U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:59 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,697,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You're getting off topic.
How could any parent let anything stand in the way of the safety of their children?
You have to look at this from the perspective of their religious beliefs. I'm sure they believe that if it is God's will, the girls will be found. They do not trust outsiders.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:08 PM

15,287 posts, read 16,828,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
You really need to do more research on laws and religious beliefs. The Old Order Amish do not believe in photographs as they believe that would be violating the graven images statute in the Bible. The Amish also do not go back on their beliefs for any reason. They are given exemptions from military service and paying social security, among other things, as well.

Remember the school shooting at the Amish school a few years back? None of the kids or the teacher physically fought back because of the Amish belief in non-violence. Yes, it cost them their lives, but they are willing to stick to their beliefs even if it means death. For what it's worth, the Amish community, including survivors and parents of killed girls, forgave the shooter right away because of their religious beliefs.

You're going to have a heck of a time convincing most Amish to bend their beliefs for any reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I wanted to amend my previous post by saying that they are not necessarily given military exemptions, but they will not fight, even if it means jail. They are, however, given many other legal exemptions, and many of their beliefs are quite well known by others.
Well, perhaps these Amish are more peaceful than the ones in Ohio who were fighting over spiritual differences. You cannot generalize about any religion.

Ohio Amish families cut hair, beards in feud - SFGate

Old 08-15-2014, 04:13 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, perhaps these Amish are more peaceful than the ones in Ohio who were fighting over spiritual differences. You cannot generalize about any religion.

That particular group is made up of what could only be called Amish Extremists. The vast majority of Amish are thinking about their families and rain and getting the cows milked and serving God. They are not obsessing over Peter Zook's beard.

Look at the article. The words "castoffs" and "disavowed" are aptly applied. They are NOT mainstream Amish.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-15-2014 at 04:35 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 04:40 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,360,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
It may be a tough call for some people, but I firmly believe that ensuring a minor child's physical safety trumps any parent's 1st Amendment right of religious expression. To me parents who fail to allow blood transfusions, withhold vaccinations, fail to help police locate missing kids, allow them to be around copious amounts of weed (like some Rastas), or otherwise by deeds of commission or omission endanger a kid, are morally bankrupt, ethically inhumane, and should be legally culpable.

Society has no greater duty than to protect its children. None.

End of story.
I pretty much agree with you there. When parents will not take measures to protect the immediate safety of their children -- no matter the reason -- someone needs to step in. We shouldn't turn a blind on a individuals who cannot fend for themselves.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:36 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,940,518 times
Quote:

They're not Amish. They're a cult.

Professor said Ohio hair-cutting group a cult, not Amish - LancasterOnline: News

Old 08-15-2014, 05:41 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,061,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
It may be a tough call for some people, but I firmly believe that ensuring a minor child's physical safety trumps any parent's 1st Amendment right of religious expression. To me parents who fail to allow blood transfusions, withhold vaccinations, fail to help police locate missing kids, allow them to be around copious amounts of weed (like some Rastas), or otherwise by deeds of commission or omission endanger a kid, are morally bankrupt, ethically inhumane, and should be legally culpable.

Society has no greater duty than to protect its children. None.

End of story.
I agree completely.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:19 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,982,884 times
Quote:

As I said, most Amish. Non-violence is a huge belief of theirs and why they came to this country in the first place. You can take a couple people out of any group that don't follow the rules or beliefs, but you can still generalize on basic tenets of different religions.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
THIS RIGHT HERE.

Those kids are forced into that religion, they were forced into what could have been much worse, who are their parents to decide FOR them that religion trumps their safety? Like really? They could have been tortured, screaming for help while their parents put religion over their safety.
If you get down to it, pictures wouldn't really have helped in this situation anyway. In these types of communities, people can recognize the two Amish girls of a particular age, wearing particular color dresses, with particular color hair (you can see some of their hair), in a van with a guy they obviously don't belong with. It would be glaringly obvious.

Look, we all know that you think religious people are all imbeciles who just like to follow fairy tales and push things on others. Please get over your own opinion of religious people and be tolerant of others who don't think the same way you do. I also know that you don't like our Constitution, but it's still the law of the land, and we all have religious freedom here.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yep, cult. They are not at all representative of the Amish (no matter what sect of Amish) at large.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
I am so not getting into this.
Peace out.
Last thing I need is the ban hammer coming down on me when I have other parts of this site I visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or