U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:47 PM

47 posts, read 45,514 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the answers. Wow some of you so critical of me and you don't even know me, accusing me of not doing anything. My job is out of town. There are no jobs in the small town we live in. I have to work. I also help when I'm home.
I was just saying practices take all week and this and that activity ,leaving no time to do anything outside sports.
Where did you get the idea I'm shrinking my families activities so they can't stay home 24/7 and come home to a hot meal????
I was taught if you have nothing nice to say dont say it.

Thanks for answers though.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:12 PM

21,142 posts, read 22,123,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostritch View Post
How much is too much in extra curricular activities?

I work out of town, and my wife has football practice for our sons Mom-thursday. 6-8 pm. So right after work its home to get kids ready and take them for practice. By the time they get home, shes too tired to make a proper meal, so its boxed dinners.
Friday is extra curricular for our daughter 6-8 pm. Offcourse by the time parents talk and leave its around 830 pm.

At what point did we wake up and think we need to over do this extra curricular activities?

When are parents getting rest , if after work they are shuttling kids to this and that?

Opinions!!!
I am confused. You have a wife who is busy with too many extra curricular activities with you children and a girlfriend whose children include a son who is obese and does nothing but play video games?

Married folks advice. Im confused

Maybe you need to slow down and participate in your family more.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 PM

27,266 posts, read 15,053,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostritch View Post
How much is too much in extra curricular activities?

I work out of town, and my wife has football practice for our sons Mom-thursday. 6-8 pm. So right after work its home to get kids ready and take them for practice. By the time they get home, shes too tired to make a proper meal, so its boxed dinners.
Friday is extra curricular for our daughter 6-8 pm. Offcourse by the time parents talk and leave its around 830 pm.

At what point did we wake up and think we need to over do this extra curricular activities?

When are parents getting rest , if after work they are shuttling kids to this and that?

Opinions!!!
You know what? I get it.

Welcome to modern day parenting - where we spent half our life in a car shuttling junior to his practice 6 days a week, 45 minutes away. We're EXHAUSTED but we have to do it because all the other parents are doing it and if we don't . . . our kid will fall behind, blah blah blah.

That's just the way it is now. My son was a competive swimmer (INSANE practice schedule) and I was a full-time, working single Mom. Although I do think our sports obessions have gotten out of hand; I always liked it that my son kept busy - hopefully too busy for drugs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714;35995953[B
]I think that coaches have lost their minds a little bit. Football has always been a life eater but now soccer and lacrosse are having three hour practices everyday too. And if you miss a single practice, or even part of one, you're benched.[/b]

Team sports are such a great activity for kids, but the way they are run around here, they are the only thing a kid can do. They can't even take a day off if they have a big exam, or god forbid another activity they want to do. One of my students was offered a chance to go out on one of the big research vessels, something that almost never happens for a minor. He would have been gone for four days. His soccer coach told him if he left, he'd be off the team despite the fact the season hasn't started, and he would only miss two practices. So another student went.

It's a shame there aren't rec league type sports for high school kids, who want to go without the crushing level of commitment demanded by the school teams. Might be easier on parents as well.
^^^^ This right here.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:26 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,363,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I am confused. You have a wife who is busy with too many extra curricular activities with you children and a girlfriend whose children include a son who is obese and does nothing but play video games?

O M G thanks for posting that link.

12,976 posts, read 11,796,877 times
Quote:

Hmmmmm.........so either the OP has a wife and kids, plus a girlfriends with kids on the side, or maybe none of the above. Curious.

27,266 posts, read 15,053,470 times
Quote:

Oh. Now I see.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:49 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
Quote:

Good catch. It seems he isn't married but recently move in with this woman who has children. He's whining about not getting enough relationship attention. Now he wants to change these children's lives by taking them out of sports and activities and making them play board games with him when he's not even their father. Well, not even their stepfather too. Geeze, he only moved in recently, and he wants to turn their lives upside down. Not cool. I hope he kept his apartment because it's pretty clear the girlfriend doesn't intend to change her children's lives. And she shouldn't.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 PM

20,428 posts, read 26,560,006 times
I'm beginning to think that nothing is really real in this forum. Too many first-time posters with...strange problems.

Hopes, the kids in the other thread this guy made don't do sports:

Quote:
Play ball? He does nothing but play vid games. Doesn't want to do anything. Lazy lazy lazy.
Unless I sit and play vid games with him. He is the only one obese. Doesn't want to eat right. Eats junk food 24/7.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:09 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,018,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Hopes, the kids in the other thread this guy made don't do sports:
With the OP' attitude, I can imagine he doesn't consider football practice doing something. All he sees is playing video games and not doing chores when he is home.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:47 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,318,961 times
Marching band rehearsal was Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday from 4pm to 7:30pm. Friday night football games until 11pm and Saturday all days from 8am to 8pm. It was gruesome! And on Wednesdays, those on leadership had to help the weaker marchers. I graduated from high school in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or