U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 AM

16,496 posts, read 15,947,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc 701 View Post
People should be able to change diapers anywhere diapers need to be changed!! Parenting is a full time job, and a baby's needs trumps people's petty objections to human nature. If you don't like kids, or being around kids frequent adult only establishments, problem solved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Whoa...so it is A-OK with you if someone changes their baby's smelly diaper on the seat next to you:

On an airplane?

On a bus?

On the subway?

On a ride at Disneyland?

In a movie theater?

In a dentist's waiting room?

Seriously...anywhere?

As a parent, I know that babies have dirty diapers every place where babies go. And if you say that parents should be able to change their baby's diaper wherever they are and the diaper needs to be changed than I am sure that you would not object if someone changed their baby's dirty diaper when they were sitting next to you...

At your daughter's wedding ceremony.

At high school foot ball game.

In the waiting room at your dentist's office.

In your place of business.

During your father's funeral service.

While you were eating dinner at a restaurant.

Come on, be serious.

I have taken a baby to restaurants, to sporting events, to businesses, to doctors & dentists waiting rooms and to weddings and funerals and I have never even once considered changing a diaper (wet or dirty) in front of other people at those places.

But, if you think that it is OK to change a baby's dirty diaper whenever & wherever you are, please send me an invitation to your daughter's wedding and I'll try not to get poop from my grandson's dirty diaper on her white dress when I change him in the open at the ceremony or the reception. Heck, maybe I'll just change him on top of the head table, there is a lot more room there than trying to change him in a pew or on a chair.

I'm glad that you don't have any petty objections regarding changing poop filled diapers in front of you, and others (the wedding guests) in public places.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-17-2014 at 06:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:38 AM

12,305 posts, read 10,062,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
You know I was thinking the post about the grandma abusing and photographing their granddaughter (see the post about the roasting pan and duct tape) was going to raise up all these parents in extreme anger and disgust. I was surprised it didn't. It gets a half hearted "crazy lady" for full on abusing a baby as opposed to the full on lynch mob after this woman and anyone who defends her (even if that defense is "it wasn't right but cut her some slack").

So when that post got a tiny fraction of the viciousness of this post, I was confused. But it hit me. People are so outraged because they are guilty too. Maybe they never changed a diaper in a restaurant (or maybe they did and don't remember or deny it). But every parent has been in a pinch and made a less then ideal decision. Be it mine to change my kids diarrhea diaper on two chairs in a docs office, or throwing a stinky diaper away in a public place, or littering or even taking a mildly sick kid in public only to find out they are mega sick.

We all, parents and full time care givers, have been in a situation where we make a less then ideal choice in a less then ideal circumstance. But so few people want to own that, so they attack others who have.

To me its an lol situation because I see it very clearly. The more mad you are, the more guilty you are.
Ummm. NOPE! Not a parent. Nor am I a caregiver. I do follow the guidelines of sanitation set by the state for restaurants. Call me crazy, but I don't crap where I eat. I expect others to do the same in a restaurant.

And NO I have NEVER changed a diaper in a restaurant or on a chair. I've got an army's worth of cousins and friends who have small children. I've never been with any of them who did what this person did either. There are bathrooms for this. If that doesn't work for you, then use your vehicle. Get off your lazy duff and walk to the 20 yards.

When I was an infant, we didn't have changing stations in restrooms. We didn't have wipe warmers. Heck, Pampers were brand new. Somehow I didn't die and my diaper was changed. If my mother was out somewhere with me, she changed me in the bathroom on the floor on a blanket. That blanket would get washed. She didn't have a car to go change me in. Imagine that. I made it to adulthood! And somehow she never changed me on a chair in a restaurant. She was completely disgusted when I showed her the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting