Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,989,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So where is her Father during all of this?
Oh, he is able to get the sleep he needs right?
Let him deal with her since he did participate in her creation he can participate in her upbringing as well.
I just rep'd you on this! My feeling is why does he get to sleep undisturbed....fine he works 6 nights a week, but if the OP doesn't get help or go to bed when her child does, she will suffer from exhaustion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 05:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,504,600 times
It would be nice to have one day a week to sleep in; but it's really not necessary.

This, too, shall pass as the child gets a bit older; she can turn on the television and watch cartoons for a while. My son was a horrible sleeper; often up before the sun. But this served him well later in life and especially with his chosen sport - swimming. Everything in swimming takes place at o'dark thirty.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:21 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,313,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I taught my early riser son very young to go turn on cartoons and not bother mommy and daddy. It takes a few times but it's worth it!
So did I, only it was "here's some blocks, stack 'em." However, coming out of their room and into mine until I gave my permission for it was not an option, unless they were unusual children in that they liked being spanked. They had a bathroom right there well away from us, that was all that allowed, there was a hall leading from that leading to the living room so they were taught to not go beyond that barrier I erected to separate "their world" from the rest. They always complied, because they knew I'd tear their a-double-s up if they did otherwise.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I just rep'd you on this! My feeling is why does he get to sleep undisturbed....fine he works 6 nights a week, but if the OP doesn't get help or go to bed when her child does, she will suffer from exhaustion.
Maybe he is the breadwinner and needs the sleep.

It is 0630. Not 3am. If the kid goes to bed at 8, wtf is the op doing? She can sleep from 10p to 6a and get 8 hours!
That is more than the average American.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,728,297 times
My son is the same. He woke up 5:30 every morning like clockwork. Finally by three he would wake up, turn on the television and watch for a bit while I slept. This year he has just started to sleep in until 7:30. He is 14.

I think your husband needs to help out. Yes he works nights, but you work 24/7. Ask him for help.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,466,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My daughter who's 4 is determined to kill me.. She wakes up every day at 6:15-6:30. My husband works nights, 6 days a week, so he sleeps in during the day and his one day off he can't let me sleep in cause he worked the night before. I NEVER get a day to sleep in or catch up, and since he's not home I'm also up and down at night if she needs potty, is sick and so on.

I feel like that's too early for a kid her age to wake up. Her normal bedtime is around 7:30-8 depending on how long it takes us to brush teeth, read etc. I've gotten to the point where I kept her up till 9:30 the other night just hoping for her to sleep in till 7:30 or 8 am... nothing still up at same time.. I can't have coffee because I have a heart condition so I'm seriously dragging and I don't know how to get her to stop. I've asked her to stay in bed till the sun at least comes up, and I can hear her in there jumping around, talking etc so I'm up anyways. I feel so burnt dealing with it all night alone, then her hanging on me all day for 13 hours too. Any suggestions on this? I'm feel like I've got a newborn with the hours she has me going.
Hmmm, my 8 year old son wakes up every morning between 5:30 and 6:30. I can count on my one hand the times he slept any longer. I know how you feel too sense my husband also works nights and gets home at 6 am.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,225,743 times
I agree with everyone who said teach them to get up and entertain themselves. I'm a complete non-morning person, and when my son went from getting up at 8 to 6:30 I quickly got him used to playing on his own until we get up. As soon as it was safe to let him be on his own, around three and a half. He'd walk in and say hi so we knew he was up, and then I'd snooze for a bit more. To avoid him sitting in front of the tv for too long, we actually told him he can watch tv at X time, IF he plays nicely and quietly until then. It's actually been great to get him to play with his toys and find ways to amuse himself - find toys he hasn't played in for a long time, read books, etc. At four they're more than capable of doing that and can understand that mommy needs more sleep.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:38 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,837,540 times
My son wakes up at 7am no matter what (hes use to it for school though)
My daughters wake up between 9 and 11am.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,966,600 times
I find the two who state that the father should give up his sleep to give the mother a break almost amusing... if the whole thing wasn't so moronic. Night shift is a hard shift to work to begin with, without being unable to sleep enough to work said hours. Perhaps you should try it sometime, especially 6 days a week. Not nearly as easy as it sounds, especially being most night shift jobs are some sort of factory job. To the OP, either learn to really love coffee, or go to bed earlier until your little one can be up for a little while on their own.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:26 AM

731 posts, read 934,804 times
My kids had a "Teach me Time" clock that I set to glow green at 7am. Most 4 year olds can't tell time, but they can follow directions. The rule, for us, was that she could get out of bed and wake me up when the clock was green. If she did it before then, she couldn't have her chocolate milk for the day. It took less than 2 weeks of her testing the program and it was set in stone. She was allowed to play in her room, look at books, etc. It was fantastic! For the record, I worked until 9pm and she liked to get up about 5:30am.

The real beauty of it all is that she ended up resetting her body clock to wake up later.

She's now 8 and gets up between 6:30 and 7am. However, she now makes her own breakfast and packs most of her and her sister's lunch boxes before I even get up in the morning. Also, tv goes off as soon as I come downstairs, so there is no rush to get me up. It will eventually work in your favor. :-)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting