Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:53 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
He doesnt have to tell HER where he works, he has to report that to child support. She doesnt have to take him to court, she goes to the CSEA and files there and they find him.

Sounds like she never tried and now wants a big check.
You mean like when April 15 rolls around and you find that you're due a big refund, but instead of making the government send you a big check you just tell them to keep the money, because after all you made it through the year without it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You mean like when April 15 rolls around and you find that you're due a big refund, but instead of making the government send you a big check you just tell them to keep the money, because after all you made it through the year without it?
That is priceless!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:22 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Why? Mom supported them with her money and no help while they were under 18.....they don't get a vote on if the bio father has to make good on his obligations.
Because it would be more important to me to do what is best for the children. If they had a relationship with their dad and if I knew collecting the money NOW could seriously interfere with his life, which in turn would seriously interfere with the children's happiness, I wouldn't go there without having a discussion first with the kids. Money is not always worth it. Holding onto grudges is not always worth it. I'd think about what lessons the children might learn through my decision.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Because it would be more important to me to do what is best for the children. If they had a relationship with their dad and if I knew collecting the money NOW could seriously interfere with his life, which in turn would seriously interfere with the children's happiness, I wouldn't go there without having a discussion first with the kids. Money is not always worth it. Holding onto grudges is not always worth it. I'd think about what lessons the children might learn through my decision.
Hmmm, biological dad didn't pay child support for ten years, part of that time Mom couldn't even find out where he lived and when she could he only took jobs where he was paid illegally so that he did not have to pay child support.

Do you really think that Dad had any interest in his children or kept up with visitation during that ten year period? I wonder what lessons his children learned from his decision not to pay court ordered child support and lie & cheat the government as well as them?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hmmm, biological dad didn't pay child support for ten years, part of that time Mom couldn't even find out where he lived and when she could he only took jobs where he was paid illegally so that he did not have to pay child support.

Do you really think that Dad had any interest in his children or kept up with visitation during that ten year period? I wonder what lessons his children learned from his decision not to pay court ordered child support and lie & cheat the government as well as them?
I thought I recall reading that the father now has a relationship with the children and has changed for the better but maybe I'm confusing this soap opera with another thread!

Old 08-12-2014, 10:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There are more important things in life than money. I can understand wanting to put him behind her and get on with her life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If she can afford to do that, and most single moms can't.
Obviously she feels she can afford it since she has decided to let him stop paying child support since the children are now adults. Also, she's not a single mother because she remarried.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Obviously she feels she can afford it since she has decided to let him stop paying child support since the children are now adults. Also, she's not a single mother because she remarried.
She did not decide to let him stop paying child support. He did not pay support for many years and owes arrears. He has asked her to agree to waive the past due support. She asked me what I thought. I told her I think she is crazy to even consider waiving support that is due to her.

Her kids are over 18 now and she did remarry (after her kids were grown). That doesn't change the fact that he owes her the money.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I thought I recall reading that the father now has a relationship with the children and has changed for the better but maybe I'm confusing this soap opera with another thread!
Her ex saw the kids a few times a year after they split and he skirted paying child support. What kind of father does that?

Old 08-13-2014, 04:44 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
I wouldn't worry too much child support payments making a big difference on the FAFSA as I doubt he will be sticking with this job for long. Anyone who has skipped out on supporting his kids for a decade under the impression that once they are 18 he is home free is likely to do it again.

Plus, as I recall, FAFSA application had to include the income of both parents. So what was added to hers would be deducted from his and it's a wash.

If she waives the back child support, she is selling not only herself but her children short. Just because they are 18 does not mean they don't need financial help from time to time. College, car repairs, cell phone bills, weddings... Our kids are all in their twenties and between graduate school and entry level jobs and getting married... you get the picture.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
College is pricey!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting