U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:48 PM

15,797 posts, read 13,225,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
I am wondering if there are any places in the US left where kids play outside unsupervised, and its the norm. So I'm wondering where you live and if kids playing outside in groups or with a friend is the norm, safe, thought as a positive or negative or potentially illegal? At what age do kids get that freedom?

Growing up, we started playing outside with siblings and peers, without direct supervision, at 4 or 5. And by 7 we were given massive freedom, as long as we were home by dinner (how we managed to know when that was, no idea! We didn't wear watches). By 11 we could play outside at night time so long as we were home by bedtime. We lived rurally, and then in apartments. I am 36 so this wasn't like 70 years ago.

Now we live in the city, houston. But our neighborhood is more like a suburb. No kids play outside here. They used to but that group of kids are teens now and it seems no one has since then. I'm sure its neighborhood dependent, but I feel like I never see kids playing outside without a parent hovering. My kids (9 and 7.5) play in our front yard and drive way, and ride their scooters on the sidewalk up and down the block. But thats it. And I have gotten flack for allowing it. I'm always within ear shot, and I check on them. They also know about safety. So....seriously. My son is nervous because he looks young for his age and had a man stop his car and yell at him to go home.

So what about where you live? We want to move out of houston and having more outdoor play for the kids is near the top of our list.
I live in the burbs. Kids start running around town unsupervised in the middle school years, somewhere between 10-12.

I am only a little older than you, and we were not allowed to run around unsupervised at 4 or 5. I cannot imagine a 4 year old being allowed to play without supervision, even in the front yard unless the siblings are a LOT older, like the pre-teen or older set. Even when we were allowed out, we had to be at someone's home, if we were out after dark. This notion of children barely out of diapers running wild as the norm just a few years ago is not something I either experienced personally, or know anyone who did, well, besides on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
A couple neighbors gave me a guilt trip about me being inside when they were out. And some friends have flipped out that its highly unsafe. (I got flack for letting my 7 year old go to the restroom herself in a restaurant!!!). I live in a safe upper middle class neighborhood off main roads.
Really? Actually "flipped out"? I think we have some exaggeration going on.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:54 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,187,187 times
In my experience, yes, but not as often/frequently as they used to. Modern day kids are WAY overscheduled and quite frankly, many don't have the TIME. But yes, my kids play outside (although not every day). So do a lot of other kids.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:56 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,187,187 times
I do think 4 and 5 year olds playing unsupervised is dangerous. I grew up in the 70s and yes, my mom let us roam around unsupervised at that age. I remember among other things, stepping on glass and cutting my feet (several times), being stung by fire ants, sitting in concrete drainage ditches WHILE THERE WAS WATER RUSHING THROUGH, and going missing once when I wandered to a neighbor's house and didn't tell anyone where I was.

Kids under age 8 need supervision.

ETA we used to shoplift candy from the local 7-11. I was only 5 and my sister was 7.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:57 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,837,187 times
Quote:
I am wondering if there are any places in the US left where kids play outside unsupervised, and its the norm. So I'm wondering where you live and if kids playing outside in groups or with a friend is the norm, safe, thought as a positive or negative or potentially illegal? At what age do kids get that freedom?

Growing up, we started playing outside with siblings and peers, without direct supervision, at 4 or 5. And by 7 we were given massive freedom, as long as we were home by dinner (how we managed to know when that was, no idea! We didn't wear watches). By 11 we could play outside at night time so long as we were home by bedtime. We lived rurally, and then in apartments. I am 36 so this wasn't like 70 years ago.

Now we live in the city, houston. But our neighborhood is more like a suburb. No kids play outside here. They used to but that group of kids are teens now and it seems no one has since then. I'm sure its neighborhood dependent, but I feel like I never see kids playing outside without a parent hovering. My kids (9 and 7.5) play in our front yard and drive way, and ride their scooters on the sidewalk up and down the block. But thats it. And I have gotten flack for allowing it. I'm always within ear shot, and I check on them. They also know about safety. So....seriously. My son is nervous because he looks young for his age and had a man stop his car and yell at him to go home.

So what about where you live? We want to move out of houston and having more outdoor play for the kids is near the top of our list.
Of course kids play outside. I bet they do in Houston as well.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:59 PM

421 posts, read 450,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Really? Actually "flipped out"? I think we have some exaggeration going on.
She shouted at me about how I dont understand how safe it is, how my daughter would be kidnapped and she got tears in her eyes. And then she went on a tiraid on facebook. She has an 8 year old and she still cuts grapes and measures her water intake...so...but still there were others who seemed to think it was terrible too.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:01 PM

421 posts, read 450,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I do think 4 and 5 year olds playing unsupervised is dangerous. I grew up in the 70s and yes, my mom let us roam around unsupervised at that age. I remember among other things, stepping on glass and cutting my feet (several times), being stung by fire ants, sitting in concrete drainage ditches WHILE THERE WAS WATER RUSHING THROUGH, and going missing once when I wandered to a neighbor's house and didn't tell anyone where I was.

ETA we used to shoplift candy from the local 7-11. I was only 5 and my sister was 7.
I agree, its too young. But there wasn't the fear mongering back then to make parents crap themselves every time their child was out of sight. When I was 7 I was nearly kidnapped, police were called, drove me home and told off my mom for letting me roam (at the time we lived in a city in a bad neighborhood). So I worry alot, but I also try to keep it all in perspective.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:02 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,244,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post

I think its just a matter of setting limits. My 3 year old is allowed out unsupervised but she is limited to our communal garden, the next communal garden and the park across the road (but she has to ask me to walk her over as she's not allowed to cross the road by herself. The other little ones nearby seem to have the same limits except for the road crossing one.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I think its just a matter of setting limits. My 3 year old is allowed out unsupervised but she is limited to our communal garden, the next communal garden and the park across the road (but she has to ask me to walk her over as she's not allowed to cross the road by herself. The other little ones nearby seem to have the same limits except for the road crossing one.
And there is literally no supervision? Just a bunch of toddlers running around?

Old 08-10-2014, 05:15 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,244,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And there is literally no supervision? Just a bunch of toddlers running around?
There's often older kids out too who keep an eye on the younger ones (there's only 4 young ones). I pop out and check every 10 minutes or so because I'm not quite as comfortable as the other parents are because I'm not used to this but no other parents seem to be out unless its with babies or outsiders at the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or