Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 PM

970 posts, read 2,206,601 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't take a 5 year old to a PG-13 movie, but I've seen plenty of young children at PG-13 and R rated movies.

I seriously doubt most parents are oblivious to movie ratings. You would have to be living under a rock to think Guardians of the Galaxy was a kids movie. Most people who bring their children think their kids can handle it, or they can't find a babysitter and want to go anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,268,206 times
I use the website Kids in Mind (Kids-In-Mind: Movie ratings & parents' reviews that actually work) to determine if my kids can see any movie. That site allows me to see EXACTLY what takes place during the movie as far as sex, violence and language. My kids (ages 10 and 11) can say they want to see a particular movie all they want, but if the score at Kids in Mind is over 3.6.4 then they (for the most part) aren't going to see it.

Guardians was 3.6.4.
Per Mom2Bulldogs post, Kick-Ass was 7.9.10. NO WAY will my kids see that movie anytime soon.
They desperately want to see Hercules, but that was 5.7.5, so it's a no-go.

And they accept that decision because it's based strictly on numbers, not my own whim.

I have made exceptions in some cases. They've seen all the Marvel movies despite being as high as 3.7.5. And a couple of the Harry Potter movies were 4.7.3 (at a time I was only letting them see up to 3.5.3), but I allowed them to see them since they had already read the books.

I recently let my 11 year old watch Slumdog Millionaire with me (5.8.5 in theaters) but only because it was on TV and so I know it was edited a bit to bring it to a more acceptable level.

I love Kids in Mind - it has been a lifesaver because it reduces any arguments over whether or not they can see any given movie.

As for TV, I've got our DirecTV on lockdown so that anything over a PG-13 rating requires a passcode. Only my husband and I know that passcode, and it changes every two weeks because once my daughter randomly guessed and figured out the code (my husband's birthday year).

Old 08-07-2014, 08:24 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,192,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Seriously????? I watched this a few times and first of all, if you blinked, you'd miss him looking under the blanket, and second of all, a 5 year old would have absolutely no idea the correlation between seeing a pretty girl and getting a boner. I'm sorry, but this particular argument is riDICulous, excuse the pun.

I've had kids of various ages at my house watch this movie several times and every time this scene came on, they all giggled. My point is everyone is so frightened that their kids hear the word "sh*t" when there's CHILDREN'S movies being made with sexual innuendos. A children's movie showing a man in bed holding a martini. Really? YOU don't think there's something wrong with THAT?

I still stand by my comment.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,420,406 times
interesting site, thanks. I would agree PG-13 and the like . .aren't useful to me. So I just disagree with basing judgement on something as arbitrary as the MPAA.

though the site goes into WAY too much detail too. Seriously. . spoiler city

now back to me and my 5 year old playing Gears of War co-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I use the website Kids in Mind (Kids-In-Mind: Movie ratings & parents' reviews that actually work) to determine if my kids can see any movie. That site allows me to see EXACTLY what takes place during the movie as far as sex, violence and language. My kids (ages 10 and 11) can say they want to see a particular movie all they want, but if the score at Kids in Mind is over 3.6.4 then they (for the most part) aren't going to see it.

Guardians was 3.6.4.
Per Mom2Bulldogs post, Kick-Ass was 7.9.10. NO WAY will my kids see that movie anytime soon.
They desperately want to see Hercules, but that was 5.7.5, so it's a no-go.

And they accept that decision because it's based strictly on numbers, not my own whim.

I have made exceptions in some cases. They've seen all the Marvel movies despite being as high as 3.7.5. And a couple of the Harry Potter movies were 4.7.3 (at a time I was only letting them see up to 3.5.3), but I allowed them to see them since they had already read the books.

I recently let my 11 year old watch Slumdog Millionaire with me (5.8.5 in theaters) but only because it was on TV and so I know it was edited a bit to bring it to a more acceptable level.

I love Kids in Mind - it has been a lifesaver because it reduces any arguments over whether or not they can see any given movie.

As for TV, I've got our DirecTV on lockdown so that anything over a PG-13 rating requires a passcode. Only my husband and I know that passcode, and it changes every two weeks because once my daughter randomly guessed and figured out the code (my husband's birthday year).

Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,350,927 times
I take each movie on a case by case basis. The parent reviews are fairly spot on and they indicate what issues there are.

My ten year old was fine with Guardians. We discussed what the language was and she closes her eyes if she needs to. It had some mild cursing, which she has heard worse in public places. The flipping the bird, again she has seen that in public too.

She knows we don't curse or act rude, so that's a non issue for us.

I would never take her to see an r rated movie, and if a pg 13 movie is too much then we watch it in FF. I typically will see a movie like that first and censor it myself. It seems to work for us.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,420,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
My kid is too young for any movie at this point, but I'd take him to a PG-13 movie before the age of 13 if he could handle it (so far, I think he could, but who knows).

I saw PG-13 and R movies well before 13 years of age. It never really impacted me, because I always realized that it's just a fake movie and the endings were almost always happy anyway.
Good point -

My parents took me to see Robocop (error on their part) when I was 12

I ended up 1) loving the movie before I understood how campy it was 2) disappointing in the toned down re-release last year . . .seriously can we not have R movies anymore? 3) was not negatively impacted in anyway.

My brother saw Gremlins when he was like 8 or 9? f'd him up for a year. Scared of everything.

my deciding factor these days. . .i don't want the kid to be scared or have nightmares

and I guess I would prefer him from seeing wanton violence

but - once they reach 8-10. . .youtube or google will bring up any violent scene they want.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:35 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,268,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
interesting site, thanks.

though the site goes into WAY too much detail too. Seriously. . spoiler city
Most of the time I don't read the actual spoilers unless the rating is just above the 3.6.4. limit. For instance, if a movie is 3.6.5 I'll look at that section (language) to see why it was one higher than our limit.

And the site doesn't give away movie spoilers ("John proposes to Sophia after he kisses her during a romantic walk on the beach") so much as scene event spoilers ("man and woman kiss on beach"). They in no way affect my ability to enjoy the movie.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,041,869 times
I felt the MPAA ratings were accurate and useful for GotG. Specifically, alot of non humanoid aliens die in hand to hand combat, humanoids die in a distance (jet fighters & cities blow up), somebody uses the d--k and a-----e word in dialogue. Prison scenes, Mom dies of cancer, and somebody sacrifices themselves to save another.

If you feel this is unacceptable for your child, you can always wait for it on TV - I'm sure FX will show the movie with those key offenses muted, in exchange for loading an extra 59 minutes of commericals. cable/TV exists separate from the theatre for a reason.

My daughter squeals Eeeewwww! when even Disney cartoon characters kiss, yours might curse like the son of a sailor.
I knew my child enjoyed the movie, but I'll wait another 3+ years before I bring her to another PG13.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,675,965 times
Speaking of this movie....Children's Hospital of LA recently showed the movie for patients and staff....with the star, Chris Pratt in attendance...and in character....and he spent hours with kids and passing out swag and taking pictures. (Pratt is awesome anyway...lol...but this was kewl.)

Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,218,790 times
I don't think I would take my kid to the cinema for any film for quite a few years yet. You can't trust young children to always be still and quiet even if normally are and I wouldn't want to miss the film taking her out so best just to wait until she's older and watch things at home until then. Cinemas are so loud anyway, hurts my ears so can't imagine what it would be like for little ears.

And as for determining what's suitable, I'll probably take the Finnish rating system as a guide for the most part and if I'm unsure then check out the film myself first. The rating system here is more split up, like this:
S - for all ages
7 - for seven year olds and older
12 - twelve year olds and older
16 - you get the idea
18 - Over 18s only (the other ones younger children, up to 2 or 3 years younger than the age limit can go in if accompanied by an adult but not for the K-18, that's strictly adults only in cinemas)
Also nowadays accompanying the age ratings they have symbols to show the reasons for the age rating e.g. violence, sex, scary, drug use. Interestingly enough, I don't see anything about language in their basis for classifications - just goes to show that Finns really don't give a f*ck about swearing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting