U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 08:04 PM

24,472 posts, read 28,750,429 times

Advertisements

Discipline and Depression

"But moms with older children – toddlers and preschoolers in particular – may show all the signs of depression but rarely notice it as such."

"Since depression makes every irritant more intense it can make your tolerance for your child’s behavior extremely low."

Thoughts? Experiences? I totally experienced this. I think I was depressed for 7 years after my first was born. I think the reason it took so long to realize it is because I was functioning. I had to, right? I had kids depending on me. I thought when a person was depressed they stayed in bed all day. Fortunately I did finally realize it addressed the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 06:19 PM

215 posts, read 204,231 times
I agree! Dads too should be included in this. Part of this is a high expectation that parents have to raise a perfectly disciplined child. I think most children turn out fine with just some disciplining. Also with the number of celebrity moms who do it all (thin, dressed up, make 'healthy meals', workout etc.etc..) women try to attain such similar heights and since they do not have the physical or moral support to succeed in it and still raise the perfect child they can easily fall into depression.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM

5,284 posts, read 4,569,699 times
I caught mine earlier. I could not be the mom I wanted to be. I was catching myself near tears in the grocery store for no particular reason. Started taking Prozac when my baby was 2 or so and kept it up all through my next pregnancy and still taking meds after 15 years.

I grew up with a seriously depressed mom. She was emotionally unavailable to me most of the time and angry the rest of the time. She got mad at the dumbest stuff. I thought she hated me. There was no way I was putting my kids through that. I felt my husband was depressed also, but he refused to admit and get help. If he had, we might still be married. He found it easier just to blame me.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM

2,249 posts, read 1,274,091 times
I believe I suffered from it as well. What really helped was coming to C-D though I mostly read posts than ask for help. I learned to set up little goals for my child which occasionally (well more than that) got interrupted by toddler behavior. That's cool. I stopped setting inappropriate expectations. In some ways, life is simpler but the connections and life lessons are deeper.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM

24,472 posts, read 28,750,429 times
I don't think, for me, it was the expectation that I had to raise a perfect child. I think it was the repetitive guiding and disciplining and feeling like I was getting nowhere. Nothing seemed to work. Looking back, I think it worked over time, but in the moment, I felt like the situation was hopeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting