Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Based on the situation below, do you feel the parents are:
Morons because they couldn't find the kid. 10 18.87%
Correct for calling the police, because it's an understandable situation. 43 81.13%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

There is a recent story in the news where a non-vocalizing 3-year-old went missing which lead to a police search. In the story, the 3-year-old went down to the basement, wrapped itself in a blanket under a box and fell asleep. A short time later, the parents began searching for the child, and when not found, called the police. The police did a search and also could not locate the child in the house.

Do you feel it is "reasonable" that a parent was unable to locate the child and call police in this situation?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Yes, If they could not find him, The Police are the right call. They have the search & Rescue resources that can be brought in.

First would be the Responding officers to do a quick search of the Home, and immediate grounds around it,

Second would be to bring in a Police Dog to "Smell" around, Odds are the dog would have found him in the basement.

Then they call out the troops, House to House canvase, area search.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 AM

3,301 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Yes, and I think people would still be complaining either way because nowadays whatever you do in any situation is wrong according to 50% of the general population.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
It doesn't matter if losing the child is understandable or moronic, they did the right thing by calling the police when they couldn't find their child.

I can only relate this to when my cat goes off sleeping somewhere and we can't find her. We get afraid she got out of the house. If the same happened with a child, my fear would be multiplied a million times, and I'd definitely call the police.

I'm just glad that's all that happened and their child is okay.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:52 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Mine was never quiet for that long. ... lol. .. but I think the parents did the right thing with out a doubt....especially since the child was non verbal.

Last edited by ScarletG; 08-07-2014 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Damn auto correct

Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
"Can a child go "missing" in your home? "
Nah.. but that is not the issue here.

THOSE parents could not find THEIR non-verbal child in THEIR home.
Calling the police was their next right step.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I am not familiar with the story you referenced, but I know I was moments away from calling the police when my three year old and his 5 year old friend went "missing" in the house. We had only moved in a couple of months before and there was a creek in the backyard (drowning possibility if they snuck out to it). My husband, 6 year old daughter, the friend's mother and I searched the house for 45 minutes including calling them many, many times. The little stinkers were hiding in plain sight crouched down between a couch and a bookcase. It amazes even years later they remained quiet all of that time and despite the fact that we all had walked within feet of them several times. One of them finally "broke," and I saw his head above the couch arm.

One never knows what a kid will do.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
In the 80s, a child went missing in an area near where I lived. I believe the child was about 4 or maybe 5 years old.

No one had noticed the child wandering in the neighborhood but the house had been searched and so the whole community was frantic. And of course, an abduction was suspected after a day or so.

As it turned out, the father had a metal tool chest of some sort, and the child had managed to crawl in, the lid close and he suffocated in the chest. The chest was right there in the home - maybe on a porch or in an outbuilding - I can't remember the circumstances exactly. Because the chest was comparatively small (not big like a trunk) no one had perceived a child could crawl in it, but with knees to chin (fetal position), yes, a child fit in that tiny space.

There was no suspicion about child abuse and no sign of the child being abused, so the parents/family were never under suspicion of actually "stuffing" the child into the box.

So yes, a child can hide and even die on the premises. A child can drown in only 2 inches of water, for example, and if the pond is surrounded by tall grasses, it could take folks a while to notice a child was missing and/or in distress.

Best to call law enforcement as soon as a parent realizes he/she doesn't know where a child is.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I have heard of kids falling asleep in closets or laundry baskets and "go missing". Sometimes they hide on purpose to be little turds.

Just a few days ago my 9 year old son was angry and ran away from me at a large park. I was furious, but did not call the cops even though I could not find him. His 13 year old sister was able to track him down. It is tempting to call the police when your kid goes missing, in my case my son is 9 so I knew he wasn't in danger like a 4 or 5 year old would be.

Whatever it takes to keep your little people safe.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
I know what story you are talking about. It lead to a police officer shooting and killing a dog in its own backyard while the police were searching for the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting