Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:59 PM

421 posts, read 553,471 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if there are any places in the US left where kids play outside unsupervised, and its the norm. So I'm wondering where you live and if kids playing outside in groups or with a friend is the norm, safe, thought as a positive or negative or potentially illegal? At what age do kids get that freedom?

Growing up, we started playing outside with siblings and peers, without direct supervision, at 4 or 5. And by 7 we were given massive freedom, as long as we were home by dinner (how we managed to know when that was, no idea! We didn't wear watches). By 11 we could play outside at night time so long as we were home by bedtime. We lived rurally, and then in apartments. I am 36 so this wasn't like 70 years ago.

Now we live in the city, houston. But our neighborhood is more like a suburb. No kids play outside here. They used to but that group of kids are teens now and it seems no one has since then. I'm sure its neighborhood dependent, but I feel like I never see kids playing outside without a parent hovering. My kids (9 and 7.5) play in our front yard and drive way, and ride their scooters on the sidewalk up and down the block. But thats it. And I have gotten flack for allowing it. I'm always within ear shot, and I check on them. They also know about safety. So....seriously. My son is nervous because he looks young for his age and had a man stop his car and yell at him to go home.

So what about where you live? We want to move out of houston and having more outdoor play for the kids is near the top of our list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:04 PM

22,230 posts, read 47,150,952 times
"Do kids play outside where you live?"

Every day.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,330,679 times
I'd guess in most true suburbs, kids play outside. They have wherever we've lived. As I sit here at the computer, I can hear kids in my neighborhood - on scooters, skateboards or bikes, shooting hoops...There is driveway art enough to indicate that several homes have kids outside with sidewalk chalk...we also have a neighborhood pool so certainly kids are there, and a number of neighbors have trampolines and I can hear kids playing on them as well. I rarely see parents hovering. I do see parents hanging out, either actually interacting with their children () or socializing with other parents or doing yardwork while kids play in the front yard, but rarely "hovering". My kids are grown and gone but they used to play outside all the time. They rode their bikes all over the neighborhood. Usually in groups, which I felt was safe. When I walk my dogs in the mornings, I often see kids biking or scootering either alone or with other kids. I don't think it's nearly as rare as the media likes everyone to believe.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
Kids in our Pearland subdivision play outside quite frequently. The little ones though usually have a mom out - 3 to 5 year olds are generally supervised. By 7 or 8, many are biking to the neighborhood park with friends.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
I am wondering if there are any places in the US left where kids play outside unsupervised, and its the norm. So I'm wondering where you live and if kids playing outside in groups or with a friend is the norm, safe, thought as a positive or negative or potentially illegal? At what age do kids get that freedom?

Growing up, we started playing outside with siblings and peers, without direct supervision, at 4 or 5. And by 7 we were given massive freedom, as long as we were home by dinner (how we managed to know when that was, no idea! We didn't wear watches). By 11 we could play outside at night time so long as we were home by bedtime. We lived rurally, and then in apartments. I am 36 so this wasn't like 70 years ago.

Now we live in the city, houston. But our neighborhood is more like a suburb. No kids play outside here. They used to but that group of kids are teens now and it seems no one has since then. I'm sure its neighborhood dependent, but I feel like I never see kids playing outside without a parent hovering. My kids (9 and 7.5) play in our front yard and drive way, and ride their scooters on the sidewalk up and down the block. But thats it. And I have gotten flack for allowing it. I'm always within ear shot, and I check on them. They also know about safety. So....seriously. My son is nervous because he looks young for his age and had a man stop his car and yell at him to go home.

So what about where you live? We want to move out of houston and having more outdoor play for the kids is near the top of our list.
Kids play outside here.

Who gives you flack for letting your own kids play outside??

Old 08-10-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Kids in our Pearland subdivision play outside quite frequently. The little ones though usually have a mom out - 3 to 5 year olds are generally supervised. By 7 or 8, many are biking to the neighborhood park with friends.
Yeah I imagined it would be more likely in the burbs of houston. We live near the inner loop but not in it. It still looks more like a burn then most cities.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Kids play outside here.

You haven't read the recent news stories posted on this topic?

Mom Charged With Felony For Letting Son Walk To Park Alone | The Daily Caller

Tammy Cooper, Texas Mom, Arrested For Letting Kids Play Outside Unsupervised (VIDEO)

Mom Arrested for Letting Daughter Play Outside -- NYMag

Old 08-10-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Kids play outside here.

A couple neighbors gave me a guilt trip about me being inside when they were out. And some friends have flipped out that its highly unsafe. (I got flack for letting my 7 year old go to the restroom herself in a restaurant!!!). I live in a safe upper middle class neighborhood off main roads.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
I live in the Pittsburgh suburbs, and playing outside unsupervised at young age is the norm here still today.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:23 PM

Yeah, that's been on my mind too. I'm less worried about pedophiles then I am about nosey neighbors. I think part of my concerns is p, even after living her 11 years, I don't really know many neighbors. Its a neighborhood most people keep to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting