U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you respond if your kid asked you to buy them some condoms?
Guy - If it was a son, id buy them for him 6 5.66%
Guy - If it was a daughter, id buy them for her 1 0.94%
Guy - i wouldnt buy it for either 7 6.60%
Guy - wouldnt buy it, and ground them from seeing their bf/gf 2 1.89%
Guy - id make them buy their own 6 5.66%
guy - other 7 6.60%
Gal - If it was a son, id buy them for him 12 11.32%
Gal - If it was a daughter, id buy them for her 13 12.26%
Gal - i wouldnt buy it for either 12 11.32%
Gal - wouldnt buy it, and ground them from seeing their bf/gf 2 1.89%
Gal - id make them buy their own 19 17.92%
gal - other 19 17.92%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,241,149 times

Advertisements

If you had/have a loving trusting relationship with your child, and you tell them they can talk to you about anything, how would you respond when they come up to you at 16 and ask you to buy them some condoms cause they feel the time has come?

Would it change based on whether it was a son or daughter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 10:56 AM

dang, forgot to add the option, buy it for both

oh well, use other for that!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,822 times
This would require a very long discussion with my child at the time of their request, because I am really hoping that I raise them so they are not having sex at 16, but if they do come to me and the result of the conversation leads to them getting the condoms, it would be on their dime. You say you're mature enough to have sex, then be mature enough to take care of your own birth control/std protection. If not, then I guess you're not going out Saturday night.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 AM

667 posts, read 2,097,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
dang, forgot to add the option, buy it for both

oh well, use other for that!
I chose other, bc I WOULD NOT buy my child (girl nor boy) condoms. But I wouldn't ground them from seeing their bf/gf, either.
I would not let them be out & alone for long periods of time.
My older sis & her bf would have their alone time in the driveway or at the house with the bedroom door open.
I have Christian values & will teach my child to save sex for marriage. As played out as that sounds to some & to those who think "well, as long as they are safe...."
And all I can do is pray that my teenager will make the right decision based on what his parents have tought and showed him.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
And all I can do is pray that my teenager will make the right decision based on what his parents have tought and showed him.

Sometimes that's all you can do, right?

Old 12-21-2007, 11:45 AM

well, thats all good, but statistics say,they're going to do it anyway.

and as a former teen, it is VERY ez to get around a parents restrictions if you want to.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:14 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,983,675 times
As a Christian, my job is to teach them the values and how important it is to wait until marriage. But teaching is my only job. I cannot lock them in their room and ground them forever. I cannot stop them from dating. I still want them to be able to trust me and come to me for advice and trying to stop them from having sex will not help me with that, that's something they should be able to decide on their own. I hope that my son will value his body and his relationship with God more then sex, but ultimately it will be his decision and it will be between him and God. On top of that, my husband does not share my "waiting before marriage" idea. Neither of us waited (I became Christian while I was married) and if my son was to ask us whether or not WE waited, I wouldn't be able to lie to him.
If my son comes to me for condoms, I will not hide my dissaproval, but not to the point of disgust. And...what it will mean to me that he either already is having sex OR decided to go ahead with it. If that's his decision, he should understand the responsibility. Buying condoms will be his responsibility, not mine.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:42 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,449,698 times
First we would have a very long talk about it. Then I would have my husband go out and buy them for him. Nothing I say is going to stop him from doing it and forbidding him from seeing the girl isn't going to work either. I guess I would rather him be protected and me not a grandmother at 35.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 PM

3,413 posts, read 7,834,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
First we would have a very long talk about it. Then I would have my husband go out and buy them for him. Nothing I say is going to stop him from doing it and forbidding him from seeing the girl isn't going to work either. I guess I would rather him be protected and me not a grandmother at 35.
I feel the same- I know he's not much younger than I was when I did it the first time. I try not to be an ostrich but on the other hand, I do talk to him about making good choices.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:44 PM

26,889 posts, read 38,133,169 times
I would not let them be out & alone for long periods of time.

They're 16. It doesn't take that long at that age...

My older sis & her bf would have their alone time in the driveway or at the house with the bedroom door open.

Our favorite spot was mom's driveway B4 we got a place of our own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting