Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:07 PM

723 posts, read 868,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
To me being a human inherently makes someone important. For example, a raccoon and human aren't on the same level of importance in my world. Approaching a stranger I will assume they are inherently good/important/equal until they prove otherwise.
Hmmm well 'importance' is a different question and it could be argued that, although we can't start behaving like it's true because society collapses, really humans and racoons are equally worthless collections of inanimate matter (since the distinction between what is the simplest 'living' organism, and what is just molecules doing their thing the way chemistry dictates, is completely arbitrary).

Let's say that last paragraph is wrong though, and we actually are 'alive', and have some level of importance. Does the state of the world/society suggest that the typical person is particularly competent or have reliable opinions? I'd say no. Ignorance is rife, society is riddled with flaws, we have entire industries driven by silly insecurities, there are impending health disasters (eg. obesity) due to people repeatedly making stupid decisions, superstition & religious belief is still pervasive, the majority are scientifically illiterate and barely numerate, we have a ****-stirring media that only exists in that form because an idiot public makes it profitable, a political system that is rotten to the core yet is somehow still taken seriously... I could go on... so no, I think I'm justified in not automatically expecting much from a randomly selected person.

Last edited by el_marto; 08-16-2014 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:03 PM

300 posts, read 438,403 times
Without reading all the posts,
The "respect your elders" thing is BS.
I have a very hard time with "adults" who treat kids poorly/dismisively and demand respect in return.
I teach my kids not let "adults' push them around (figurativly) just because they're kids.
My kids aren't required to "respect" anybody they don't think (in their opinion) has earned respect.
Which doesn't mean that my kids are expected to conduct themselves with good manners.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:15 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Hmmm well 'importance' is a different question and it could be argued that, although we can't start behaving like it's true because society collapses, really humans and racoons are equally worthless collections of inanimate matter (since the distinction between what is the simplest 'living' organism, and what is just molecules doing their thing the way chemistry dictates, is completely arbitrary).
It really depends on your world view. The existential nihilism world view is really a tiny minority in our society though.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
Without reading all the posts,
The "respect your elders" thing is BS.
I have a very hard time with "adults" who treat kids poorly/dismisively and demand respect in return.
I teach my kids not let "adults' push them around (figurativly) just because they're kids.
My kids aren't required to "respect" anybody they don't think (in their opinion) has earned respect.
Which doesn't mean that my kids are expected to conduct themselves with good manners.
LOL - I can see your kid riding his bike through the neighbors lawn and telling some elderly man "shut up old man, you aint my daddy" after he yells stay off the lawn.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
It really depends on your world view. The existential nihilism world view is really a tiny minority in our society though.
It seems like the safest position to take though, it's the least that this reality can be, makes the fewest assumptions. I think I'm in that minority but this is not what the thread is about anymore so I'll shut up.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
You sound very secure in your choices. Any reason why you are asking for opinions?

My experience from parents who raise their children this way is that they start having problems in relationships.
This has been my experience as well. Don't understand why the OP is surprised by those who disagree with her philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
My house is not a business, school or establishment. It is our home.

We feel we are there to guide our children and encourage them.

We are not drill sergents. My DD knows the difference betweenn home and school.
Ahh, you see though, it is in your home where you TEACH your children how to behave at these establishments. It all starts at home. If your DS races his father to a specific chair that he knows your husband sits in, he is essentially demonstrating that he is on the same level as his father. Fast forward 20 years, he'll challenge his boss for the corner office! After all, he's his equal - right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
The brain develops based on environment. If you place someone in an empty room from birth with no stimulation, he/she will still have the mind of a newborn at age 10.

My children learn from what they are taught.

They have toys and get to play and have fun, but we don't assume that they are beneath us or incapable of anything.
You're now confusing brain development with social development. Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Children are not little adults. Have you ever heard of brain development?
BINGO

Quote:
Respect for which achievements? Respect has to be earned as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to be respected automatically either.
Good grief. Another rebellious attitude to social hierarchy. Newsflash: Achievements are honored and admired, even celebrated. One may achieve very little in life, but that doesn't mean he deserves less respect. And trust me, you DO want respect automatically. Otherwise you wouldn't have an opinion about giving others respect.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Good grief. Another rebellious attitude to social hierarchy. Newsflash: Achievements are honored and admired, even celebrated. One may achieve very little in life, but that doesn't mean he deserves less respect. And trust me, you DO want respect automatically. Otherwise you wouldn't have an opinion about giving others respect.
Yes it does, have you no standards? What is respect supposed to be based on if not achievements? Do you respect Albert Einstein more than David Icke?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Yes it does, have you no standards? What is respect supposed to be based on if not achievements? Do you respect Albert Einstein more than David Icke?
I'm trying to toss this around in my head and the conclusion I come to is that you're saying respect should only be based on achievements. Does this mean a child shouldn't respect their parents? After all, the only achievement that gives a parent the "mom" or "dad" label is having sex. The act of being a good parent can be rationalized as the parent simply taking responsibility for their decisions (having sex). Is being responsible a great achievement? What about the policeman or firefighter - what's their great achievement other than taking a job with a little more risk than other jobs?

For most Americans, I'd say respect has a philosophical/religious foundation. For Christians, I think most believe all people were created in the image of God. A quick Google search gives me the following:

Quote:
“Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king” (1 Peter 2:17).
Quote:
To respect everyone, believers must be conscious that God has created all people in His image, regardless of whether they believe in Christ. We should show them proper respect and honor because their souls are of more value than all the wealth in the world (Luke 10:33–34; 1 Corinthians 10:33).
Quote:
The apostle John wrote of this principle a number of times. Quoting Jesus, he writes, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34–35; cf. 15:12; 1 John 3:23).
Quote:
We honor and respect our governing authorities because they exist by the very will of God (Romans 13:1–7). Such respect must be given whether we agree with them or not. Those in authority are God’s instruments for carrying out the purpose of governing and worthy of the respect God mandates. When we obey the principles of this passage, we give genuine credibility to our faith. As believers, we are to honor our governing authorities and their rights as such. But we may not give to the government those rights that belong to God alone (Luke 20:25).
Of course not everyone is religious, but I'm just giving an idea of what grounds many people's ideas of respect.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Quote:
I'm trying to toss this around in my head and the conclusion I come to is that you're saying respect should only be based on achievements. Does this mean a child shouldn't respect their parents?
Take it a step further, does this mean children don't deserve respect either? After all what have they 'done' to deserve it. Sort of negates the whole argument doesn't it?

Old 08-19-2014, 12:46 AM

105 posts, read 110,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
This has been my experience as well. Don't understand why the OP is surprised by those who disagree with her philosophy.

Ahh, you see though, it is in your home where you TEACH your children how to behave at these establishments. It all starts at home. If your DS races his father to a specific chair that he knows your husband sits in, he is essentially demonstrating that he is on the same level as his father. Fast forward 20 years, he'll challenge his boss for the corner office! After all, he's his equal - right?

You're now confusing brain development with social development. Interesting...

BINGO

Suprised? nada. I am quite aware of traditional social faults.

Do you allow your children to sit on your bed? Do you share anything with them. I don't care if you're 6, 40 or 90 if someone doesn't want to share their stuff that should be observed. DH and I share the furniture and mostly everything in the home (within safety limits) with them. They understand that. I wouldn't expect them to touch another child's toys without permission either.

No actually I was talking about social development to begin with. "Brain" was her word not mine.

Age counts but achievments don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting