Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,261,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
a public school has a 6 a.m. class? Not a sport practice but an academic class? I find that hard to believe. I wouldn't put up with that for one second. Here the high schools start at something like 8:30. I think many high schools start later than the middle schools because of using the same buses and bus drivers.
Yes. It's an academic elective for which he receives additional credit, but it is not required for graduation. The high school has many early morning sports practices, too. It's not unusual for students and staff to be on campus at 5:00 a.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 04:19 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,187,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
a public school has a 6 a.m. class? Not a sport practice but an academic class? I find that hard to believe. I wouldn't put up with that for one second. Here the high schools start at something like 8:30. I think many high schools start later than the middle schools because of using the same buses and bus drivers.
Our high school has what is called "zero hour" and those classes start at 6:15. They are usually core classes such as English, history, and math. Regular classes start at 7:45. Of course, the 6:15 classes are not required, but students can take them so that they can fit additional electives such a art and music into their schedules throughout the day.

My daughter's marching band practice started at 5:45, so until she was able to drive, I did not sleep in past about 4:30 on most weekdays.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,758,557 times
Our high schools start at 7:15 am. I can't imagine having a 6 am class.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,261,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
Our high school has what is called "zero hour" and those classes start at 6:15. They are usually core classes such as English, history, and math. Regular classes start at 7:45. Of course, the 6:15 classes are not required, but students can take them so that they can fit additional electives such a art and music into their schedules throughout the day.

My daughter's marching band practice started at 5:45, so until she was able to drive, I did not sleep in past about 4:30 on most weekdays.

We call it zero hour here, too. It's a ridiculous time to start the school day, I agree, but I suppose it's no less crazy than the sports practices happening at the same time, and there seem to be plenty of families willing to get up in the wee hours for that.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,337,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
We call it zero hour here, too. It's a ridiculous time to start the school day, I agree, but I suppose it's no less crazy than the sports practices happening at the same time, and there seem to be plenty of families willing to get up in the wee hours for that.
My son took zero hour several semesters. He is a natural morning person and found he was more focused before lunch than after lunch so given the choice between an early morning class and a 2 pm. class, the early morning tended to win if it was offered. Same with sport practices - during the winter spring sports occasionally had optional indoor preseason practices beginning at 5:30 or so.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,783,841 times
Wow- my last experience with high schoolers was in 02 and I remember early marching band and sports but not academic classes. My girls are now in middle school. Hope they aren't involved in 6 a.m. classes in high school. But you do what you have to do.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,383,152 times
Seeing this makes me glad I'm out of high school, and in college where you can set your own hours, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting