Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc 701 View Post
Of course discretion should be used, but most normal parents should be able to change a diaper, say for example in a restaurant booth, without anybody adjoining barely noticing, if at all. I suspect anybody complaining about somebody near them changing a diaper is being a little too nosy or just doesn't care for kids. It's actually appauling to think that a grown man or woman would object to somebaody changing a diaper near them, how sick. Actually all of the places you listed, one could easily change a baby's diaper without offending anybody near them, of course I can't imagine a scenario where any normal parent would have an infant in a movie theatre, or a ride at disneyland, but the other places you mentioned, um ....yeah
And why would anyone need to do it there as opposed to taking the child either to a restroom with a changing station, or to their car? There is just no reason to disturb other diners or expose the restaurant to unsanitary conditions for no reason. I'd guess if they were stuck in the restaurant, in the middle of a blizzard or other weather condition which precluded them leaving momentarily and the restrooms were out of order, I could possibly see it. Other than that? I just don't see a good reason to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 PM

421 posts, read 556,408 times
You know I was thinking the post about the grandma abusing and photographing their granddaughter (see the post about the roasting pan and duct tape) was going to raise up all these parents in extreme anger and disgust. I was surprised it didn't. It gets a half hearted "crazy lady" for full on abusing a baby as opposed to the full on lynch mob after this woman and anyone who defends her (even if that defense is "it wasn't right but cut her some slack").

So when that post got a tiny fraction of the viciousness of this post, I was confused. But it hit me. People are so outraged because they are guilty too. Maybe they never changed a diaper in a restaurant (or maybe they did and don't remember or deny it). But every parent has been in a pinch and made a less then ideal decision. Be it mine to change my kids diarrhea diaper on two chairs in a docs office, or throwing a stinky diaper away in a public place, or littering or even taking a mildly sick kid in public only to find out they are mega sick.

We all, parents and full time care givers, have been in a situation where we make a less then ideal choice in a less then ideal circumstance. But so few people want to own that, so they attack others who have.

To me its an lol situation because I see it very clearly. The more mad you are, the more guilty you are.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
I've seen someone do this. The restaurant was some middle of nowhere place. I went and used the bathroom. I dry heaved. I suddenly understood why the parents had done it. It was bad. REAL bad.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:52 PM

11 posts, read 11,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
You know I was thinking the post about the grandma abusing and photographing their granddaughter (see the post about the roasting pan and duct tape) was going to raise up all these parents in extreme anger and disgust. I was surprised it didn't. It gets a half hearted "crazy lady" for full on abusing a baby as opposed to the full on lynch mob after this woman and anyone who defends her (even if that defense is "it wasn't right but cut her some slack").

So when that post got a tiny fraction of the viciousness of this post, I was confused. But it hit me. People are so outraged because they are guilty too. Maybe they never changed a diaper in a restaurant (or maybe they did and don't remember or deny it). But every parent has been in a pinch and made a less then ideal decision. Be it mine to change my kids diarrhea diaper on two chairs in a docs office, or throwing a stinky diaper away in a public place, or littering or even taking a mildly sick kid in public only to find out they are mega sick.

We all, parents and full time care givers, have been in a situation where we make a less then ideal choice in a less then ideal circumstance. But so few people want to own that, so they attack others who have.

To me its an lol situation because I see it very clearly. The more mad you are, the more guilty you are.
Thank you, if there is another option (and no I'm not talking about those nasty changers in the bathrooms) , then by all means use it, but if someone needs to change their kid next to you, show some respect for their situation!! The world doesn't revolve around you, it's human nature to take care of your child wherever that need arises! People's petty xenophobia against breeders is probably one of the most disgusting traits of the younger generation of hipster morons!!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc 701 View Post
Thank you, if there is another option (and no I'm not talking about those nasty changers in the bathrooms) , then by all means use it, but if someone needs to change their kid next to you, show some respect for their situation!! The world doesn't revolve around you, it's human nature to take care of your child wherever that need arises! People's petty xenophobia against breeders is probably one of the most disgusting traits of the younger generation of hipster morons!!
I'm with you. I have incredible empathy for other parents and if I see on struggling they will at least get a sympathetic glance. Sometimes I offer to help out. This woman was likely really stressed, trying to entertain and feed her kids. In texas its HOT. To take your baby to change them outside in the car is a huge undertaking, plus I could imagine her other kids making a fuss. Plus "oh god I hope no one clears the pizzas, I cant leave the other ones in here and staff might clear it" or anything she was struggling with at the time. Its true, our ow nap babies poop just isnt as gross after the third baby.

Its just not a lynch mob situation.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,320 times
Gross. And personally, (and I may get flamed for this but I was raised by a VERY backwards, moral grandmother) changing any baby out in the open (in restaurant booths, on a filthy park bench in the zoo) is gross. I mean, you can't do it behind closed doors. Would I want to be changed out in public? Um no. And I guess I have a super baby bc I've always been able to make it someplace where I could change her in private..

Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 PM

Btw, at least 6 times I have been in a busy restaurant and had to take my kids to the potty or car and have had staff clear our uneaten food. This was after I told a service person I would be back

Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Gross. And personally, (and I may get flamed for this but I was raised by a VERY backwards, moral grandmother) changing any baby out in the open (in restaurant booths, on a filthy park bench in the zoo) is gross. I mean, you can't do it behind closed doors. Would I want to be changed out in public? Um no. And I guess I have a super baby bc I've always been able to make it someplace where I could change her in private..
How many do you have? Sounds like one. That parenting training wheels. Try 3.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:08 PM

Also, 4 mn the old babies dont care where hey are changed. ,ost would rather be naked 24/7' so long as its warm

Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,320 times
2..or maybe I just don't have big poopers lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting