Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 09:48 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

A mom was asked to leave a restaurant for changing her baby's diaper at the table. The owners say customers complained.

Mom changes baby's diaper at restaurant - CNN.com Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
They should have been booted from a restaurant! It's unsanitary for them to change a diaper at a dining table. There's a reason the health department requires workers to wash their hands after using the bathroom. When a staff member wipes up this table or booth, they can get feces particles on their rag and transfer that throughout the restaurant. Not cool. Mom needs to find some class. She should have went out to her minivan.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
1) A family restaurant should have diaper changing facilities in the rest rooms.

2) It's very unsanitary changing a poopy diaper at the table. Yuck!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Disgusting. The parents were wrong and I'm glad they got booted.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I think it's really gross and it's hard to believe that the woman actually wants to be in the news for doing something so unsanitary. My guess is that she's seen all the recent coverage of women holding nurse-ins and she was hoping to get some attention of the same sort, some public sympathy. But this isn't the same as breastfeeding at a table...food belongs at a table, poop belongs in the bathroom.

When my kids were little, which wasn't that long ago, we didn't expect every restroom to have a changing table. If there wasn't one, we put the changing pad on the floor and changed the diaper there, or went out to the car and changed it on the back seat or in the trunk. I never would have changed a diaper at a table like that. I can't even imagine what the other restaurant patrons were thinking. I would have had to leave if I was at the table next to them and I would most likely never eat at that restaurant again...not the restaurant's fault but I just wouldn't be able to eat there again.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
1) A family restaurant should have diaper changing facilities in the rest rooms.

2) It's very unsanitary changing a poopy diaper at the table. Yuck!
THIS.

I also do not understand why this piece didn't explore/ask the restaurant why they didn't have a changing table in the bathroom?? That's just as controversial these days considering, as Zimbo noted, it is a family restaurant.

Doesn't mean the mom should have done what she did but that's the biggest question in my mind.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
When my son was little I very rarely used the changing tables because I thought they were kind of dirty. I usually changed him in his stroller or carseat, in the bathroom. No excuse for using the table. That's totally gross.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:22 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Yuck, good for the restaurant for booting them...

I never noticed til I had my daughter how many places don't have somewhere to change a baby.

I preferred to take her out to the car over changing her on the floor when she was an infant. I moved her over to pull-up type way before she was ready to potty train since we travel/eat out alot. That way she could stand and step into the clean pair....

My other pet peeve is people that just toss diapers around. I always carried a roll of pet disposal bags (or the plastic sleeve the newspaper comes in) - put the diaper in, tie a know, then twist and fold back over diaper and retie.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:24 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
THIS.

I also do not understand why this piece didn't explore/ask the restaurant why they didn't have a changing table in the bathroom?? That's just as controversial these days considering, as Zimbo noted, it is a family restaurant.

Doesn't mean the mom should have done what she did but that's the biggest question in my mind.
I came to the conclusion that some nicer places don't want to encourage people to bring small children.

Also - it only takes a few dirty diapers or one really stinky one to smell up a whole bathroom. I could see a restaurant not wanting to deal with dirty diapers in the trash...

Old 08-12-2014, 07:29 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
When my son was little I very rarely used the changing tables because I thought they were kind of dirty.
I never used a changing table once because I thought they were disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting