U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 06:20 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,361,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is by no means universally true. In many states grandparents are obligated to support their minor child's baby.

For example in South Carolina:Grandparent child support responsibility when their minor children have children | Gregory Forman, Attorney at Law

Additionally, as part of the Welfare Reform act of 1996, grandparents are responsible for contributing to the support of and child of their minor child who is collecting government assistance of any kind.
SupportGuidelines.com | Article: The Child Support Obligations of Grandparents

Apparently it is 13 states right now. "To date, thirteen states have enacted a statute that provides for such grandparent liability for child support."
You need to read those articles very carefully. And he would NOT be the grandparent of this child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Apparently it is 13 states right now. "To date, thirteen states have enacted a statute that provides for such grandparent liability for child support."
I wish we could find the states. When I was growing up, two teens in my neighborhood had a baby. The parents of the father paid child support to the parents of the mother. I remember this vividly. I always thought it fell under parents being financially responsible for their minor children's errors. I don't know if this was the law or an agreement between the two families, but I would have felt the same moral obligation to enter into an agreement even if it wasn't required by law if my son got a girl pregnant. As a result, I impressed upon my children the financial ramifications they would be imposing on the family if they ever had an underage pregnancy.

Quote:
BTW, before we go all gloom and doom on the likelihood of this teen to end up hooking in the gutter as her likely future, remember that her mother was a teen mom who apparently "made it".
I was thinking the same thing earlier but didn't post it because there's not enough information to know how she "made it".

Old 08-06-2014, 06:24 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,171,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
You need to read those articles very carefully. And he would NOT be the grandparent of this child.
I did read them. If teen mom goes on welfare, in one of those 13 states, her mother will be responsible for supporting her and baby. That means she cannot be kicked out of the house. He can chose to leave, but he cannot throw her out of the house her mother lives in/owns with him.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
And he would NOT be the grandparent of this child.
But his wife will be a grandparent. Most married couples have joint financial responsibilities that require both incomes. As a result, the OP will be financially impacted by this one way or another.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:27 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,361,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
But his wife will be a grandparent. Most married couples have joint financial responsibilities that require both incomes. As a result, the OP will be financially impacted by this one way or another.
Not joint responsibility for this. I'm thinking he should just walk away -- I think he had an inkling what some or all of her kids were going to end up in this situation. He probably made a big mistake in marrying her in the first place.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Additionally, if he is acting parentis locus, meaning he contributes to the support of the stepdaughter in the place of her bio dad (which it sounds like he maybe doing) stepparents have been found to be obligated to continue to support those kids even after divorce. Depending on his state, he may also be responsible directly for supporting stepdaughter (and her child) even if they divorce.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Not joint responsibility for this.
In marriage, a real marriage, spouses jointly tackle each other's financial responsibilities regardless of if they are jointly responsible or not.

Quote:
Additionally, if he is acting parentis locus, meaning he contributes to the support of the stepdaughter in the place of her bio dad (which it sounds like he maybe doing) stepparents have been found to be obligated to continue to support those kids even after divorce. Depending on his state, he may also be responsible directly for supporting stepdaughter (and her child) even if they divorce.
No wonder people are afraid of having common decency when having a heart and doing the right thing morally can be considered setting a precedent legally. I guess this falls under alimony and providing for the wife in the standard she was accustom. Since providing for her biological children was a standard of living she was accustom, I can see how some courts might rule that way. That's just nuts.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
In marriage, a real marriage, spouses jointly tackle each other's financial responsibilities regardless of if they are jointly responsible or not.

No wonder people are afraid of having common decency when having a heart and doing the right thing morally can be considered setting a precedent legally. I guess this falls under alimony and providing for the wife in the standard she was accustom. Since providing for her biological children was a standard of living she was accustom, I can see how some courts might rule that way. That's just nuts.
I don't see it as nuts at all.

Remember, this can only happen if the stepdaughter applies for government assistance. Who is more responsible for the support of a minor child, the government? Or her parents, including the stepparent who made a legally binding contract (aka marriage) to take on the financial obligations of the mother, his wife?

Now in all likelihood, if he and his wife divorce, and he was acting parentis locus, than he will just pay one lump child support to mom for any minor kids in the home. Again, I see nothing wrong with this, if anything it underlines the importance of the stepparent role to the family. It IS a commitment, and should not be entered to lightly.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:43 PM

34,544 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I have not read all the posts, but here's my 2 cents. You took your wife for better or worse. Her daughter is her problem, but because you married her, you must share the burden. Its not about you.

You are all in shock now, but try to think of the big picture. In order for you and your wife to make it through this crisis, or other ones to come, you need to cope as best you can and try to think of 10 years from now, when you will just have each other. Will you have been a supportive partner, or will you have wimped out when the going gets rough?

This is just the crisis du jour. There could be others in the future, like an illness or an accident. That's the way life is. Man up and be a pillar of strength.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Quote:
Not joint responsibility for this. I'm thinking he should just walk away -- I think he had an inkling what some or all of her kids were going to end up in this situation. He probably made a big mistake in marrying her in the first place.
I wonder why she married him in the first place....he obviously is not vested in her and the relationship at all. She's better off without someone like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or