U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 7,973 times

Advertisements

My son who turned 18 on July 26 says he is going to take me to court because I took his computer because he didn't come home at all one night.
When he took his computer to a friends house. He deleted all the files and reinstall the programs to get around our password.
How would you handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,009,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasnow View Post
My son who turned 18 on July 26 says he is going to take me to court because I took his computer because he didn't come home at all one night.
When he took his computer to a friends house. He deleted all the files and reinstall the programs to get around our password.
Sounds like he has no respect for your rules. Does he go to school, does he have a job, does he pay rent? He has already found a work around for your first punishment. Only advice I can give you is, don't make any threats unless you can follow through.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:57 PM

He just recently got a job and he will start college on the 20 of August.
He doesn't pay rent.
He doesn't even have his license so his Dad takes him to work.
He has ODD which means he doesn't like rules.
However, in the real world everyone has rules.
I told him to call the police and take me to court. However, I am not giving the items back until I want to give them back.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:03 PM

9,002 posts, read 16,128,157 times
He on Med's for his ODD?

Is he taking them?

Old 08-09-2014, 06:08 PM

No med's.
Never have taken any for ODD.

He says he wants a normal house.
I asked him what is a normal house?
He said, "A house without rules."
I said, "That will not be this house!"

Old 08-09-2014, 06:10 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,818,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasnow View Post
Honestly....at 18 if you are still taking things away and using passwords....it's too late.

Did you buy him the computer and give it as a gift? Did he buy it himself? When was the last time you guys had a honest talk about rules and expectations....and setting reasonable rules for both sides. Because honestly.....at 18 they should be able to have much more freedom than they did at 16.

I don't think you have to worry about court....he'd be laughed at by the way.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:19 PM

We was going to lift the passwords.
However, he did it before we could.
He has been in trouble at school over computers and has been on sites that he shouldn't be on.
I have always told him if I can trust you with little things I will trust you with big things.
However, I also said if I can't trust you with little things I can't trust you with big things.

I think I was just a little bit upset with him telling me he wanted his stuff tonight and he was going to call the police.
I said go right ahead.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:33 PM

639 posts, read 1,452,232 times
I think you're handling it just fine. Unfortunately, this is how many 18 year olds act. Most colleges have computers and printers available for students to use so he'll be fine without a computer for a while.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:37 PM

I know it is how most 18 years old act.
I have a 26 and a 24.
When my oldest son turned 18 he got stupid.
So I kicked him out. I packed his things and had them waiting on him when he decided to come back home.
He stayed away for three days and came back home and said I will follow your rules.
That son finish college and went into the Army reserves and is a MP.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:50 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,904,498 times
Many, many, many teenagers, especially boys, have the fantasy that being an adult means not having to follow any rules.

And he's not going to believe it when you tell him otherwise. He will need some life experience on his own -- renting an apartment and not getting his deposit back because he didn't clean the place, having a gf dump him because he was unkind, etc.

How many times per week does he see a therapist for his ODD? Does he enjoy the therapy? Has he made a lot of progress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or