have no desire to see it. I'll catch the DVD.

As for the broader issue, it totally depends on the kid. One 5 year old might love it. It might traumatize another 10 year old. Kids are different.

When my kids were about 4 and 5, they begged and begged to watch JURASSIC PARK. After weeks of begging, my wife and I finally relented and sat down and watched it with them. They loved it. Didn't bother them in the slightest. A week later they watched HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS and ran from the room screaming.

So this issue ought to be totally in the hands of parents.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM

133 posts, read 122,882 times
My kiddo is six and yes, we saw GotG. We are also seeing Ninja Turtles this coming weekend. We saw Lucy and the Purge 2 here recently.

He's a laid back kid and he doesn't run up and down the aisle or misbehave during the movie. He looooves going to the theater and so do I. We've been traveling all summer and right now we're on break and so we've been hitting up the movies a lot.

He handles it all fine. Weirdly enough he did not like Rio 2. He's more of an action/horror type of kid

Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 PM

10,870 posts, read 18,968,919 times
I take my kids to PG-13 movies and don't think twice about it. Most R-rated movies I will watch first, or read the parental advisory on IMDB.

The other day I was showing my sister a video on YouTube and my brother-in-law insisted it was totally inappropriate for my kids to watch it. I was pretty surprised, because we've watched some R-rated movies with him and our kids and he never asked if those were appropriate for our kids to see. I apologized for making him uncomfortable, since he's big on apologies, but after he left I told the kids I thought it was kind of silly that he had such a problem.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,160,538 times
My only problem with kids in the movie theater is when parents bring kids who can't sit through an entire movie without getting antsy, making noise, talking, etc. Or when parents bring babies and the baby starts to fuss (no wonder, with it being so loud) or crying, and the parent thinks they can just stand in the hallway (still close enough to view the screen) and it won't bother anyone. I'm usually pretty tolerant, but I recently told a parent to take their baby out (who started crying as soon as the movie got loud). If you can't afford to hire a babysitter, wait to rent the movie. I think theaters should charge for the infants - pretty sure less parents would bring them in.

When my daughter was young (she's a teenager now), I waited until she showed she could sit through an entire movie at home without fidgeting, talking, or making noise. I didn't tell her that's what we were waiting for or anything, I just paid attention to what she could handle and what she couldn't, and thought it would be rude to other moviegoers to bring her to the theater before she could sit through a movie without causing a fuss.

As to the movie rating, I try to show some common sense. I don't really mind language, and I think it's lame that the F word can warrant an R rating, but that showing multiple people getting killed can remain PG-13. If I'm worried about a movie, I'll check out different ratings websites and look at the synopsis, then make my decision about whether to take my kid to it or not. There are few movies that she's wanted to see that I wouldn't take her to - actually, I don't know if I can think of one off the top of my head. She doesn't like horror flicks or super violent stuff, anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting