U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 10:56 AM

8,654 posts, read 4,792,536 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I wonder what the distinction is between "retired in one's 20s" and "willfully unemployed"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But aren't you the poster who several months ago posted that you are "retired" in your 20s? So basically your children won't have these things because you don't want to work. I remember you saying your girlfriend/wife does work. I think there's a difference between both of you working and not being able to provide better for your children, and not working because you have chosen to "retire" and "enjoy life" in your 20s while your significant other works. I guess I would see that differently if you were the stay at home parent caring for the children and the house, but in your thread about "retiring" early, I think you didn't have children to care for, you just did whatever you wanted to and your focus was on "enjoying life." I guess your spouse doesn't get to enjoy life because she has to support you and the kids.

I think all your threads are related to YOU not wanting to work.

Live the good life on $20k/year - retire in your 20s or 30s?

Old 08-16-2014, 11:02 AM

8,654 posts, read 4,792,536 times
Yes. On this thread and the other, I don't recall even one poster claiming that they provide The Best for their children... and the OP seems to be laboring under the impression that we are all upper middle class snobs, creating the Best Childhood Evah, no matter what the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because again, it is intellectually dishonest.

This entire thread is an exercise in being intellectually dishonest.

It isn't about what class the parents are, it is about not doing the best one can for their children, and instead doing the best one can of one's self.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:08 AM

15,758 posts, read 13,187,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svehla View Post
All subjective. I really wanted to say that the OP Eddie posts very interesting topics that really sets people off in many directions and he loves that. That is his intent. It is part hypothetical and part his reality in his posts. As others start screaming and ranting or calling him names he remains cool. It is so funny to read. Behind all those blue letters he is accused of being jealous of lies a true GENIUS!!!
Good job Eddy. Would love to know your IQ!
Matt is that you?

Old 08-16-2014, 01:02 PM

11,407 posts, read 6,441,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Best by whose standards?
Their self admitted standards when they admit to being capable of better but choosing not to obtain it.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But aren't you the poster who several months ago posted that you are "retired" in your 20s? So basically your children won't have these things because you don't want to work. I remember you saying your girlfriend/wife does work. I think there's a difference between both of you working and not being able to provide better for your children, and not working because you have chosen to "retire" and "enjoy life" in your 20s while your significant other works. I guess I would see that differently if you were the stay at home parent caring for the children and the house, but in your thread about "retiring" early, I think you didn't have children to care for, you just did whatever you wanted to and your focus was on "enjoying life." I guess your spouse doesn't get to enjoy life because she has to support you and the kids.

I think all your threads are related to YOU not wanting to work.

Live the good life on $20k/year - retire in your 20s or 30s?
Yes, that's me. I mentioned that thread several times in the last few days.

I'm in a great position for kids being young and retired so my cost will obviously be low. However, I am trying to discuss average people that aren't retired with children.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Ah, so the real question is not what you originally posted but rather, is it morally acceptable for parents to give less than they can to their children so they can go on vacation.

More than a little different.
You wanted a reason so I gave you one off the top of my head. But hey, even vacations can be seen as helping the child. Happy, relaxed parents that are able to enjoy fun vacations together could benefit the child. Perhaps this helps the parents be less stressed and it extends the life of their marriage - all things that benefit a child.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Because again, it is intellectually dishonest.

This entire thread is an exercise in being intellectually dishonest.

It isn't about what class the parents are, it is about not doing the best one can for their children, and instead doing the best one can of one's self.
What does this have to do with you being wrong about the professions I listed being lower middle class?

Old 08-16-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post

It's all about perspective. My best, would be a small country school, zero violence, 20 acres of land, with the house in the middle of it, minimal people, all of whom have each other's backs. That may not be the best for others. Parents who are doing THEIR best and trying to keep "greater good for all" as their driving force, well, I can't imagine them ever being made feel as if they aren't doing the "right" things.
You're idea of best sounds pretty good.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:12 PM

15,758 posts, read 13,187,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You wanted a reason so I gave you one off the top of my head. But hey, even vacations can be seen as helping the child. Happy, relaxed parents that are able to enjoy fun vacations together could benefit the child. Perhaps this helps the parents be less stressed and it extends the life of their marriage - all things that benefit a child.
Then lets be blunt.

If the parents cannot cope with their children or their marriage without caribbean vacations they save for by providing nothing more than the average to their children, than they shouldn't have kids.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Then lets be blunt.

If the parents cannot cope with their children or their marriage without caribbean vacations they save for by providing nothing more than the average to their children, than they shouldn't have kids.
So basically you are arguing that the parents' life should be 100% consumed by the child - with no personal enjoyment (vacations, hobbies, etc.)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or