Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:32 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLookingToMove View Post
My son had constipation issues starting from 9 month old and doctor told us to put miralax in his milk once a day. Sometimes i would try to ween off the miralax to see if his habit would improve but this would just lead to him being constipated and being in pain when he does goes. This continued until he was around 3.5 yrs old when i thought that's enough miralax and i needed to do something differently.

I think his issue was he just preffered to hold it in instead of going due to laziness, causing it to dry up. So I started making him go every day. He would sit on the john and if nothing comes out, I would tell him I'd use a suppository. When I mention suppositories, he would cry his head off and really try to go. After about a week, he was regular every day.
So you'd threaten your child to go poop? No...won't be any issues there later.....not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 06:03 PM

138 posts, read 379,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
So you'd threaten your child to go poop? No...won't be any issues there later.....not.

I teach my kids that there are consequences in life. I dont see anythong wring with that.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:33 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times
Quote:
I teach my kids that there are consequences in life. I dont see anythong wring with that.
Consequences for a body function that they may not be able to yet control? Use of something you know will terrorize the child?

That isn't a parent giving natural consequences for bad behavior....that is just a parent being a bully.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 PM

138 posts, read 379,088 times
Whatever you think is fine. My teaching my son that holding his poo in for days at a time was not good for him. He goes every day now without the help of miralax and has no constipation issues. This is a forum for people to express their opinions and experiences. No need to label me as a bully. I did what was best for my son.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:57 AM

9 posts, read 6,454 times
Default constipation/witholding

Quote:
My son had constipation issues starting from 9 month old and doctor told us to put miralax in his milk once a day. Sometimes i would try to ween off the miralax to see if his habit would improve but this would just lead to him being constipated and being in pain when he does goes. This continued until he was around 3.5 yrs old when i thought that's enough miralax and i needed to do something differently.

I think his issue was he just preffered to hold it in instead of going due to laziness, causing it to dry up. So I started making him go every day. He would sit on the john and if nothing comes out, I would tell him I'd use a suppository. When I mention suppositories, he would cry his head off and really try to go. After about a week, he was regular every day.
I'm still having to do the same with my 11 year old! She needs the threat of suppositories to make her do a daily doo.
I also recommend: cold food - cultured vegetables - an array of fruit juices.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:01 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,576,552 times
Sometimes due to dehydration coupled with dietary habits - make them drink full glasses of water in front of you, eliminate caffeine or other diuretics from their diet. Cut down on starches, add fiber (spinach, beans, pulpy fruits, etc.).

Old 06-18-2015, 10:54 AM

154 posts, read 259,765 times
Prune juice would be my first go to.
If that doesn't work I agree with everyone else that mentioned Miralax. all of my daughters have dealt with constipation at one point or another and after discussing it with their doctor we tried Miralax. We would use it for a week max and would see a definite change.

As the mother you know best how your child is and what might be the best course of action, often times kids just hold it in and that has nothing to do with their diet.

Best of luck!

Old 06-18-2015, 10:56 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,521,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
The dr can prescribe Miralax.

Do you really think it is about her diet? Sometimes kids have emotional issues re: potty training. If they hold it in long enough, they can really get bound up.

I have found that if you take your kid to a pick your own blueberry field and let them eat all they want, constipation is no problem.
Miralax is polyethylene glycol which draws water into the bowels. It can be dangerous if you take too much.

Maybe he is dehydrated (another reason to avoid Miralax) and isn't getting enough fiber.

Kids usually love watermelon. Let him eat away! Watermelon is great because it has high water content and fiber. Other melons, berries, and fruits are high in fiber too.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:46 PM

419 posts, read 552,956 times
Miralax worked for us along with cutting way back on dairy products and upping the fruits and vegetables. Pear sauce pouches also worked well.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Miralax is very safe and is available in generic as well (cheaper ). You should check first with your doctor before starting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting