U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:06 PM

19,178 posts, read 10,208,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
IME there is really no difference.

Year around day cares that offer before and after school care and all day care in the summer often have a camp-like summer program where they swim or have water play and go on field trips at least once/week.

All day summer "camps", depending on where they are held, also do field trips and fun activities in the summer.

We have used a camp located in a rec center that utilized the facilities there and offered daily swimming, batting cages, gym time, etc and did weekly field trips. We've also used one based at a school that went on field trips almost every day (and charged extra for them.)

It just depends on what you want. I think the less disruption to the schedule the better, so I like the camp that is held at my kids' school.

Around here, soccer camp, theater camp, science camp, art camp, etc are all half day, and don't work for working parents.
This. The "camps" go from 9 to noon, or if it's a "full" day, they go from 9 to 3ish. Some offer before/after care, but it's an additional charge and it adds up to several hundred dollars per week. I love my son but I don't have 5000 or more so that he has a place to be in the summers while I work. And he's always had a good time even though his camp is more of a daycare. They have lots of activities and field trips plus a lot of time where they get to just hang out and play cards or games, which I think is important too. They work so hard in school these days, they really do need a break in the summer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:18 PM

9,010 posts, read 16,233,839 times
Btw: For next year.... If your company has Dependent Care account as part of its benefits plan. You can pay for summer "day" camp with Pre-Tax dollars. Something to think about during the fall benefits enrollment.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:22 PM

3,188 posts, read 2,928,577 times
We did day camp for our kids. My daughter is a rising kindy and my son a rising 1st grader. I pulled my daughter from her daycare/preschool after she graduated from Pre K in June. I could have sent my son there for the camp they have but my daughter wouldn't have gotten to go on any field trips. My daughter goes to the same day camp and she has gotten to do everything her brother has done.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,335,158 times
The majority of summer day camps we utilized specialized in certain activities and interests. There was horse camp, space camp, computer camp, sports camp, violin camp, art camp, music camp with the symphony, etc. There are day camps at the science center, museums, zoo, and all sorts of places. There are camps for all interests. Then there are the traditional type of outdoor summer camps at a lake property with swimming, boating, and all the traditional stuff. My children enjoyed variety. And they loved when they were old enough to go away for trips for a week or more at a time.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,973,430 times
My kids go to day camp. Some camps offer full-day options (8-5:30ish hours) at the base price, and others go 9-3 and cost extra for before/after care. If a camp doesn't offer those hours, then it's just not on my list of choices. There are some places that do half-day camps, but some of them offer morning choices and afternoon choices, so you can choose one from each and then get "lunch bunch" to cover the time in between to make a full day.

We have year-round school, so they have breaks for 3 weeks in the fall, winter, and spring, and then 5 weeks in the summer. It's nice because they can do different types of camps in different seasons, and it also spreads out the expense. It depends on the camp, but I have been paying $200-300 per week generally, per kid. This will be my first year sending both kids regularly though.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 PM

421 posts, read 451,013 times
Year round school?! I'm moving there!

Old 08-15-2014, 01:57 PM

330 posts, read 275,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
Yes, it's fantastic. Its the same amount of school days, the breaks are just distributed throughout the school year (9 weeks in school, three weeks off) instead of 3 months off. We LOVE it.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
Yes! We love the year-round school schedule. Most of the schools in my county are on a traditional schedule, but we can apply for a lottery if we want to get into the year-round school. Nobody is zoned for the YR school automatically, so it is purely a school of choice. There is a new year-round charter school this year too, so that one also has entrance by lottery only. There are more year-round schools in the next county over, so there are more camp opportunities there during intersession. But that works out fine for me since I work there, so I can just take the kids on the way to work.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:04 PM

19,178 posts, read 10,208,399 times
Some of the districts around here do all year schedules (I'm in Denver, it's some of the suburbs around here). Most people seem to like them if they use them, but since it's not universal, there are not always enough intersession activities and it seems to work better for people with a stay at home parent. A big positive people say is being able to take family vacations during non-peak times!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:09 PM

Yes, we did Disney last year over our fall intersession, which was a fantastic time to go!

I find that there are enough camp options here for intersession if I look at the ones near school and also near work. But certainly there are far more camp options in the summer than there are for intersession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or